Home Forums Logistics Sea Freight From China

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #992746
    owenwww
    Member
    • Total posts: 3

    Hi all,

    Since the beginning of the year, I’ve placed around half a dozen orders with several Chinese suppliers, each time using air freight to have the goods sent to me. As everyone knows this is very expensive, however my orders have not been large enough to consider the extra effort involved with sea freight. Until now. I’m planning on placing quite a large order of home decor products in the near future, and after just paying an air freight bill of a few thousand dollars, I certainly want to have them sent to me by sea freight.

    I know there are a few people here who handle this process for clients, but I haven’t seen anyone really step up and offer a door-to-door service like Cat used to here in some of the old threads I’ve found. It seems she’s closed her business and moved on now, but with 80,000 members on here, I’m sure there is a huge market for someone who can offer this service. Most of us are dealing with suppliers in China, and most of us are looking for a cheaper option than express air freight.

    Disclaimer: I have only partial hearing and so I would greatly appreciate someone who can be reached promptly via email/web rather than someone just saying, “Call me to discuss”.

    Thanks for your time,
    Owen

    #1187927
    Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,161

    Hi Owen,

    It is a predicament, and Cat was great, although door to door should be available from almost ALL FREIGHT FORWARDERS.. or good ones ;)

    Let me know if you dont locate anyone as i can certainly touch base with someone i trust, and i trusted with my own goods, to see if both of you are a good fit for each other.. True, my contact is an old school person and loves face to face to know people, although i am sure emailing shouldnt post much of a concern to assist and overcome your partial hearing obstacle (hope that wasnt impolite wording it like that?).

    Cheers

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1187928
    Hatching_It
    Member
    • Total posts: 414

    A lot of businesses are going to be hurting after Cat closed up Global Logistics.. Besides being an absolutely top person she was a godsend when it came to organising door to door sea freight. So much so that I simply stopped ordering my products that required sea freight and moved to air only products!

    Good luck finding someone, they’ll have large boots to fill

    #1187929
    arrowwise
    Member
    • Total posts: 641

    Owen, send me a message and I can highly recommend a bonified door to door Sea Freight operator.

    #1187930
    BuyGlobal
    Member
    • Total posts: 26

    Hi Everyone,

    I would like to introduce myself and our company Buy Global International. We are a small freight forwarding company based in Brisbane, offering our services Australia wide. Being a smaller company we feel we can offer a more personalized service while still having the reach and experience of a larger freight forwarding company.

    As mentioned above, most freight forwarders have the ability to offer a door to door service. The difficulty comes when trying to find a forwarder that is right for you, a company that understands the needs of small businesses.

    There are 2 main options when it comes to ocean freight, FCL and LCL. Full container load and less than container load. Ocean freight is by far a more affordable option for medium to larger quantities. Transit times can vary out of China depending on the port of origin and destination port. Transit times can range from 14 – 20 days. Ocean freight is a great option if you do not require fast transit times and are looking for a more budget friendly option. At the end of the day the less you pay for your freight the more you make on your product.

    The door to door aspect first arises when you agree on your terms of sale with your supplier. The 2 most beneficial terms of sale are FOB, free on board and EXW, Ex Works. FOB – your supplier pays for the transport of your goods to the port and onto the vessel including any export fees (generally worked into the cost of the goods). Ex Works – your supplier makes the goods available at their factory and the transport and export fees are handled by your freight forwarder. Both of these terms of sale offer you increased control of overall costs.

    The second aspect of a door to door service is the transport of your goods from the destination port to your door. This is arranged by your freight forwarder.

    If you have any further questions feel free to drop me a message and I will do my best to answer.

    Kind Regard
    Nic C

    #1187931
    cargohound
    Member
    • Total posts: 40

    Hi Owen – You can request a quote for your imports from China on CargoHound http://www.cargohound.com and get mutiple quotes back from “rated” service providers. This allows you to find a freight forwarder that fits your requirements and budget. Cheers Ian

    #1187932
    Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,161
    cargohound, post: 222071, member: 72000 wrote:
    Hi Owen – You can request a quote for your imports from China on CargoHound http://www.cargohound.com and get mutiple quotes back from “rated” service providers. This allows you to find a freight forwarder that fits your requirements and budget. Cheers Ian

    Are these FIXED prices or still held to ransom (lol) on fluctuating/variable costs?

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1187933
    cargohound
    Member
    • Total posts: 40

    Hi Harry – Definitely not fixed prices – CargoHound is an online marketplace and by its very nature competitive. So users can be sure to get the best price of the day. Being from the industry, we have also allowed for quick comparison so importers and exporters can compare the quotes they receive on an “apples to apples” basis, Cheers Ian

    #1187934
    cargohound
    Member
    • Total posts: 40

    Here is a short video on how it works https://cargohound.com/HowItWorks

    #1187935
    Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,161
    cargohound, post: 222075, member: 72000 wrote:
    Hi Harry – Definitely not fixed prices – CargoHound is an online marketplace and by its very nature competitive. So users can be sure to get the best price of the day. Being from the industry, we have also allowed for quick comparison so importers and exporters can compare the quotes they receive on an “apples to apples” basis, Cheers Ian

    So, definitely not fixed prices? how can one compare or shop for best rates if the prices are not fixed? Just curious on how one would identify the best option from any calculator or comparison if the prices can vary or be altered (which happens in freight of course) by the time it finally lands?

    The process has me intrigued..

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1187936
    cargohound
    Member
    • Total posts: 40

    The importer/exporter requests a quote and receives multiple quotes back from Service Providers. They then pick the “winning” quote based on the price, the “rating” and the transit time. This reduces the time taken, the overall cost and the risks associated with shopping around. Hope this helps

    #1187937
    Petemac
    Member
    • Total posts: 171

    With courier companies you will generally find that costs do not vary, as long as the weight or dimensions are as per the quote. With sea freight, the only variation from a quote, as long as shipped within any time frame that the quote is good for, (generally 14-21 days) should be the actual sea freight charge, as that is in USD$ if from China and that will vary as the currency rate changes for conversion into AUD$. Outside of the quote time, the actual sea freight cost can also vary. All the other costs associated with sea freight on landing in Australia should not vary.

    #1187938
    Sam2233
    Member
    • Total posts: 6
    owenwww, post: 220256, member: 45371 wrote:
    Hi all,

    Since the beginning of the year, I’ve placed around half a dozen orders with several Chinese suppliers, each time using air freight to have the goods sent to me. As everyone knows this is very expensive, however my orders have not been large enough to consider the extra effort involved with sea freight. Until now. I’m planning on placing quite a large order of home decor products in the near future, and after just paying an air freight bill of a few thousand dollars, I certainly want to have them sent to me by sea freight.

    I know there are a few people here who handle this process for clients, but I haven’t seen anyone really step up and offer a door-to-door service like Cat used to here in some of the old threads I’ve found. It seems she’s closed her business and moved on now, but with 80,000 members on here, I’m sure there is a huge market for someone who can offer this service. Most of us are dealing with suppliers in China, and most of us are looking for a cheaper option than express air freight.

    Disclaimer: I have only partial hearing and so I would greatly appreciate someone who can be reached promptly via email/web rather than someone just saying, “Call me to discuss”.

    Thanks for your time,
    Owen
    Hi Owen,

    In this case, a good solution will be as below:

    1. ask supplier to send cargo to our facility at China
    2. our staff at China will aggregate cargo in FCL and ship to AUS (currently only Sydney)
    3. After Custom Clearance, FCL container unpacking, cargo can be delivered as demanded.

    Cost will be much cheaper than air service, transit time looking at around 30 days to door.

    sam@auslineshipping.com.au
    feel free to shoot me emails with enquirers, thanks

    #1187939
    Rebekah_G
    Member
    • Total posts: 37

    Hi Owen,
    I know this post is from November, but i thought i would post just incase you haven’t found a reliable forwarder as yet. I would be happy to assist you and give you some pricing. I work in operations for Red Nav we have sister companies and excellent agents all over the world, allowing us to offer a great rate and reliable service. Sea freigth will mist definately save you money, but it will take quite a bit longer to get to you. Please email me at admin@rednav.com.au. I look forward to talking with you.
    Kind regards
    Rebekah

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.