Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Searching for Clothing Suppliers in India or elsewhere!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sabbyp
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up a new small business in childrens clothing and eco friendly toys. For my first run of clothing, I have used a supplier in India however I have found dealing with them extremely unprofessional and painful to say the least, therefore I am needing to find a new supplier. As I am only starting out I am needing a company that is prepared to work in small quantities (around 300-500 pieces) however all the companies Im contacting only deal in larger quantities. I am hoping someone might be able to suggest or point me in the right direction to finding a new supplier! My clothing is specifically GOTS certified 100% organic cotton (which is easy to source in India) but China not so much… I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone might have. Thanks in advance :-)

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up
    Sabbyp, post: 240549, member: 87433 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently in the process of setting up a new small business in childrens clothing and eco friendly toys. For my first run of clothing, I have used a supplier in India however I have found dealing with them extremely unprofessional and painful to say the least, therefore I am needing to find a new supplier. As I am only starting out I am needing a company that is prepared to work in small quantities (around 300-500 pieces) however all the companies Im contacting only deal in larger quantities. I am hoping someone might be able to suggest or point me in the right direction to finding a new supplier! My clothing is specifically GOTS certified 100% organic cotton (which is easy to source in India) but China not so much… I would appreciate any guidance or suggestions anyone might have. Thanks in advance :)
    Hi And Welcome to the Forums. It is great to have you Sabbyp!

I am sorry to hear about your experience so far.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some on-point advice.

Cheers

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up

Hi Sabbyp,

Firstly welcome to our little group :)

May I ask where you found your first supplier and also how are they being unprofessional?

I ask this due to having dealings with Indian’s in my business (slightly different) but there there are many cultural differences that shocked me at first and I found it very hard to communicate with them and get my message across, which led to frustration, I think from both party’s.

So I packed a bag and flew over there to meet them and talk, I have now been there 3 times in the last 18 months and it is a lot better in person to get the main specifications correct and then they have a clear understanding and all follow up communications are clearer.

For clothing and apparel I suggest looking at a member of the CMAI. (http://www.cmai.in/) and maybe consider attending one of their fairs if you have future ideas. Also look for Premium Sellers on Trade India (http://www.tradeindia.com)

I went over to India due to knowing this was my future I was investing in and I wanted to ensure quality and of course reduce frustration :):):)

I know, not everyone can get on a plane and fly over, but I think to build a real relationship with a main supplier it is really important, or find an agent in the area that can speak English clearly and can go and see your supplier. Examples below:

http://www.omsaisourcing.com/home/
    http://www.smallworldindia.com/

A friend is about to embark on manufacturing either in India or China, so I will go with her to help (she is nervous to travel alone), and we will be going to the Canton Fair in China to source suppliers.

Some food for thought for you
    Cheers
    Mischelle

Iris2004spring
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Hello Sabbyp, We happened to have some experience in baby clothing and children care products. The clothing products we made are quite similiar to Carter’s or Gerber, or Next children. Mainly for American market. The quality is better than Carter’s. I dont know if these are interesting to you? 300-500pcs per style/design is not a problem at all for most suppliers now, since business is tough, but if you mean 300 to 500 hundreds in total, for several styles, then you have to buy off the shelf from what the factories have in stock. If you want to have products custom made in very small quantity, you will have to pay a higher price for it.

a quantity of 300pcs per style (same design, might be 1 or 2 colors) if fine for one custom made design with 5 sizes, as I know. Normally factories will request you have a quantity which can use up a entire roll of fabric. Or you have to pay higher prices.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.