Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Seeking advice / feedback on telephone sales (Newbie)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EK92
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone!

I’m quite new here, along with probably being one of the youngest here as well.
    I have recently found a passion with sales and would love some help from the flyingsolo community!

I have officially started my sales career with a great company that provides a higher class SERVICE to individuals, 3 weeks ago!
    Right now I am focusing on Cold Calling AND Quotes / Face to face sales.
    From what I have picked up on from researching the topic and of course failing many calls, I have improved:

– My tone of voice. I always start confident and strong but adjust depending on how soft or loud the individual is.
    – Smiling and using a “back to back” kind of approach where I ask questions and find out a bit more about the prospect and establishing a friendly environment.
    – Not talking about so much ME, rather how it benefits THEM. (Which is still hard)

That’s all I’ve picked up on for now. I also have written a script which I have tweaked and would LOVE feedback. I also have a few questions.

– A few prospects threatened to take matters further which has affected my confidence, should I be worried? I don’t have anything but a name and number, nothing more.
    – Is cold calling legal?
    – How can I convince these people to go with us, even though they had no previous relationship with us at all?

The script I have written is below. Thanks for your time!

ME: Hello, my name is XXX. Have I caught you at a bad time?
    PERSON: Yes, but who is this?
    ME: Thanks once again for the opportunity, my name is XXX and I’m calling from XXXX XXXX. Have you heard about us at all?
    PERSON: No, who/what are you.
    ME: We help take the stress out of everyday choirs by providing our services to individuals like you and me. We have clients ranging from stay at home mums to highly successful business owners. Our quality of standards is always the same, and if you would allow it, I would love to schedule 10 to 15 minutes of your time to explain more about the exciting ways we go about providing our services.

Hopefully I get a quote and things go from there, apologies for the long read.
    Thanks!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there EK92, and welcome,

To help people give you the best advice, can you clarify more about what you mean when you say,

Quote:
    A few prospects threatened to take matters further which has affected my confidence, should I be worried? I don’t have anything but a name and number, nothing more.

It will probably also be helpful if you can tell us where you got the names and phone numbers from. (And has anyone checked whether they’re on the Do not call register?)

All the best for your new venture, and good on you for giving it a go :)
    Jayne

PS: You forgot to share your name with us, so apologies for the impersonal welcome, by the way.

EK92
    Up

Hello FS, it’s no problem about the name.

What I mean is that even though I state that I’m not calling to bother them, they are still finding that I am.

I’m not sure where we get the lists from though. It also doesn’t state if there on a do not call list or not.
    Would there be companies that would sell lists in specific to what industry we work in?

Many thanks.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Hey EK92.

If I get a cold call from someone who doesnt know if I am on the do not call register, you are bothering me, and I will very quickly waste your time.

You obviously don’t know much about your prospective client – You are wasting their time.

But hey would you like to buy some goats while you are bothering me.

EK92
    Up
    bb1, post: 198308 wrote:
    Hey EK92.

If I get a cold call from someone who doesnt know if I am on the do not call register, you are bothering me, and I will very quickly waste your time.

You obviously don’t know much about your prospective client – You are wasting their time.

But hey would you like to buy some goats while you are bothering me.

I appreciate the advice about the do not call list and having a back ground to work with prospects! Thank you.

However, I’m not sure if your last sentence was an attempt to be funny or boost your ego.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    EK92, post: 198319 wrote:
    I appreciate the advice about the do not call list and having a back ground to work with prospects! Thank you.

However, I’m not sure if your last sentence was an attempt to be funny or boost your ego.

No ego at all, you ring me and waste my time, and I will waste your time.

EK92
    Up
    bb1, post: 198323 wrote:
    No ego at all, you ring me and waste my time, and I will waste your time.

Moving on then haha.

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Ok, here is my opinion…

I think you are trying to sell too early. If you are going to cold call, you need a conversion sequence.

1. You need to qualify your target market. If you list has not done that then you need to start with a telemarketing call and ask qualifying questions.

State you name and business and ask permission to ask a couple of quick questions to attain if in fact they are a prospect. This will stop you from wasting time trying to sell to the wrong person.

2. You then need to ask for an appointment or permission to send some information about your service. If you have qualified them, then this should be easy.

3. You need to follow up in 7 days time and find out some if they have any question.

4. You may try selling a small or trial service to gain their confidence

5. Not everyone is ready at the time you call. So keep notes and follow up later.

6. Get referrals and testimonials from existing customer

With out knowing more about your product or service, this is the only advice I can give.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.