Home – New Forums Starting your journey Seeking advice to start a new business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    George06li
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

I have a small business now. What are the things that I need to do to make it grow?

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

Growing most things requires an idea of what you want to grow and then the care and attention to make it happen.

With business it’s usually doing more of what you do. A good starting point is what do you want to grow it into. Once you know that you can start looking at what’s needed to make that happen, because all growth requires additional resources. Planning what’s required and the timing (and funds) would certainly help as well. Make it more manageable by only looking 12 months ahead and then break that into 4 quarters and break the quarters into the weeks of that quarter. It’s then easier to know what you need to be doing week by week so that you are on the right track to achieving the goals you set yourself when you worked out what you want to grow your business into.

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

Step 1 – don’t ask for general advice. If you legitimately need help seek out some people who have some expertise in your particular field (I don’t think there’s any problem mentioning what you do in your thread) and give some context on what might have worked well for you in the past.

Kennethti
    • Total posts: 415
    Up
    George06li, post: 126862 wrote:
    I have a small business now. What are the things that I need to do to make it grow?

You will need proper accounting, business plans, marketing plans, and customers.

But seriously, before anyone can provide you with helpful feedback and suggestions, you will need to tell us a little more about your business, what you are doing, what services/goods you are selling, how you’ve been doing so far, where are you operating out of, the structure of your business, and what kinds of plans you have been implementing (and what has worked for you so far).

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi George06li,

Welcome to Flying Solo :)

As others have mentioned, we’ll be better able to help you if you tell us more about yourself and your business.

The best ways to do that are to start by posting in the introductions thread and also setting up your forum signature to include details about your business. (You can do that in the Control panel, which is accessed from the grey bar above the forum).

Looking forward to getting to know you,
    Jayne

Dane Pymble
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

Hi George

I have an ebook coming out soon on this exact topic! I agree with the comments you have received thus far, particularly that on being specific. I do know though that it is hard to be specific when you are trying to find out where to start!

You will get a thousand different perspectives and this is just mine. The following is a list of steps with practical ways of applying those steps in the way I would suggest following when looking to start and grow a business. You may have already done some of these, some may not be relevant to your particular business and some you may not have thought of and can apply.

1. Develop the idea – Focus on solving problems/providing solutions to people rather than selling widgets. People like to buy but they don’t like to be sold to. I am reading a great book at the moment on this point called The $100 Start-up. Well worth reading

2. Put that Idea into a Business Plan

3. Choose the right Business Structure – This comes back to what type of business you are trying to create. Are you Flying Solo or will you be adding employees. Will you be taking on external investors? These types of questions are important to answer to get your Business Structure right and avoid stress and pain down the track.

4. Have Your Logo Designed

5. Set up your website – Having a website is a must regardless of what you are doing. It adds credibility and allows inquirers to get an understanding of what it is you offer compared to your competitors. The steps to follow here are 1. Register a Domain Name 2. Find a web host (generally best to have a different web host from your domain registrar in case one of the two goes down or God Forbid out of business) 3. Get Your Website Designed & Developed. This might be a tad controversial but I believe you should have a developer develop your site and a designer design, they are usually really good at one discipline and not so good at the other.

6. Raise Capital (But only when and if you really are ready) – Often raising capital is seen as a magic bullet to small business success. I can assure you it’s not. I have seen far too many businesses raise capital too early without clear plans and fall-back mechanisms, not to mention founders who aren’t comfortable having external investors having a say in how the business is run. Having said all that I found a great course on Udemy that will help you prepare your business to raise capital should you wish to go down that path

Notice I haven’t even got to the marketing or “grow” part yet! As you apply the above steps as you embark on your small business journey you will find that ways to grow your business will be discovered as a natural part of applying these steps.

Hope this has helped:)

paulhopkins
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

start working with bigger investors and play bigger than what you are. Take advantages of all the moments that strikes your way , this will help you to grow your business.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.