Home – New Forums Starting your journey seeking help for staring online pet store

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shelly186
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    just wondering if anyone can help me.
    I’m looking at starting an online pet store, just starting off small and potentially growing. I was wanting to do market stalls and selling online.
    I’m just unsure of where to really start.
    I need some tips on starting up.
    I’m wanting this as i love pets/animals.
    and if anyone knows of any wholesalers, how to approach them and so on, help will greatly be appreciated.
    thanks for your help!
    Shell

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Shelly,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

Sounds like a big undertaking, so I’d start by buying, and caring for, and selling a few puppies (or whatever animal you think) at the markets or in the paper, and that will give you some feel for what it’s like.

E.g. Is caring for several animals what you expected? Does it cost more than you expected? Are they harder to sell than you expected? Do you enjoy weekends at the markets? What feedback or questions did people ask? What other animals were they after? And so on.

Then if everything is working out you can look at getting more animals, and other selling methods such as an online store, and investing money into it.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :)

Dave

Shelly186
    Up

Hi Dave,
    thanks for your response!
    I wasn’t so much looking at selling animals to start with, more so pet supplies so eg. collars, leads, bowls ect so more like pet supplies rather than animals.
    I’m new to starting my own business, so I have alot of research and working out to do!
    thanks
    Shell

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Shelly

You just need to start doing your research and creating a business plan of sorts. Don’t underestimate the work level required to make this successful, online stores are hard work.

You will be able to find plenty of wholesalers from a google search or two and most will have details on their website as to how you have to approach them.

Make sure you create both a personal and business budget and look into all the costs as thoroughly as you can.

The more planning you do the easier it will be long term.

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Find someone that is already established and actively doing what you want to do and reach out to them.

For the online stuff, I would advise you get a mentor. There is a LOT to take in.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

This suggestion has been mocked before on here but I still believe that it is worthwhile.

Buy some of your preffered products, and try selling on Ebay, thats a dirty word to some, but that way you will get an idea if you really want to do it long term, the work involved, you can setup some arrangements with wholesalers, ideas on costs and profit margins to expect. Before you do it see what others are doing on there as well. Once you are at a point to say its a goer, you can than start sending out you product with links to your new online site, etc.

We have just gone thru a year of trialling a few different products, we know what works and what doesnt, when and when not sales can be expected for the products, and we are now playing withing the idea of expending to our own online site.

People will say that Ebay fee’s are to high, but when you look at the initial cost of setting up a site for yourself thats a lot of product you can sell on Ebay, before you even earn a dollar.

The other argument will be that Ebay is only for cheap stuff, I can assure you we are selling product above the RRP in some instances, and people are buying, plus they have to pay postage. So don’t get swept up in that arguement. Sure some products you wont be able to compete on, but if you select the correct products you will. The products which you cant compete on with Ebay will possibly be an issue with your own site anyhow, as why would they come to you if they can get it cheaper on Ebay.

Just a suggestion, it is a cheap and cost effective way of seeing if it is really for you, and to set up initial arrangements with wholesalers.

EcommerceTools
    • Total posts: 24
    Up

Hi Shelly,

If you need any advice on which eCommerce platform and payment system is best along with how to maximise your online stores potential, we offer free and impartial advice for anyone starting out in eCommerce.

Take a look at http://www.ecommercetools.co

Thanks (:
    Nick

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up
    bb1, post: 207581 wrote:
    This suggestion has been mocked before on here but I still believe that it is worthwhile.

Buy some of your preffered products, and try selling on Ebay, thats a dirty word to some, but that way you will get an idea if you really want to do it long term, the work involved, you can setup some arrangements with wholesalers, ideas on costs and profit margins to expect. Before you do it see what others are doing on there as well. Once you are at a point to say its a goer, you can than start sending out you product with links to your new online site, etc.

We have just gone thru a year of trialling a few different products, we know what works and what doesnt, when and when not sales can be expected for the products, and we are now playing withing the idea of expending to our own online site.

People will say that Ebay fee’s are to high, but when you look at the initial cost of setting up a site for yourself thats a lot of product you can sell on Ebay, before you even earn a dollar.

The other argument will be that Ebay is only for cheap stuff, I can assure you we are selling product above the RRP in some instances, and people are buying, plus they have to pay postage. So don’t get swept up in that arguement. Sure some products you wont be able to compete on, but if you select the correct products you will. The products which you cant compete on with Ebay will possibly be an issue with your own site anyhow, as why would they come to you if they can get it cheaper on Ebay.

Just a suggestion, it is a cheap and cost effective way of seeing if it is really for you, and to set up initial arrangements with wholesalers.

I agree with Bert on this. Ebay is a great place to do some market research and see exactly what sells and what doesn’t. Another site to try is Gumtree.

There are a lot of quite big online sellers who only use these platforms and manage to make a lot of money.

sylv
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Shell,

I’m glad to hear you’re not trying “to sell a few puppies”, lol. Since you say you love animals you are no doubt aware that the government is finally cracking down on puppy mills and unlicensed breeders.

In regards to pet supplies, I suggest you find a niche you can specialize in. It’s a competitive market with big online stores selling everything on the planet. People are spending big on accessories for their pets. Quality nutrition (healthy food and treats) or support for injured or old animals (braces, shoes, special beds) are other areas that are growing.
    And just on a side note: if you decide to sell dog training equipment, please stay away from aversive stuff such as choke chains or shock collars. That way you can set yourself apart by actively promoting animal welfare.

Good luck,
    Sylvie

asafkatz
    Up

Hey Shelly ,
    I’m stumbling upon your post with about year delay and wondering how did you go? did you end up launching your store? and if so – what did you learn?

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    asafkatz, post: 228629, member: 72469 wrote:
    Hey Shelly ,
    I’m stumbling upon your post with about year delay and wondering how did you go? did you end up launching your store? and if so – what did you learn?

Hi there asafkatz, and welcome,

The two posts you’ve commented on are quite old now, so your posts may not be seen by those who started them.

If you’re asking because you’re planning to start a similar business yourself, the best approach will be to start a new thread introducing yourself in the New here? section of the forum, and then start a second one in the Starting your journey section to ask any questions you’d like to discuss.

Hope that helps :)
    Jayne

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.