Home – New Forums Logistics Seeking help. I dont know what to do with an import-export business

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    thuynguyen
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

hi all,
    My family has a manufacturing business. As it is a small business, we have been trading wholesale with clients in America through an agent. Now, we are thinking of exporting our products to Australia without using an agent. What is a sound business idea to do so?
    1. As I have just finished my master study in Australia and applying for temporary visa. Should I open an import-export company under a new name as an intermediary between my family’s company and new clients in Australia? And is it possible to do so? or
    2. I just start promoting our business through B2B and ship products directly to clients from our company in Vietnam? or
    3. Open a subsidiary in Australia but I am not sure if it is possible for a small company like us. Or
    4. any other ideas?
    If you have any idea and experience, please advise me. I am new to run a business and my family does not have any experience on trading with foreign customers independently.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Thuy

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Thuy,

Thanks for posting your queries.

Could you please confirm for us whether you’re based in Australia or Vietnam? (This is a forum for small business owners based in Australia).

Thank you – and good luck for your venture.

Jayne

thuynguyen
    Up

Thanks Jayne,
    My family biz s based in Vietnam but I am applying for a graduating visa (TR) to look for a job. Thus, I am able to stay here nearly 2.5 years (1.5 years from TR + more nearly 1 year for application processing)
    In my case, is it possible to open a business?
    Cheers

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Thuy,

Thanks for clarifying that you’re in Australia.

I’m not the right person to answer your question, but hopefully someone around here will be able to help you out.

cheers
    Jayne

Krisy
    • Total posts: 65
    Up

Hi Thuy,

If you are currently on a temp visa or student visa there may be restrict conditions you need to meet in terms of working hours etc, also I though to be able to register a company in AUS you either need to be a Premenant resident or citizen. I think you should check with Australian business registration or ASIC first just to make sure that you are eligible for registering a company here, then you can plan how you want to run the business.

Hope this help.

Krisy

thuynguyen, post: 82834 wrote:
    hi all,
    My family has a manufacturing business. As it is a small business, we have been trading wholesale with clients in America through an agent. Now, we are thinking of exporting our products to Australia without using an agent. What is a sound business idea to do so?
    1. As I have just finished my master study in Australia and applying for temporary visa. Should I open an import-export company under a new name as an intermediary between my family’s company and new clients in Australia? And is it possible to do so? or
    2. I just start promoting our business through B2B and ship products directly to clients from our company in Vietnam? or
    3. Open a subsidiary in Australia but I am not sure if it is possible for a small company like us. Or
    4. any other ideas?
    If you have any idea and experience, please advise me. I am new to run a business and my family does not have any experience on trading with foreign customers independently.
    Thuy
    2andfromsydneyairport
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi Thuy ,
    We are involved with the Vietnamese community in cabramatta , Sydney .
    You could talk to my wife ( her name Thuy also ) in Vietnamese or myself in English or send an email .

You can find our phone numbers on the website http://www.2andfromsydneyairport.com.au

thuynguyen
    Up

1.Thanks all for your replies.
    2.Thanks Krisy, you may be right, i will check the regulation to see what suits me.
    3.To 2andfromsydneyairport: Thanks alot. I got your email but rarely had time to reply, i will contact you guys as soon as i get sufficient information. Im in Brisbane btw.
    Cheers
    Thuy

Stan the Man
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    thuynguyen, post: 82834 wrote:
    hi all,
    4. any other ideas?
    Thuy

Hi Thuy,
    For option 3, if you are going to bring in the products under ur Australia Subsidiary company name and sell it locally you have to get a customs broker to arrange clearance and also logsitics company to arrange warehousing and distribution.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.