Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Seeking tips on how to use Sourcebottle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RachelWrites
    • Total posts: 81
    Up
    ::

I’ve just discovered the wonder that is Sourcebottle, but I’m not sure how to respond to a “call out”.

Does anyone have any tips on what to put in the “comments” section, and then what I attach? Is the attachment optional or meant to be for a profile / press release?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated :)

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi Rachel,

Don’t overthink it too much. Usually each shout out describes exactly what they want. Eg if they want stationery for a magazine, you’d respond with a link (if online) high res images, RRP and short description.

The main aim is to save journos time and speak to them like humans :)

RachelWrites
    Up

Thanks Leah :)

I really want to do this thing right (as I know there are a thousand bidders for most call outs) so, if I were to respond to this call out, for example, and I was offering $600 of free coaching, what would I write in the comments section? Something like – “Offering $600 worth of free home business startup coaching” and then a few details of my business and my offering?

In that case, would I need an attachment?

sourcebottle
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    RachelWrites, post: 204458 wrote:
    I’ve just discovered the wonder that is Sourcebottle, but I’m not sure how to respond to a “call out”.

Does anyone have any tips on what to put in the “comments” section, and then what I attach? Is the attachment optional or meant to be for a profile / press release?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated :)

Hiya Rachel. So thrilled you’ve found us! My best tip for responding to a call out via our service is to consider what you write carefully, as a good response can yield significant media attention for you and your business. The recognised business journalist Valerie Khoo has noted what she looks for in a response to her call outs in this article: http://valeriekhoo.com/2011/11/3-steps-to-more-publicity/

What she stresses in her response, which I couldn’t agree more with is that you need to ‘show your hand’. In other words, state your position on a query, eg. pro-sugar OR anti-sugar and why you feel that way.

And make sure your contact details are accurate too. :)

Oh, and please don’t feel compelled to attach anything at all, unless it’s requested. I urge you not to attach a press release, unless it’s offered as a general backgrounder or supplementary material. (Journalists have complained to me when they’ve just received a press release.)

I hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Bec

RachelWrites
    Up

Hi Bec!

Well, I never thought when I posted this thread that I would have the founder answer my question :) . Many thanks for taking the time to respond, and congratulations on building such an awesome service!

Your comments and Valerie’s post have cleared it up for me, so I’ll get straight to responding and see how I go.

Thanks again :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    sourcebottle, post: 204510 wrote:
    Hiya Rachel. So thrilled you’ve found us! My best tip for responding to a call out via our service is to consider what you write carefully, as a good response can yield significant media attention for you and your business. The recognised business journalist Valerie Khoo has noted what she looks for in a response to her call outs in this article: http://valeriekhoo.com/2011/11/3-steps-to-more-publicity/

What she stresses in her response, which I couldn’t agree more with is that you need to ‘show your hand’. In other words, state your position on a query, eg. pro-sugar OR anti-sugar and why you feel that way.

And make sure your contact details are accurate too. :)

Oh, and please don’t feel compelled to attach anything at all, unless it’s requested. I urge you not to attach a press release, unless it’s offered as a general backgrounder or supplementary material. (Journalists have complained to me when they’ve just received a press release.)

I hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Bec

Hi Bec,

It’s nice to see you here :)

Thanks for dropping by, and for sharing those handy tips with us – I’m sure there are more than a few people in this neck of the woods who will find them useful.

Love your work,
    Jayne

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.