Home – New Forums Money matters Self employed…Do I really need an accountant?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chippy rain
    Participant
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi I’m looking for some advice,
    Running a small business (just me) and with my income fairly low, less than $50,000 I have been doing my tax return online etc so I have never needed an accountant really.

Problem I’m having is when applying for credit cards or rental properties I keep getting asked for my accountants name etc?

How do other people handle these situations?

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

You’ll find very few businesses run entirely without an accountant – at least at a minimal level.
    I suggest you find one as the need will increase as your business and life changes.
    The right one would also add a lot of value to your business well past simply the Tax Return side of things.

James Millar
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,739
    Up
    Chippy rain, post: 259250, member: 61345 wrote:
    Running a small business (just me) and with my income fairly low, less than $50,000 I have been doing my tax return online etc so I have never needed an accountant really.

Problem I’m having is when applying for credit cards or rental properties I keep getting asked for my accountants name etc?

My thoughts are

1. I suspect these organisations are potentially using it as a qualifying tool. They probably rate tax documents from accountants to a higher standard.

2. Your business seems to be truly micro but yes it is possible that a good accountant will add value to your financial affairs.

Helping build better businesses and better lives with expert financial and taxation advice. [email protected] www.360partners.com.au 03 9005 4900
    theone491
    • Total posts: 12
    Up
    Chippy rain, post: 259250, member: 61345 wrote:

Hmm…I never get asked accountant details, lol.

Yeah its a good idea to have an accountant even just for a tax return. They give a second opinion and can point out mistakes even for just a couple hundred dollars and their fees are tax deductable.

Even more highly beneficial is to educate oneself on taxes, read and research the ATO website..thats what I do.

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi

Speaking as an accountant/financial planner myself:

1 – you cannot independently verify your earnings are true and fair doing your own accounts. This is applicable when applying for credit through a bank, eg a credit card.

2 – if you want to grow your business then , at some point you need to talk to an accountant even if its to “chew the fat” and get suggestions.

Thanks.

Steven

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.