Home – New Forums Starting your journey Sell Equity? Get a loan? Or…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TPC
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys,

Most of you would know roughly what I’m doing. I am the founder of The Protein Club (theproteinclub.com), 18 years of age, and moving step by step with my enterprise. Now..

I am 18, and the banks will not offer me a loan over $6000. I had a meeting and this is the max I can get is $6000.

In my business plan, I have budgeted for $40,000 to start, with $15,000 initial stock and $20,000 investment in marketing with a marketing strategy I have got.

My initial options which I considered:

• $40,000 bank loan (But that won’t happen now!)
    • $40,000 in equity for 49% STAKE in The Protein Club
    • Loan from an Investor

With all 3 options, I have somewhat hit a brick wall. I have already invested quite a bit of money into the business myself and it has come to a point where, to get this off the ground, I feel joining forces with an investor would be my best bet, but is there an option to somehow get the money, and not sell 49% of the company at such an early stage? Investors may not even be interested this early.

I look forward to hearing your opinions

Thanks
    Zac

Craig.Smith
    • Total posts: 167
    Up

Are your parents willing to be a guarantor for a business loan if they have available equity?

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Zac,

Is TPC earning you any income yet? Getting some initial members will be crucial for proving to an investor that they’re buying into a business and not just an idea.

So before you spend $40k (from any source) on stock (that you might not sell) and marketing, get some members anyway you can. Even if it’s stalking people 1 by 1 in gym carparks.

Here is a great article by Paul Graham that discusses how some huge companies started out this way and why: http://paulgraham.com/ds.html

Dave

NickKaro
    • Total posts: 226
    Up
    TPC, post: 208863 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Most of you would know roughly what I’m doing. I am the founder of The Protein Club (theproteinclub.com), 18 years of age, and moving step by step with my enterprise. Now..

I am 18, and the banks will not offer me a loan over $6000. I had a meeting and this is the max I can get is $6000.

In my business plan, I have budgeted for $40,000 to start, with $15,000 initial stock and $20,000 investment in marketing with a marketing strategy I have got.

My initial options which I considered:

• $40,000 bank loan (But that won’t happen now!)
    • $40,000 in equity for 49% STAKE in The Protein Club
    • Loan from an Investor

With all 3 options, I have somewhat hit a brick wall. I have already invested quite a bit of money into the business myself and it has come to a point where, to get this off the ground, I feel joining forces with an investor would be my best bet, but is there an option to somehow get the money, and not sell 49% of the company at such an early stage? Investors may not even be interested this early.

I look forward to hearing your opinions

Thanks
    Zac

Zac

Have you considered crowdfunding? No up-front cost and it might lead to both the cash, marketing/members you need to start strong.

Consider it a form of pre-selling your memberships in a transparent way – just another option to think about.

Let me know if you have any questions about the process.

Regards
    Nick

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.