Home – New Forums Find the help you need Selling A Website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Gibson
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone

I am looking for guidance on where the best place to sell an existing website?

Basically, a few years ago, I set up a website and spent about $15,000 doing so and now I have moved on to a more profitable enterprise.

The website has a fairly good SEO Ranking (PR3) and it would be a shame to feel that all the hard work that has gone into it will go to waste.

The website is a directory for the health & fitness industry, which accepts a yearly paypal fee for a business to advertise on the site.

It also has over 550 Fitness related articles that drive traffic to the site through Google.

The website also have 1,300 real facebook fans on its page and over 7,000 twitter followers.

Im not expecting to get my money back in full, but a small percentage would be nice.

I look forward to your responses and thanks in advance!

Cheers
    Mitch

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

flippa.com

Spend a bit of time reviewing auctions and what information you should provide to elicit the best price.

And the value of your site will basically be on unique visitor numbers, and/or income being earned from adsense, affiliate marketing or similar. If you’re selling based just on the site and content only, you’re unlikely to see much return on your 15k in all honesty.

Mitch Gibson
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 155873 wrote:
    flippa.com

Spend a bit of time reviewing auctions and what information you should provide to elicit the best price.

Thanks Dave

Do you think there would many Australian buyers on the site or is it mostly US based?

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Lot’s of Aussie buyers, it’s the main site for selling websites from anywhere.

Mitch Gibson
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 155880 wrote:

Fantastic, Thanks a million Dave!

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 155880 wrote:

Yeah Flippa’s the only place to sell your website. I’ve sold a couple there with good results.

Mitch Gibson
    Up
    easypeas, post: 155959 wrote:
    Yeah Flippa’s the only place to sell your website. I’ve sold a couple there with good results.

Thanks, I did a bit of research and your right, it is the market leader for sure. The owners are actually based in Melbourne.

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

Australia and particularly Melbourne has an impressive representation in the web-related business scene.

Sitepoint started out as a forum where you could buy and sell websites as well as partake in design contests (that’s where I started out).

They broke all these ideas out into separate websites and now make a tidy profit from Flippa, 99 Designs and a few others. They recently rebranded the parent company to Wave Digital – wavedigital.com.au.

Envato is another big one. They run Theme Forest amongst a number of other web marketplaces.

Back on topic: for what it’s worth I certainly think Flippa is the best place to sell your website. There are a few alternatives but nothing with the same depth and diversity of buyers.

Just don’t expect to recoup your $15,000 if the website isn’t making that much money. When I was flipping sites you could expect a sale price around 12 x monthly revenue – unfortunately the time and money you put into developing the site doesn’t often factor into the buyers’ decisions.

Mitch Gibson
    Up
    James Rayers, post: 155985 wrote:
    Just don’t expect to recoup your $15,000 if the website isn’t making that much money. When I was flipping sites you could expect a sale price around 12 x monthly revenue – unfortunately the time and money you put into developing the site doesn’t often factor into the buyers’ decisions.

Yes, I don’t expect that much at all.

I am just curious to see if I can get anything for it, rather then just let it go.

JamesNorquay
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

If the website is not currently making any thing it may be hard to get any money, I have sold a few websites over the years for $XX,XXX+ ranges. To be honest if the website is really good and is making a decent amount I wouldn’t even use Flippa I would use a website broker.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.