Home – New Forums Starting your journey Selling custom made products – where to start?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PetesPlans
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’m starting a part-time electronics manufacturing business, supplying custom built microprocessor controlled devices.

I am willing to start small (one or two jobs would get rid of the nervous feeling), but after trying to create an advertising list it seems to me that i really need an actual product to sell. Let me explain… I can design and build anything that comunicates with someones computer program, takes temperature readings, user inputs, displays, LCD readouts etc etc, but i don’t actually have a product to sell. I need someone to come to me and say, “i need this to do this…”. But where do i start? My products would be small enough to ship Australia wide and i am experienced enough to create software with a basic set of requirements (via email etc), but i am starting to think that i need an actual finished product to sell to an exact market, then push the custom thing from there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Website is http://www.fullcircuitelectronics.com.au if that helps – i know the main logo is missing – any thoughts on that too would be nice :)

Cheers,

Pete.

Sydney Business
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Hi Pete and congratulations on your new business.

I would suggest that you try to be as specific as you can towards industry/client that could use your service.

For example – could a plumber use your service to create or maintain their technology?
    Could an engineer or builder use you?

Once you can figure out one use you will figure out more and this is where your targeted marketing needs to begin. You can’t be everything to everyone!

Best of luck

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Pete,

You have a brilliant and envyable skillset, but its also extreemly niche.
    My suggestion is to look at high ticket technlogy which is currently available and buggy. Find one which which you will easily replicate, stabilise and profit from. Then productise it and begin hitting your market.

Industries which I would look at first would be security and mesh networking.

Steve

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I’d agree 100% with Steve on this one, find a few that in your opinion are rubbish, and build something better.

One I’d look at, which is an extension of what’s been suggested, is window systems (operable louvres et al). Especially twelve volt stuff.

I’ve personally had dramas with fitting automated 12 volt systems to high bay (beyond physical reach) louvre systems for ventilating commercial buildings … they were a pain in the bum, and relied heavily on building occupants understanding the system to ensure it would operate properly (not a chance).

Same thing with solar 12 volt air con systems (solar panel for heat and power – cheap fans to push air), they were all individually switched on separate thermostats. The idea was cool, but when I finished the building (large school) – I was the only person who understood how it worked (even the designer didn’t have a clue). I did do run throughs with staff, but they change, or don’t care … pretty soon that system would have been next useless too … sounds like you could have sorted out both situations easily.

Hope some of this might give you a clue or two.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up

I think there’s probably some unexplored products in the green-tech area. For example, I’m building a wireless rainwater tank sensor using an arduino board because there’s nothing with a reasonable cost available on the market.

Divert To Mobile
    Up
    markn, post: 159682 wrote:
    I think there’s probably some unexplored products in the green-tech area. For example, I’m building a wireless rainwater tank sensor using an arduino board because there’s nothing with a reasonable cost available on the market.

You might find the raspberry pi handy.

Steve

Greg_M
    Up
    markn, post: 159682 wrote:

I reckon you’re correct.

The examples I cited in my post were both associated with “green” buildings … the basic ideas were ok (admirable even), but the execution and systems were awful, and the cost was sky high, for what was basically pretty ordinary fabrication and technology.

I got a bit fired up about it (offering better solutions) as a business idea, but lacked the skill set of the OP to pursue it effectively.

Greg_M
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 159692 wrote:
    You might find the raspberry pi handy.

Steve

That’s a very cool gadget, I’d heard of it, but hadn’t had a closer look. Thanks for the link.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Im using one and running xbmc at the moment.
    I just ordered another one to mess around with but more technically, Id like to load android on it.

I would be interested in turning one into a genius plc to use as an integrated alarm and home automation system. Im sure its perfectly capable of it. Ive got a box of 240v relays, 240v uhf remote controlled relays and proximity switches Ive been itching to make something interesting. Time hasnt been my friend lately.

Steve

Greg_M
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 159709 wrote:
    Im using one and running xbmc at the moment.
    I just ordered another one to mess around with but more technically, Id like to load android on it.

I would be interested in turning one into a genius plc to use as an integrated alarm and home automation system. Im sure its perfectly capable of it. Ive got a box of 240v relays, 240v uhf remote controlled relays and proximity switches Ive been itching to make something interesting. Time hasnt been my friend lately.

Steve

I’ve just blown away a chunk of time reading the stuff on their site, now I want one.

Not sure what I’d do with it, but I could get my Linux fix … Macs are a bit too easy sometimes. See Debian (one I’m familiar with) works out of the box … Android, I haven’t got a clue.

I think the “smart building” thing could have some potential, especially with power, water etc costs going through the roof, let alone monitoring buildings to manage climate change issues.

Security I’ll leave to you city folk.

I have issues finding keys to the house if I go away for a couple of days, I never lock my ute, and often the keys stay in the ignition fo days … mind you I have paid dearly for this when visiting in Melbourne.

Divert To Mobile
    Up

Now you have your project, a gps locator for your house and car keys

Steve

PetesPlans
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

Thanks all, i do like your green ideas.

I guess my problem is that research into a particular product to develop (eg. a solar/fan controller for a school) would take considerable time to view some existing systems, discuss with possible customers their requirements and prefered features, create a design, network with some people in the industry etc. With my custom design setup, i can discuss requirements by email, start the programming while gathering external components and have the whole thing done in a few evenings work without leaving my house (literally).

My current plan is selecting some target industries, such as “electronics”, “software solutions”, “event management”, “automation systems” etc and do a mailout to businesses that look right. But as i said, its slow going…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.