Home – New Forums Other discussions Selling handmade lamps in Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    ABChappell
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi there!

I’m glad I’ve come across this site, I’m hoping someone here might have a solution to a simple enough problem I have.

I am wanting to make some extra cash making handmade lamps out of recycled materials, I am not an electrician (All the electrical components would be new tho ;-)) The designs would vary, but the electrical wiring would all be the same simple design (plug – cord – lampholder – lamp/led all wired up) The problem is I want to comply with safety standards, but that looks like it’ll cost thousands of dollars ($4500-$5000 maybe more) to get the proper testing, consulting and certificate of compliance, which is uneconomical for me. No way I could pass that sorta cost onto the customer and still make a profit.

Has anyone else faced this problem, or something similar? Is there another way around it??

Thanks

LisaK
    • Total posts: 107
    Up

I’ve not come across this problem personally but wouldn’t you just need an electrician to certify they are OK and put one of his tags on the cord ?
    Or hire an electrician to wire and assemble the lamps……

RBB
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

If all the electrical components are brand new, I wouldn’t imagine you need to spend thousands on compliance- perhaps, as LisaK said, you just need an electrician to check them over and sign off on them.

I mean, how do people sell those little salt lamps & alike?

Why not speak to an electrician to get their opinion? That is probably the only sure way to find out.

Also, take a look at the brand (that is no longer, sadly- loved her designs) The Owls Are Hunting. Same sort of thing you’re doing & she started small at markets etc (hence why I doubt the compliance costs you mention).

Brooke Curline
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Hi,
    I am quite certain that anything that can be plugged into an Australian outlet must have SAA approval. It is the standard electrical compliance and can’t be ignored. Sorry – but to be honest, you are also protecting yourself – imagine if one of your products electrocuted someone – this is why the standards association approval is so vital.
    Your idea sounds brilliant – but do it the right way.
    Regards
    Brooke

ABChappell
    Up
    LisaK, post: 156578 wrote:
    I’ve not come across this problem personally but wouldn’t you just need an electrician to certify they are OK and put one of his tags on the cord ?
    Or hire an electrician to wire and assemble the lamps……

Hi LisaK

Thanks for your idea. I’m going to find and talk to an electrician about it, didn’t even think of that one!

ABChappell
    Up
    RBB, post: 156593 wrote:
    If all the electrical components are brand new, I wouldn’t imagine you need to spend thousands on compliance- perhaps, as LisaK said, you just need an electrician to check them over and sign off on them.

I mean, how do people sell those little salt lamps & alike?

Why not speak to an electrician to get their opinion? That is probably the only sure way to find out.

Also, take a look at the brand (that is no longer, sadly- loved her designs) The Owls Are Hunting. Same sort of thing you’re doing & she started small at markets etc (hence why I doubt the compliance costs you mention).

Hi RBB,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah LisaK’s idea might have the answer, I just need to see what an electrician says now, be great if there is a way!

As for the salt lamps, no idea how they do it! Maybe they get imported on a large enough scale it’s worth it?! (Are they imported even?) My limited understanding of some of the compliance rules is, maybe salt lamps are technically one and the same (except for the “salt” part) they can be filed under one ‘profile’ in the equipment approval database. Therefore, if you have a large number of electrical appliance items (like a salt lamp) that fits into the technically same profile, paying to get it tested, certified and maybe some consulting fees might be worth it. But I’m no expert on this matter. :-)

Also, Thank you for your hot tip on ‘the owls are hunting’ (love her lamps and shades), I would love to get in contact with her and pick her brains.

Thanks

ABChappell
    Up
    Brooke Curline, post: 156602 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am quite certain that anything that can be plugged into an Australian outlet must have SAA approval. It is the standard electrical compliance and can’t be ignored. Sorry – but to be honest, you are also protecting yourself – imagine if one of your products electrocuted someone – this is why the standards association approval is so vital.
    Your idea sounds brilliant – but do it the right way.
    Regards
    Brooke

Thanks for your reply Brooke. I appreciate your concern, if I can’t do it the right way I won’t do it at all. Too many repercussions! I like my sleep ;-)
    Fingers crossed I can get an electrician to help.

All the Best!

Beamor
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

May I ask what the outcome was of your investigation

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Beamor,

This thread is a couple of years old now, and I suspect the original poster isn’t around any more, so if you’d like to start a new thread sharing the details of the info you’re looking for, I think you’ll get a better response.

Thanks in advance, and welcome to Flying Solo :)
    Jayne

ABChappell
    Up
    Beamor, post: 219119, member: 69921 wrote:
    May I ask what the outcome was of your investigation
    Hi Beamor, doing a testing and tagging course myself would have been the best option in the long run. Rather than paying someone to do it for me. Tho, my circumstances changed and I never got further than that. So, things may have changed in regards to regulations, I’m not sure. But ask one of the training providers for more details. Quite a few places online that offer the test and tag courses, some are just one day courses. Look at the more advanced course (a few hundred more) which I think it’d be worth it. Hope this helps!
    Beamor
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Thanks for that ABChappell

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.