Home – New Forums Logistics Selling Internationally Online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kittyc
    • Total posts: 13
    Up
    ::

Hi there

We are in the process of finalising our online baby clothing business based here in Australia.

Everything is manufactured in Australia and initially our target market will be Australia.

We are contemplating selling internationally and just wanted to see what steps people took before branching out? Did you seek additional legal advice to ensure that your products could be sold in the international jurisdictions you were targeting (am thinking in terms of legal issues – labelling, safety requirements etc. not financial issues – i.e. customs/tax issues etc.)? If so, do you have any recommendations for lawyers you used?

Any tips in this area would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

K

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi K,

So, you will be branding your baby clothing products and wanting to export those to customers overseas?

One thing that comes to my mind is the subject of trademarks. Firstly, if not already done you should make sure your chosen name for your clothing is available as a trademark in Australia, and, not infringing the rights of any existing trademarks in Australia. You should also ensure that the brand is available as a trademark, and not stepping on toes, in any overseas market to which you intend to promote.

If someone else owns the same/similar trademark, for the same or related type products/services then you may not be able to use that brand name in certain countries. Further, if you ultimately intend to license use of your brand name (i.e. to an overseas distributor to sell on your behalf in another country) you would need the trademark registered in order to gain the right to provide such a license.

Starting this process in Australia will give you some benefits – including a 6-month window of time without jeopardising any rights – when it comes to overseas registration… But, the topic should be considered.

I’m happy to help and answer any questions on trademarks for Australia or overseas. Feel free to get in touch if needed.

Lahay
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

I applaude you keeping your manufacturing in Australia :)

Good luck with your venture,
    Jocelyn Serone
    http://www.lahay.com.au

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi K,

As per the previous post its good to see manufacturing still in Australia!!

From an insurance point of view, one thing you need to work out is your policy covering you for export of your product. Most mainstream insurers exclude cover for exports to the USA and Canada (high legal expenses and requests for damages) and do not automatically provide cover for exports (this you negotiate with the insurer).

I recently placed liability cover for a client who manufactured cloth baby products and after researching the cover for exports (especially to the US) she decided the to concentrate on the Australian market – thats not to say she couldn’t obtain cover for the US, it was just outside her budget as a startup (its one of the goals for her in the coming months).

Good luck with it – hope it goes well.

Regards,

Mark Mellish
    Allied Insurance Brokers
    +61 412 495 397
    [email protected]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.