Home – New Forums Other discussions Selling my handmade products on my website / facebook page

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    T j Turner
    • Total posts: 240
    Up
    ::

I would like to be able to sell handmade products on my website and facebook page ie. bath salts, bath bombs and goats milk soap (that I will be making myself) but I am not sure if I can do this as I have had some people tell me that I might need insurance, etc. I know that I need to list ingredients on my products plus I will be selling these in gift boxes on the website also.

I would like some advice on this.

Thanks

Tanja

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Tanja,

Have a look over the information at: http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/970225

They have a section for “cosmetics and toiletries”, which includes products used to cleanse etc. This will give you information about the appropriate ingredient labelling requirements as well as some other resources.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Hi Tanja,

Have a look over the information at: http://www.productsafety.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/970225

They have a section for “cosmetics and toiletries”, which includes products used to cleanse etc. This will give you information about the appropriate ingredient labelling requirements as well as some other resources.

LisaWB
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Whilst you aren’t legally required to have insurance it makes sense to do so when you manufacture skin care products. For your own protection.

What you absolutely must have though is registration through NICNAS as you are making and selling handmade soap. This is a legal requirement and there is an annual fee involved. If you make/sell soap you need to be registered, (fines apply if not), however, to register you also need to have an ABN. The icky part comes if the ATO doesn’t deem you a business but a hobby and that means you can’t claim your NICNAS fees against your taxable income.

I have a website http://www.australiansoapmaker.info which details some of the requirements for selling here in Australia.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

LisaWB
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

Whilst you aren’t legally required to have insurance it makes sense to do so when you manufacture skin care products. For your own protection.

What you absolutely must have though is registration through NICNAS as you are making and selling handmade soap. This is a legal requirement and there is an annual fee involved. If you make/sell soap you need to be registered, (fines apply if not), however, to register you also need to have an ABN. The icky part comes if the ATO doesn’t deem you a business but a hobby and that means you can’t claim your NICNAS fees against your taxable income.

I have a website http://www.australiansoapmaker.info which details some of the requirements for selling here in Australia.

T j Turner
    Up
    lkhwb, post: 113477 wrote:

I won’t be making soap from scratch as I will be using melt and pour soap base and found out the other day that I don’t need to have insurance as I am not making this. someone found this information and posted it on a facebook page

If you are making M & P Soap you don’t need to register with NICNAS as M&P is past the chemical reaction.

T j Turner
    Up
    lkhwb, post: 113477 wrote:

I won’t be making soap from scratch as I will be using melt and pour soap base and found out the other day that I don’t need to have insurance as I am not making this. someone found this information and posted it on a facebook page

If you are making M & P Soap you don’t need to register with NICNAS as M&P is past the chemical reaction.

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 113481 wrote:

Seriously, I would reconsider the insurance. You are making and selling products that people will be using on their skin. If anyone has a reaction to it then you could be in some serious financial trouble. You are the manufacturer of your product and are liable for any injuries caused.

And I certainly wouldn’t rely on someone who found some information and posted it on a fb page !! Do your research into this and make an informed decision.

Wendy :)

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    T j Turner, post: 113481 wrote:

Seriously, I would reconsider the insurance. You are making and selling products that people will be using on their skin. If anyone has a reaction to it then you could be in some serious financial trouble. You are the manufacturer of your product and are liable for any injuries caused.

And I certainly wouldn’t rely on someone who found some information and posted it on a fb page !! Do your research into this and make an informed decision.

T j Turner
    Up
    Couple It, post: 113490 wrote:

I contacted the NICNAS and I can sell the products on my website without registering with them. Also I can sell bath salts, bath bombs to as long as I buy the ingredients locally and not overseas.

The information that was on facebook about selling melt and pour soap actually came from NICNAS as I emailed them about it and I don’t need to register with them as I am not making this product from scratch only adding essential oil to it

T j Turner
    Up
    Couple It, post: 113490 wrote:

I contacted the NICNAS and I can sell the products on my website without registering with them. Also I can sell bath salts, bath bombs to as long as I buy the ingredients locally and not overseas.

The information that was on facebook about selling melt and pour soap actually came from NICNAS as I emailed them about it and I don’t need to register with them as I am not making this product from scratch only adding essential oil to it

daydreamer
    • Total posts: 100
    Up

Also to get the insurance, the insurance company will normally require external laboratory testing done of the products, to make sure it passes the product safety requirements. The lab testing can be quite expensive and takes time, so you might want to factor that into your plans.

daydreamer
    • Total posts: 100
    Up

Also to get the insurance, the insurance company will normally require external laboratory testing done of the products, to make sure it passes the product safety requirements. The lab testing can be quite expensive and takes time, so you might want to factor that into your plans.

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

@Daydreamer: Can you please advise where you got that kind of information from?

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

@Daydreamer: Can you please advise where you got that kind of information from?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.