Home – New Forums Selling online Selling PDF and Videos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Graham Pinning
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

So its my first time selling digital products online.
    I have 3 different PDF’s to sell and 3 lots of videos, It’s a How To guide.

So, what stops people from downloading the PDF’s/videos and emailing them to all their friends for free?

I was thinking of hosting them on my own site on 3 different password protected pages.

Please let me know if you have sold videos and PDFs on the internet before and how you went about it.
    thanks, Graham.

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

It’s always tricky to really protect your digital content and almost impossible to do it 100%. Make sure you have your branding and domain name all over your PDFs and videos so that you at least get a marketing benefit if people share it!

Generally speaking, if people can download the PDF, they can share it. Unless you password protect the actual PDF, which then makes it more painful for people to use. Plus, they could email it to someone along with the password…

To protect access to the download or video page you could look into software programs like Digital Access Pass (WordPress plugin) or Wishlist Member (may be a bit too feature rich for what you need though).

Frederike

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Graham Pinning, post: 156779 wrote:
    So its my first time selling digital products online.
    I have 3 different PDF’s to sell and 3 lots of videos, It’s a How To guide.

So, what stops people from downloading the PDF’s/videos and emailing them to all their friends for free?

I was thinking of hosting them on my own site on 3 different password protected pages.

Please let me know if you have sold videos and PDFs on the internet before and how you went about it.
    thanks, Graham.

The only way that you can protect this type of content online is to use Digital Rights Management (DRM). There are varying solutions and costs involved. Generally for a small business with a few products the costs are prohibitive. Protecting PDFs can be relatively easy using a solution like Lock Lizard or similar. We used Lock Lizard in a couple of projects and it works ok but not the only solution just Google DRM or Digital Rights Management. Videos start to get much harder to manage and control. You should check out Adobe Access or Google Widevine.

John

Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    Cathie, post: 0 wrote:
    There are advantages to allowing people to pirate, sorry, share your content if you’re comfortable with going the non-DRM route.

Hi Cathie

I wanted to highlight this excellent point you made in case it get’s lost in replies.

The truth for me is… I want my material to be pirated because if it’s really the beneficial information I believe it to be, people will seek me out and pay for more.

So far it’s working… so I say don’t worry about it… just keep writing.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Welcome to info marketing.

I recommend that you read / hear the following book which addresses your concern and then some.

An excellent case study of chinese and south american singers who leverage piracy for their own benefit.

The key is back end marketing. Look it up.

FREE for free: first ebook and audiobook versions released

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

Simple answer is – you can’t.

You’re wasting your time if you think you can. There’s nothing stopping anyone from making a legitimate purchase then doing what they want with it.

You can however, implement deterrents.

I use Download Guard. Its simple, its reasonably priced, and it works.

You might want to check this out also.

http://www.bringthedonuts.com/blog/general-marketing/66/a-few-simple-strategies-to-help-protect-your-digital-products-from-online-piracy.php

WW2010
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Unless its a world wide best seller…I wouldn’t even bother. Just lock the content behind a paywall and hope for the best

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.