Home Forums Starting your journey Selling Spices to Cafes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    priyasharma
    • Total posts: 1

Hi,

When I moved out of home, my dad started to make his own spice blends at home to help me with my low cooking abilities.

These spices have been a game changer. So much so that people I work with ask for these spices on a regular basis, I give it to them for free.

My parents just retired and it clicked in my head that maybe I should start selling them. I talked to my sister in law and she suggested that I go around to local cafes and offer them free samples.

I have no experience in this area, what are your thoughts and suggestions. Would cages be open to free samples? How do I organise to meet them? How much do I sell spices for??

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    priyasharma, post: 268098, member: 116678 wrote:
    I have no experience in this area, what are your thoughts and suggestions. Would cages be open to free samples? How do I organise to meet them? How much do I sell spices for??

To answer these 3 questions, most business’s would be open to free samples, best way is to go visit and talk to them, even if to arrange another time to meet. How much to sell for, no one here can tell you because it’s how much they cost for you to produce, transport, profit, etc. etc.

BUT, yes there is a but, you also need to first consider all the food handling requirements, unlike you, you can use unpackaged, un hygienic (figure of speech) unlabeled, un tested products, a café should be blacklisted if they did. There are strict guidelines to follow for all of that, which is also a cost, but more importantly a must do before handing out free samples. If a café takes them without these consideration please let me know so I can avoid them.

Good luck

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344

Hi [USER=116678]@priyasharma[/USER] – welcome to FS.

Not wanting to overwhelm you but I do agree with Bert’s comments above. Cafes no doubt would love free samples (who doesn’t love a free ‘something’) – but all the things listed need to be considered first – plus insurance. As the ‘manufacturer’ of the product, you will have the responsibility and liability in the event of anything going wrong – particularly as this is a consumed/digested product.

You can find some information about labeling laws at https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/industry/labelling/Pages/default.aspx. This might offer some insight as to if/what is required for spices.

Once everything is in place and ready – as to ‘how’ to go about it, I reckon you could walk into a few cafes and simply ask if they’d like some samples.

Pricing is a whole other ball game, as you’d need to work out what it costs you (time and actual costs) and what you want to make etc to work out what each unit should be sold at – and, with that you might consider wholesale pricing (e.g. bulk to cafes) and perhaps even retail (e.g. small quantities in jars etc) to end customers if you wanted to have a website shop or similar.

MH08
    • Total posts: 284

Theres one issue with attempting to sell spices against a duopolies – check out Spice Master and Krio Krush and their’s another big player making waves out there too.

Krio Krush in Sydney pretty much control the market in Sydney their buying power is incredible, same goes for large distributors, look at PFD for example they buy just in 2.5kg beetroot tins alone which is one line to many others over $15m per annum.

Not to burst your bubble but taking Krio Krush on would be attempting to take down the Great Wall of china down with a chop stick.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    MH08, post: 268135, member: 37395 wrote:
    Theres one issue with attempting to sell spices against a duopolies – check out Spice Master and Krio Krush and their’s another big player making waves out there too.

Krio Krush in Sydney pretty much control the market in Sydney their buying power is incredible, same goes for large distributors, look at PFD for example they buy just in 2.5kg beetroot tins alone which is one line to many others over $15m per annum.

Not to burst your bubble but taking Krio Krush on would be attempting to take down the Great Wall of china down with a chop stick.

True, But there are so many niche food products out there now, that if everyone said we can’t compete with the big boys none of these would exist. Look in every speciality store and you see something unique, personally I think unique spices would be a great idea, if executed and sold correctly. Think of the advertising, we are so much better then XYZ as we make the spices to your requirements, not just use our muscle to sell product. Sadly today everyone just says there is already a big player or 2 don’t bother,

MH08
    • Total posts: 284

When I started everyone told me the same, “too many big players, don’t bother”. Still did it anyway cause I had a belief I was better then the sleeping giants out there. Put it this way, Coca Cola Australia is everywhere in stores, lots of marketing but only control 2% of the market, more then 80,000 individual vendors (from single van operations) control the market evenly. That’s a lot of players to take down so essentially entering in food service will make him 80,001 disheartening I know but if it’s passion, move forward with it.

The only thing I know about spices that did make a difference from market data we collected, surprisingly was freshness. The larger companies could never provide a fresh made product, usually FPA have a lot of their stock in bulker bags sitting around for months at a time.

Also, the actual product – for example oregano you buy from stores is usually mixed with other herbs (more of a Mixed Italian Herb) because pure oregano is actually very dear to buy and the smell of it is quite strong.

There are avenues just need to approach them individually when it comes to this.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,158
    MH08, post: 268135, member: 37395 wrote:

Those chop sticks are built to last though ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.