Home – New Forums Starting your journey Selling Tea Online

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TRepublic
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am planning to set up an online store selling premium loose leaf teas, flavoured teas and tea hampers. I know the outlook is looking better for tea consumption in Australia but not sure how successful it is going to be selling teas online as it is not same as buying a product you know and tasted.

Should I consult a business coach before putting all my saved money in to this or just go for it?

Are there any SEO companies out there who does key word research before I start this venture..

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi TRepublic,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for joining us :)

I hope you get some good ideas and advice on this soon, but in the meantime, you might like to pop over to the New member section of the boards and introduce yourself to us all so that we can get to know you a little.

Good luck with it all,
    Jayne

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

Welcome to the forums. Check out web circle. Very affordable. Best of luck with your venture.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi TRepublic,

Before taking the plunge you could do a couple of things.
    The quickest would be contact your local BEC and get a free session with a business coach.
    If you can dedicate 2 nights a week over 2 semesters you could do the cert 4 in small business management at your local TAFE.

Steve

websitedesigner
    • Total posts: 917
    Up

This is big business online, lots of examples of companies doing this even ones successfully selling recurring subscriptions (s-commerce) with tea. Just google it to start with there is a lot of good info out there.

Ondetto
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

Doing some keyword research to evaluate demand and then looking at the competition you are facing is a good start. You could start with the Google Keyword Tool (https://adwords.google.com/o/KeywordTool) and do some research yourself. If you are stuck, myself or the other SEO / web people here will be able to help with this as well.

actuarial
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

yes i think you first approach to business coach and get more information, online business is more competitive now a days, but once you get settled then it is rocking..Best luck.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hello!

Welcome :)

I think it would be best to chat to a coach at your local BEC as someone else suggested. It will give you some good foundational knowledge that will then help you make the decision whether to just go for it or not.

Secondly, you really need to know what makes you/your tea/your brand different to the others that are out there selling online.

Thirdly, “… but not sure how successful it is going to be selling teas online as it is not same as buying a product you know and tasted…” – this is the same as any new product/service.. somebody has to try it first, once! This is where fabulous marketing, attractive packaging, unique selling points and correct market positioning come into play..

Fourthly, you as the business need to aim at making the sale as risk-free as possible so that they can try/purchase the product easily.. you might find this article helpful (from my blog).

Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

RedPlanet
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

You would need to do competitor research. Also speak to May King who speaks on and sells Tea, what a great role model. http://maykingtea.wordpress.com/

An educational and experiental approach would certainly be better than a straight selling tea online store. Another tip is use WordPress with this great cart we have found called eqwid. (Or it could be ecwid). It integrates with facebook stores as well, its free.

TRepublic
    Up

Hi All,

Thank you so much for your time and advice.I really appreciate it. I am going to do some seo research and also feels it is a good idea to speak with a business coach to see whether this is a viable idea.

And I will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks

SavvySME
    • Total posts: 201
    Up

Well if you are worried about the demand I would also speak to a few potential buyers of your product to see what works! Really successful companies I find start with one product and try and get potential buyers for it. The hardest thing online is giving people too much choice on something they can’t taste, so if you can release one really great product with great health benefits and gather a heap of testimonials for it, you are most likely able to move more of that product. When you get enough customers you can move on to expanding your line when you have a customer base to introduce it to that already trust you. You can even start by providing samples with their existing orders to determine whether it is a product you want to move to.

The other way to go is to provide SO much variation it becomes a USP.

As long as your shipping is fast and efficient it shouldn’t be a problem. :)

Best of luck with finding a business coach, I love tea so I’m keen to keep my eye on your product!

TRepublic
    Up

Thanks! I am sourcing all my teas from Srilanka at the moment. I do not have a huge selection. I am starting with about 5 realy good teas for now. I just want to start soon and trial before spending too much on this to see how it goes.

Glad that you like tea. When everything’s ready I ll post some samples for you to taste :)

By the way, I like your site.

Combes
    • Total posts: 5
    Up

Hi, Just wondering how you went with your tea business and do you have a website?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.