Home – New Forums Starting your journey Selling your own branded products…confused with choices

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ElizabethQ
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I’m doing research on selling various dog products through my website. I’m not in a rush to monetize my site as I have a full time job as well and definitely want to build traffic and a consistent reader base first, as well as to establish myself as an expert in the field.

However, I do want to eventually start selling dog products, specifically sporting-related products. I’m not sure what way to go about it – should I start off by finding wholesalers and purchasing in bulk and then selling those products? I don’t particularly like the idea of buying in bulk just yet.

Or should I research and learn how to make these products, and then make them by demand to sell? This would also allow me to put my own brand on the products. Or is there a way to commission someone to make a product for me with my brand…

I’m looking for something that won’t cost me thousands of dollars flat out and not sure how to go about it..any thoughts/advice?

[Former] FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there 1FM!

Another option could be to survey your potential customers, as Julie is doing with her body jewellery site (check it out via this thread: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/3961-my-new-survey-okay.html) so you know in advance what they’re likely to buy.

Good luck with your deliberations!
    Jayne

ElizabethQ
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 18308 wrote:
    Hi there 1FM!

Another option could be to survey your potential customers, as Julie is doing with her body jewellery site (check it out via this thread: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/sales-marketing/3961-my-new-survey-okay.html) so you know in advance what they’re likely to buy.

Good luck with your deliberations!
    Jayne

Thanks for this, Jayne! I’ll look into getting a survey going.

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Have a look into drop-shipping options – this is where you list products on your website and then when your clients purchase them the order is sent directly to the company with the products – they ship the products out (normally from Asia) and you get a cut of the profit.

I’m not sure about what companies are out there who dog products, but I’d be surprised if you couldn’t find anything … do a Google search …

mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up

Yeah dropshipping is a good option. Less risk and expense in holding stock. You may have to purchase a few products yourself first to test out the quality of each, but when you have found something you are happy with all good. You can probably have a large range of various products also.

By holding stock, this probably means you can get the goods to your customers much quicker, and you will have more control over everything. More time consuming and expensive though. Keeping up stock levels and storing can be a challenge when first starting.

Having your own brand would be really cool. But again this is another added step to your business. You’d probably have to have certain amounts of each product made to achieve economies, and then hold the stock also. Plus you’d need more lead time in getting in new stock.

There are a lot of cheap and ugly dog products out there, and seemingly a lack of products for larger dogs so I’d love to see what you came up with if you designed and made your own products.

Good luck, I hope you find something that works for you.

ElizabethQ
    Up

Thanks for all of your advice! I’ll definitely look into drop shipping

charlie1973
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi there, im not real sure how this site works, but i saw your post and thought i would just send a quick reply. I know you mentioned you want to start selling sporting products for dogs, however if you are interested i have recently closed down my designer pooch accessories shop and have excess stock left over if your interested. (beds, collars, clothing (some sporting) jewels, bowls etc) Good luck with your venture. [email protected]

ElizabethQ, post: 18250 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I’m doing research on selling various dog products through my website. I’m not in a rush to monetize my site as I have a full time job as well and definitely want to build traffic and a consistent reader base first, as well as to establish myself as an expert in the field.

However, I do want to eventually start selling dog products, specifically sporting-related products. I’m not sure what way to go about it – should I start off by finding wholesalers and purchasing in bulk and then selling those products? I don’t particularly like the idea of buying in bulk just yet.

Or should I research and learn how to make these products, and then make them by demand to sell? This would also allow me to put my own brand on the products. Or is there a way to commission someone to make a product for me with my brand…

I’m looking for something that won’t cost me thousands of dollars flat out and not sure how to go about it..any thoughts/advice?

Astrid
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Hi

Maybe you can get into contact with the girls from waggle.com.au for some assistance.

Cheers
    Astrid

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.