Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO advice – cheap versus quality?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    brendan29
    • Total posts: 22
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone.

I’m new to the forum and I run an online editing service for students – http://www.experteditor.com.au.

I’ve been going for nine months now, and although it’s not a fulltime business yet, it’s making good progress. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that SEO is the absolute key to generating traffic to my site, and converting traffic into customers. Ad words, Facebook, and online classifieds all have minimal impact.

So I need advice – should I get SEO services on the cheap from India or get it done by a reputable Australian provider? I’ve paid a cheap Indian company for the past few months, and the results have been OK.

Do you guys recommend paying double or even triple the amount for a quality Australian SEO provider? With SEO do you essentially get what you pay for? Or do you think that outsourcing SEO to India does not necessarily reduce the effectiveness of my SEO?

I’m not a particularly tech savvy person so I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Thank you!

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

SEO results are Natural Results of Google and It takes time, Also No one Can Give you Guarantee for SEO results…

It Definably make affect that if you pay more you will get more.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Brendan,
    Before you do anything, read Google’s “Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide

Irrespective of where the SEO support comes from, the problems you will find are:

• How can you assess the quality of the SEO support?
    • How can you assess the honesty of the SEO support?

Anyone can claim to be an SEO expert. Most people offering SEO expertise don’t even know how inaccurate and limited their knowledge is.

Then there are the mountains of shonks out there who blatantly rip people off because they can hide behind all the jargon and lack of tech savvy of their victims.

When you start talking about “cheap” SEO you are already starting to sound like SEO “cannon fodder”. The shonks could start targeting you very quickly. Be very careful!

After a few reads of Google’s guide, I suggest you start your exploration on FS. Why not post your site with a “review” request here? Hang around this SE forum and it won’t take long for you to get a feel for the SEOs here who know their stuff.

The problem with o/s services is that you don’t know enough to assess their quality and if you are ripped off, getting satisfaction will be much harder, if not impossible from an o/s supplier.

Regs,
    JohnW

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

You get what you pay for really, and I would also suggest you blog regularly.

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Hi JohnW,

It’s tough being a small business owner and having to understand every darn thing, and SEO is one of those sort of issues.

First, read all you can on Google Panda and Penguin updates and the impact they have had on the rankings of some sites and you will come to see that SEO as it was labelled 6 months ago is almost dead and it’s terrifying to see that many overseas and Australian providers continue to do stuff that is likely to be either not effective or to end up in getting their clients sites penalised.

So your question is perhaps better worded – “How do I find a supplier that is going to do the job in a way that will not over-optimise my site’s content or who will not build links that will get me penalised?”

If the are talking about any of these – then start to worry
    Directory links – If there is a pattern of too many links to and from low quality directories, could hurt your website

Blog comments – Commenting on unrelated blogs is spamming – and will be seen by the search engines to be so.

Social and forum profiles – While signature links after posting comments may send traffic to your website, making 100’s of them and not participating in the forums is spam – they are of low quality, not merit based and doomed to be ignored by search engines.

Link exchanges – Link exchanges are risky because you cannot control the activities of the sites you have agreed to link with and 2 way link exchanges have been discounted already.

Private link/blog networks – Most private link networks provide paid links and are against Google’s terms of service. These networks exist purely for link building but add little or no value to the web. In fact Google has recently de-indexed many of them and will continue to do so -even super privates ones.

Paid links – even paid banner ads can become a problem if you are not careful.

Article directories still create links but have turned into a spammers paradise – lots of low quality content and content that gets robbed to appear on the spammers sites – and if it’s also on your site they may even out rank you for it.

So there is not a lot of room to move in “manufacturing” links these days. There are solutions that do create links and traffic more organically but they fall under the guise of social and online marketing and not stand-alone link building.

I hope that help you assess offers from suppliers and I’m more than happy to give you an opinion if you are stuck or confused about a prop you are evaluating – just pm me.

Cheers

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Vossy, post: 130034 wrote:
    It’s tough being a small business owner and having to understand every darn thing, and SEO is one of those sort of issues.

First, read all you can on Google Panda and Penguin updates and the impact they have had on the rankings of some sites and you will come to see that SEO as it was labelled 6 months ago is almost dead and it’s terrifying to see that many overseas and Australian providers continue to do stuff that is likely to be either not effective or to end up in getting their clients sites penalised.

Hi Vossy,
    You have thrown a lot of detail at a newbie.

A newbie only needs to worry about Panda & Penguin if they are likely to implement SEO factors that can cause them to come into play.

I stand by my very simple suggestions!

They should help weed out all the incompetents and rogue SEOs who may take a newbie into all the pitfalls you detail.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Nice article John, thanks for the link.

Steve

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

It depends more on how they do link-building. Ask for their track records, especially the sites they optimized and the keywords they worked on. Dig into their link building techniques. Reputable SEO providers do not rely on link trade, spam blogs and commenting on low-quality sites. The ideal choice would be an SEO firm that can place your links on very authoritative sites in an old-fashioned way, without the use of software or link trade network.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Why waste your money on a mediocre seo service wherein you can get the quality service from another? Though have a thorough reading about seo before hitting those dollars on.

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up
    jeanmaddocks, post: 130225 wrote:
    Why waste your money on a mediocre seo service wherein you can get the quality service from another? Though have a thorough reading about seo before hitting those dollars on.

I would have thought that would have been common sense.

Vossy
    Up
    JohnW, post: 130074 wrote:
    Hi Vossy,
    You have thrown a lot of detail at a newbie.

A newbie only needs to worry about Panda & Penguin if they are likely to implement SEO factors that can cause them to come into play.

I stand by my very simple suggestions!

They should help weed out all the incompetents and rogue SEOs who may take a newbie into all the pitfalls you detail.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Yes John, you are right there’s a lot to work out and I might have added a bit much info – organic link building is the way to go.

JamesMawson
    • Total posts: 38
    Up
    brendan29, post: 129929 wrote:
    Hi everyone.

I’m new to the forum and I run an online editing service for students – http://www.experteditor.com.au.

I’ve been going for nine months now, and although it’s not a fulltime business yet, it’s making good progress. I’ve slowly come to the conclusion that SEO is the absolute key to generating traffic to my site, and converting traffic into customers. Ad words, Facebook, and online classifieds all have minimal impact.

So I need advice – should I get SEO services on the cheap from India or get it done by a reputable Australian provider? I’ve paid a cheap Indian company for the past few months, and the results have been OK.

Do you guys recommend paying double or even triple the amount for a quality Australian SEO provider? With SEO do you essentially get what you pay for? Or do you think that outsourcing SEO to India does not necessarily reduce the effectiveness of my SEO?

I’m not a particularly tech savvy person so I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Thank you!

Hi brendan,

It’s a bit hard to make blanket judgements just based on the part of the world that your SEO provider comes from. I mean, I’d rather be judging them based on their work than just some matter of geography.

I have seen a lot of crap coming out of budget price “seo” guys from India, but I have to say I’ve also seen a similar quality work coming from mid-priced agencies in Australia, guys with very slick looking websites filled with very reassuring copy.

Do you mind if I ask what level of keyword and competition research that you or your provider undertook? This is where a good strategy has to start from.

For the most part, when you engage an Australian SEO consultant, most of what you are paying for is the experience and expertise that they can bring to researching a market, and to formulating and implementing an SEO strategy. In a high wage country like this, there’s really no room at all to compete at the lowest end of the market, ie on how many barely readable 400 word articles we can pump out for a given amount of dollars.

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

Vossy was correct!
    In times past, backlinks anywhere were good.
    Now you must be choosier as to where they come from.
    As always from a diverse range of places and you can’t go wrong (in theory).
    All the best

Vossy
    Up

Hi Guys

This article from search engine land nails the answer to Brendans question
    Hope it adds to the mix.

NickMorris
    Participant
    • Total posts: 283
    Up
    Vossy, post: 130753 wrote:
    Hi Guys

This article from search engine land nails the answer to Brendan’s question
    Hope it adds to the mix.

That link doesn’t work, this one does: http://searchengineland.com/the-hidden-cost-of-cheap-seo-social-labor-131585

I think anytime you come up with this question, the old adage ‘you get what you pay for’ is the rule of thumb you should start with.

There are plenty of SEO providers out there that are cheaper – such as those based in countries with lower wages than here – and there are probably some of those that are also high quality, but the hard part is deciding which ones they are.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.