Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Louise B
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    ::
    lukav5, post: 32525 wrote:
    Make a website, if you can do it yourself, that is a pretty big cost that you are cutting out already. Once it is built – you need to have SEO (search engine optimisation) for your website, target your area in the search engines so that when people in your area are looking for your product, you come up first in the search engines. There are some cheap ways of getting found in the search engines as well, it doesn’t need to cost you thousands of dollars to appear at the top to start getting some sort of traffic.

I know it is not ideal, but you could sell out of your house, do a mail drop of flyers to all the houses in your neighborhood and if people want to purchase products, they can choose them online, and then come and pick them up from your location.

I have a few connections if you were keen on the cheap ways of getting found on Google as well as a printer to get all of your flyer printing done up (all states), PM if you want their details and some more info.

I have started an on line store but seo is a concern. i have tried free listings, forums etc..but still want to get up at the front. Any help would be great.
    http://www.jenshandbags.com.au

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

5 tips

1) Quick question Louise

why do you redicted the index of the site to….
    http://www.jenshandbags.com.au/catalog/

Your index title is a bit crazy in the amount of keywords you want to “rank”

Handbag | handbags | handbag organiser | handbag key finder | handbag accessories | handbag enhancer | handbag enhancers | Handbag bling | handbag jewellery | handbag inserts |

May be choose just 2, 3 …

Google is not to “crazy” about redirections…

2) I have the feeling Google is looking at your site as “another online shopping site” … and there is not a lot of content to crawl regarding handbags…

Example:
    http://www.jenshandbags.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/129

I will suggest adding more content, may be 300 words or so about why this is a great handbag… give Google what Google loves and that’s content.

3) In the same way it seems the shopping card script is not very SEO friendly
    look at the title at
    http://www.jenshandbags.com.au/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/129
    the title is JensHandBags.com.au
    it should be instead
    Cenzoni Black Leather Across Body Travel Bag

Make sense?

4) handbags are very competitive market… and regarding link building… I see very little links coming to your site. You need to have links arriving to your site… specially to win the SEO game.

5) Adding a sitemap will be nice ;

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

The “redirect” was well spotted Gabriel.

Louise,
    This “redirect” means the search engines are told your Home page is one page but people are shown another page with totally different content.

SEs will not index web pages that contain this “redirect” command.

Google has already taken action. It has redefined your Home page to be http://www.jenshandbags.com.au/catalog/index.php

I assume Gabriel posted his comments before Google made this change, your Home page title was then showing as:

“Handbag | handbags | handbag organiser | handbag key finder | handbag accessories | handbag enhancer | handbag enhancers | Handbag bling | handbag jewellery | handbag inserts”

Because Google has now changed what it regards as your Home page, its title displays as “JensHandBags.com.au”.

There are all sorts of bad consequences that result from this “redirect” command and it is the first problem that must be fixed. Anything else you do will be a waste of time until it is rectified.

Regs,

John W

Louise B
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I will follow your advice, if google has already taken action, is that a good thing?
    Confused now.

seocourse
    Up
    Louise B, post: 32907 wrote:
    I will follow your advice, if google has already taken action, is that a good thing?
    Confused now.

Hi Louise

my advise is to setup the frontpage of the shop in the root of the domain name…

Now google takes actions each day/week at any stage. So if you change it to the fronptage, it will crawled and indexed properly in a few days. No worries.

JohnW
    Up
    Louise B, post: 32907 wrote:
    Confused now.

Hi Louise,

VERY BAD THING! Do what Garbriel says ASAP!!!!

If you don’t do this, amongst other problems, Google will not recognise any links to your Home page. That’s also a VERY BAD THING.

Do you know how to implement Gabriel’s fix? I don’t know whether he wants an offline Support contact from you?

This is just the start of you SEO problems.

Regs,

John W

seocourse
    Up
    JohnW, post: 32928 wrote:
    Hi Louise,

VERY BAD THING! Do what Garbriel says ASAP!!!!

If you don’t do this, amongst other problems, Google will not recognise any links to your Home page. That’s also a VERY BAD THING.

Do you know how to implement Gabriel’s fix? I don’t know whether he wants an offline Support contact from you?

This is just the start of you SEO problems.

Regs,

John W

It is a php script, so you must have a config file, so set it up to the root folder… and copy the content of the script in the root folder… also, and it should work fine. But again, I don’t know what shopping cart/online store script do you use exactly.

Actually I realize you can do it from here

http://www.jenshandbags.com.au/catalog/admin/login.php

;)

Bob Jones
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

I know this is an old post – in fact, the domain in question has expired. But I’m just curious as to what type of redirection the site was using? Depending on the server header, it might not have been all bad as described above.

dextereugenio
    • Total posts: 536
    Up

im somehow now curious on this whole url redirection thing as well.

i might need to post my own thread..

but ill wait :)

Liza Tailor
    • Total posts: 20
    Up

I get the long term investment thing, but investing 7k a month? PCC is an option if that’s the cash you can spend each month. The web is filled with SEO tips and tricks and loads of free advice, something people want to charge top dollar for.

JohnW
    Up
    Liza Tailor, post: 100920 wrote:
    I get the long term investment thing, but investing 7k a month? PCC is an option if that’s the cash you can spend each month. The web is filled with SEO tips and tricks and loads of free advice, something people want to charge top dollar for.
    Hi Liza,
    Unfortunately most of the free SEO tips are worth exactly that much.

Almost every web designer/developer offers SEO but most (IMHO) have not got anything more than a grasp of the very basics and that can be more detrimental than advantageous.

To be accurate, I should offer exactly the same observation about most SEO consultants.

Best regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.