Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO and Email Clarification

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    ::

I’d like clarification from the SEO super-experienced folks please.

If people are coming back to a website because of a link in an email they received, does it provide SEO benefits to that site?

i.e. they would be returning visitors (they joined the newsletter), and would be recognised as that.

Thanks!

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Jenny,
    Don’t know if I qualify as a super experienced SEO but I’ll stick my neck out.

I believe the answer is, “No”.

If they clicked a link in an email they would be identified as “direct entry” visitors. The same would apply if they had saved the link in their “Favourites” list and clicked through to the site that way.

SEs cannot index/”read” email files or the links in them. Some may argue that G may be able to read links in Gmail emails but I think it would not use such a capability in its ranking algorithm.

Regs,
    JohnW

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Jenny,

JohnW is being modest, he is a super experienced online marketing guy, his answer is also spot on.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

When I first read this, my instinctive answer was no … (from a technical not SEO perspective).

But it tweaked my interest because I’m using “transactional email” direct from an application, and the application can have it’s own inbox’s and URL end points (coming via reputable 3rd party servers) … the answer is still no, but I did find this article at Mailchimp, which shows a way to get content from email campaigns to be associated with your site for SEO purposes … whether it’s of any real use, I’ll leave to the experts.

JohnW
    Up
    estim8, post: 190509 wrote:
    When I first read this, my instinctive answer was no … (from a technical not SEO perspective).

But it tweaked my interest because I’m using “transactional email” direct from an application, and the application can have it’s own inbox’s and URL end points (coming via reputable 3rd party servers) … the answer is still no, but I did find this article at Mailchimp, which shows a way to get content from email campaigns to be associated with your site for SEO purposes … whether it’s of any real use, I’ll leave to the experts.
    Hi Estim8,
    For the non-technical, the article describes how you can convert an email newsletter into a web page then publish on your website.

Now SEs could access and “read” the file and links would then count but at this point it is no longer in email format.

PS Thanks for the compliment Aidan.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Jenny Spring
    Up

Thanks John — I do consider you an expert, by the way.

Thanks to the others for your feedback – the Mailchimp article was interesting.

So here is my summation:

1. an email delivered to an inbox, with a click back to the website doesn’t have SEO benefits

2. an email that is hosted on a website with links to other parts of the website does have SEO benefits

You can gain the same benefit by repurposing the email as a blog post I guess…

Right?

jenny

JohnW
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 190669 wrote:
    You can gain the same benefit by repurposing the email as a blog post I guess…

Right?

jenny
    Hi Jenny,

Correct.

To a search engine, a “blog” page is analysed the same way as a “non-blog” web page.

The difference is that if a blog attracts comments, its ability to attract SE referrals will change.

Whether it attracts more or fewer visitors and whether they will be the right or wrong target audience is dependant on many factors but with the addition of comments to the blog page, its SE referrals will change.
    Regs,
    JohnW

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 190367 wrote:
    If people are coming back to a website because of a link in an email they received, does it provide SEO benefits to that site?

In terms of a backlink?

No.

Does Google look at returning visitation metrics and use that data as part of their ranking algorithm.

Who knows.

1. an email delivered to an inbox, with a click back to the website doesn’t have SEO benefits

No.

Google, nor any other search engine does not have access to your email. That would break all sorts of privacy laws.

2. an email that is hosted on a website with links to other parts of the website does have SEO benefits

If it’s hosted on a website, how could it be an email?

Unless of course it’s directly “copied and pasted” to a page? Still not a traditional email.

JohnW, post: 190687 wrote:
    To a search engine, a “blog” page is analysed the same way as a “non-blog” web page.

Google, nor any other search engine couldn’t care less whether your site is dynamic, or static – it crawls html output.

Jenny Spring
    Up

Thanks John.

With clarification about the ‘hosted email’, reference the article by Mailchimp about having archived emails hosted on your own webiste. Interesting concept if you write heavy content emails. At the moment I’m repurposing those emails into blogs, but having them archived on my site is another alternative I hadn’t considered.

Anyway – thanks, this all makes sense.

Jenny

ClickyEmail
    • Total posts: 32
    Up

Can I add a little here? Just to say if you’re getting people to share that content via your email then that could be of benefit for SEO – such as a G+ share or otherwise. Using email to drive an action is inherently useful of course but that’s off track!

kittman
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi Jenny,

If you are using a gmail account, it’s like a backlink and whatever url is in there it will be indexed quickly by G.

Also if your email is opened and your reader goes to your link url, definite a genuine traffic IP. So therefore a traffic count in G & indirectly considered a ‘real’ site.

So in time G will consider this as organic traffic and hence eventually helps you rank in organic search.

Hope this helps.
    Kit

pauls
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Hi Jenny,

Wanted to touch on mailchimp and similar e-newsletter services that provide a web version.

I’m seeing many small businesses place all their content in these emails and promote the web friendly link via social and other platforms.

While this may count as a link, its a weak one at that and ultimately robs your website of good content a further engagement that may have occurred if that content resided in your blog.

So while slightly deviating from topic, if your going to use an e-newsletter service send snippets-teasers that link back to the article hosted on your blog/site. That way the benefits include;

• you own the destination, can track it and revise call to action/offers over time
    • unique content on your site with human and search engine appeal
    • e-newsletter hosted version is not a duplicate and still links back to your site
    • Any social sharing sends people straight to your article not the e-newsletter or r-newsletter then your site

As a real world example last week I noticed a very successful Australian business promoting a video via social media, this took me to their hosted e-newsletter and upon clicking the video, then to youtube. Hopefully you can see the lost opportunity in this approach.

All the best..

JohnW
    Up
    kittman, post: 195589 wrote:
    Hi Jenny,

If you are using a gmail account, it’s like a backlink and whatever url is in there it will be indexed quickly by G.

Also if your email is opened and your reader goes to your link url, definite a genuine traffic IP. So therefore a traffic count in G & indirectly considered a ‘real’ site.

So in time G will consider this as organic traffic and hence eventually helps you rank in organic search.

Hope this helps.
    Kit
    Hi Kit,
    Can you justify these claims, please?

I have not seen Google acknowledge them and I would expect that if G admittted “reading” or “indexing” people’s private gmail accounts that the world’s many regulatory bodies would descend with unimaginable force to stop it.

There are many examples where various country/regional law makers have forced Google to change what it assesses and how it ranks it.

We even have Google claiming that the reason it stopped reporting “keywords” was for user security reasons. If security is so “sacred” to G, reading links in private emails would seem to be a total confliction.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.