Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO Companies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DjDante
    • Total posts: 23
    Up
    ::

Hey guys,

SEO is something that I know the basics of. I understand how search engines determine site reputation/value and site relevance. However, as happens when one is running a business my spare time to work on link building, and consistent playing with keywords is almost nil.

My business partner is working on adwords campaigns for us, and that is slowly starting to bring its rewards, but I know that we need to also consistently be working on getting some search engine rankings for our site as well.

We had been signed up with another SEO company, but their service was abhorrent (I won’t name them here, I’m not sure if it’s against guidelines) long story short, they had our website down for days at a time, and they made sitewide changes which rendered links in our website useless and made our adwords campaigns direct to non-existent urls. etc.

I NOW know that there are a lot of rogue SEO companies out there. My question is, are there any good ones out there that can be trusted? How unreliable is it going to be to invest in SEO work to be done for us? I have heard that it’s completely unpredictable whether it will work for a website or not.

Cheers in advance!

Jemma
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Damien,

SEO should work for every website so if you don’t see an improvement then it’s not being done properly. It sounds like you had a pretty bad run with the last company you worked with, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone that bad…..

Some advice I can give you when you’re trying to find a good SEO firm is:

1. Beware the guarantee – no SEO company can guarantee a specific result because no one knows exactly what the search algorithm is, so usually companies that offer a guarantee have fine print guaranting top rankings for a keyword that has no competition and no traffic.

2. Make sure they offer a good reporting system so you can at least check up on what they’re doing.

3. Make sure they have a good keyword strategy and find you low competition keywords with decent traffic.

I had a look at your website and you’ve got some great marketing strategies going on already. I’d love to give you some more advice on what some good SEO could do for you, so if you’re interested send me a private message and would love to have a chat with you.

And just on the side you might want to update your link in your signature to the .com.au website…. :)

Either way good luck with the business!

Thanks
    Jemma

DjDante
    Up

I have another question which I will put up here as it relates to the same topic.

Our website used to be .org , that was purchased over 2 years ago. 6 Months ago, I changed to .com.au because it seemed a better idea for australian traffic , and made us sound more official.

However, we are now expanding outside of Australia as of the next couple of months, and I’m wondering if we shouldn’t bite the bullet now and revert back to .org (or even our 1 month old .com domain) and redirect everything to that from now on as well as work on our linking campaigns all going to the new domain from now on.

The age of the .org account would certainly help us to some degree I imagine, however the .com address is more befitting for a company that generate profit.

Thoughts?

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

hi Damien

I believe that age in fact makes a difference regarding ranking.
    Not only I believe this I have tested this having 2 domain names competing for the best ranking in the same industry and same keyword.

NOW

This doesn’t mean a new baby domain name can achieve good ranking… but it will take a bit longer.

Personally in my own network of sites (over 300 sites) I do not buy any more new .com , new .net or new .org …

In the australian market I tend to buy new .com.au because they are easy to find … there are many good ones still available.

My advise is stick to the old domain name and ALSO build your .com … may be use the .org as the corporate site and use the .com as the blog area…

I have 1 .org that is first for 1 exact keyword… so off course .org can achieve ranking… what I’m not 100% sure is in the human behavior when they see the top 10 results… may be they tend more to click the URL with the .com vs the .org

Good luck and be aware of SEO companies ;)

DjDante
    Up

Just for clarity here.

Our .org address is over 2 years old

Our .com.au is 6 months old.

Would you still suggest that I stick with the .com.au instead of flipping back to a more international .org?

Our main issue is moving internationally, the .com.au becomes difficult for us.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

If your objective is international….. go for the .org

If the objective is Australia stick with .corm.au

2 years doesn’t make a massive difference… but still better than a new domain name.

What you need to keep in mind is who is your target customer.

Example: I have some sites in co.nz mainly because ranking in New Zealand is so easy is a joke… very little serious competition….

i also have .co.uk sites to get some of the UK traffic for some British related terms…

My .com and .org are for international traffic but sometimes they also rank in google.com.au ….

It all depends of who is your end customer.

DjDante
    Up

So this would mean that in a couple of months, you would suggest I Park the .com at the same IP as .com.au and start creating a link-in campaign for the .com address as well?

OR would I need to have a completely different website for the .com?

thesearchengineshop.com
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    Jemma, post: 41035 wrote:
    Hi Damien,

SEO should work for every website so if you don’t see an improvement then it’s not being done properly. It sounds like you had a pretty bad run with the last company you worked with, I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone that bad…..

While I agree with this comment in principle, you need to be really careful when using adwords & seo and make sure you confirm there’s actual demand online for what you’re selling. If there’s no demand online, then you may be well optimised for relevant search terms but with no online demand you’re not going to get conversion using seo or adwords. This is not to say that a website isn’t important, you could use other techniques like PR, cross promotion with businesses who already have your target market as their customers or print advertising to generate web traffic and then have the site generate demand for your products & services.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    DjDante, post: 41028 wrote:
    Hey guys,
    SEO is something that I know the basics of. I understand how search engines determine site reputation/value and site relevance…

I NOW know that there are a lot of rogue SEO companies out there…

Cheers in advance!
    Hi DJ,
    Don’t spend any money on SEO until you find someone who tells you that you need to sort out your site’s technical/structural problems, first and what those problems are.

As it stands, you are doing a terrific job of telling Google that your site is not important for any search phrase. An SEO company can’t fix that problem by tinkering with hypertext links or on-page ranking factors.

Regs,

JohnW

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.