Home – New Forums Tech talk Seo, Facebook & geotagging

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    rolli
    • Total posts: 20
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Just hoping someone could clarify something for me…

Does geotagging photos on Facebook help location based searches through google?

I am currently building a facebook page to demonstrate my business in action, to link in with a static website, I am hoping this will help my google ranking thus make the Adwords campaign more effective – but will it work?

Thanks
    Michael
    Concrete Taxi

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

Michael
    It will not work.

Mainly i don’t have any DATA (I”m a data guy) but just to give you a reference, since Penguin Update one of the biggest losers was Facebook.
    The Algorithm doesn’t love Google places for ranking… so I don’t really think it could boost SEO a lot.

Now, if you want to play with Google toys and do it with a Google Place page… it may.
    But once again mate, any kind of answer will need to have some data to support it…

By the way: Geotagging + social media —> SEO… = I like your way of thinking.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi there,

just to follow up on Gab’s comment, the SEO and AdWords algorithms are two quite seperate ones, improving your natural ranking has no bearing on your AdWords performance (and vice versa).

Regards

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Yes i agree that Adwords has nothing to related with SEO or Facebook etc..It is totally different.

To improve results in SEO, your can try Google + Local.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    rolli
    Up

Thanks for the responses…

I am new to all this seo stuff! So I’m still trying to get my head around it all. Would replicating this in google + be worthwhile? My business is very dynamic in location, as in I have no home base, be deliver to the greater metro area, I’m really hoping to try to reflect that in google to help drive web traffic enquiries…

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Rolli,
    There is a lot of misinformation being promolgated about social media and its impact on SE ranking.

Google can’t index much social media content, so it can’t have much impact on ranking results.

As to G+, there are so few users (5% maybe) that it can’t offer any real relevancy to G’s results.

Here is what G has actually said (please note the date):

15 Aug 12 “Matt Cutts and the Search Dream Team Pop-Up Q&A

“Q: Will you (Google) get rid of links as a ranking signal altogether?

Matt: Long-term they want to get as close to ideal rankings as they can. In the 10 year time frame he could see them using social signals more as a signal for high quality. In the short term, he doesn’t see them leaving links behind as a ranking factor.”

“Mike: Social as a ranking signal?

Matt: We (Google) need access to it. Facebook is blocked from us. Twitter we lost the firehouse and then Twitter blocked us from crawling for several weeks. We can’t use what we can’t see. In the short-term its probably a smaller signal than people want.”

Regs,
    JohnW

rolli
    Up

Thanks for the info all!

It’s a lot to digest – especially for people like myself who are trying to get up to speed!

Would it be worth transposing the same information into a blog for google? Frequent updates to help seo, but still use Facebook to build a following of customers, or group of potential customers.

Cheers
    Michael
    Concrete Taxi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.