Home Forums Tech talk SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    emilyk
    • Total posts: 8

Hello

I was hoping to get some advice on an SEO campgain that I’ve been paying $350 mth to a Marketing Company for and haven’t gotten any results on.

My site is a jewellery on http://www.flavouroftheweek.com.au and I’m yet to generate any sales.

It’s definitely been a learning exercise, i.e. all of the strong words, i.e. silver jewellery the company wouldn’t work on for me, and even with less popular words, 80% still aren’t even coming up on google after a 6mth campaign.

Any advice? Or is it simply a case of I’m going to have to pay $5-$10k to get my site somewhere where it’ll actually be seen to make sales?

Thank you for any help!

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594

SEO is the business of generating traffic – not generating sales.

Step 1 of SEO would be to research possible search phrases that are relevant to your site/industry.

Step 2 is to adjust your site (on website work) and link and blog and upload to other sites (off website work) to improve your ranking for search terms in step 1.

Step 3 (not SEO) is to convert site vistors to purchasing customers.

So how many hits / month is your site receiving for the your targeted search phrases from step 1?? If this is 1,000’s then maybe step 3 is the problem.

If you are paying good money and aren’t generating traffic then I’d look for someone else to work with.

Good luck

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    emilyk, post: 67931 wrote:
    Hello

I was hoping to get some advice on an SEO campgain that I’ve been paying $350 mth to a Marketing Company for and haven’t gotten any results on.

My site is a jewellery on http://www.flavouroftheweek.com.au and I’m yet to generate any sales.

It’s definitely been a learning exercise, i.e. all of the strong words, i.e. silver jewellery the company wouldn’t work on for me, and even with less popular words, 80% still aren’t even coming up on google after a 6mth campaign.

Any advice? Or is it simply a case of I’m going to have to pay $5-$10k to get my site somewhere where it’ll actually be seen to make sales?

Thank you for any help!

Emily… it’s important to understand EXACTLY what are you paying for:

When you hire an “SEO company” they charge you mainly for 1 thing: link building… and so far I only see 30 backlinks to your site. So if you have been with them for 6 months… sorry but they are not doing their job.

In fact from the 30 links you have, they are very small SEO value… and I doubt you can generate any type of proper ranking with that type of link building.

That’s why monthly payments are dangerous….

marvelit
    • Total posts: 169

I dont think monthly payments are dangerous, as long as a set amount of work that is documented and shown to be done at the end of the month.

a simple report showing keyword rankings + an analytics report will show if they are actually doing anything.

lets say you wanted to rank for “silver jewelry” and you found your website on page 10, then 3 months later your on page 11, then you have a problem. if you went to page 3 in that time then something is working.

this is how I evaluate if someone is doing their job. I think back links are a great way as well, but you can still rank well without them. When I say without, I mean with a few you can still be page 1, it just depends on the competitiveness.

ideaswoman
    • Total posts: 86

No sales really has nothing to do with SEO if you are getting hits to your website. Why not ask the community to review your website on the appropriate forum as I do believe that will be beneficial to the marketing of your products and helping you to get sales.

I have two customers selling jewellery, one via their own website and one on eBay and they are doing really well.

Hope this helps!

AndrewM
    • Total posts: 3

If you’re paying $350/mo for something that you want to get hits+sales from, instead of driving regular traffic, perhaps you should be looking at running an AdWords campaign instead..

Alan Maddick
    • Total posts: 410

Don’t feel bad we used to pay over $2000 per month for no results! In the end i had to learn SEO myself now we are achieving 10X the result of the SEO firm for a few hours a week in front the of the TV.

SEO is pretty easy (sorry all you SEO experts on the forum) i highly recommend all business owners educate themselves to some degree on SEO especially if you have a webstore. Just be a bit careful what you read on the web some of it is total crap. I found the key was to test & measure

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741

Is it possible the $350 per month is actually Adwords money, and they have just sold it to you in the wrong manner?

BrettM33
    • Total posts: 1,372

As others have said, SEO doesn’t necessarily = sales. As long as you are getting traffic to your site from Google/Bing etc then they have done their job.

Buuuuuut……. I’m guessing you are getting minimal traffic & they may be taking you for a ride or don’t know what they are doing.

For starters…. I’m not sure if they have advised you, but your domain name really doesn’t help that well SEO wise. Your home page title appears to be ok, though your inner page titles could be improved a little bit.

Additionally, you have a lot of images on your home page that contain text….. this important text now cannot be indexed because it’s an image.

I’ll leave it at that because you were just asking for SEO advice & not for a review on your website :)

Best,

Brett

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

SEO, is or should be, about getting the RIGHT visitors to your site, without the right ones you have no hope of converting them to sales!

Getting ‘hits’ is not the point, indeed ‘hits’ as a term is a really bad one to use as it really refers to the number of file downloads a visit triggers from a webpage so a single visitor can be many ‘hits’.

That single visitor may even have come to your site because they were looking for some pretty pictures, someone who was not EVER going to be a customer.

Give me 2 visitors who searched Google for ‘buy Pandora bracelet’ rather than 20 visitors who searched for ‘jewellery’ or 100 who searched for ‘diamonds’ or 200 who searched for ‘jewellery pictures’…

Can you see the difference in the quality of those visits? Its all about what their likely motivation was when they made the search and how likely they are to turn into a sale!

Saying SEO is straightforward or ‘easy’ is not helpful, it might be if you are one of the few looking to rank for ‘blue designer spanners’ but if you want to rank for something competitive like say ‘hotels in New York’ you are in for some pain…

I’m sure flying an Apache is ‘easy’ after you have been trained enough but flying it in battle would not be, even after years of training! SEO would be similar in that respect – it depends just what exactly you are trying to achieve.

My little rant before I head off to the Adtech convention at Darling Harbour for the day – I’ll be on twitter @AidanJMcCarthy if any FS’ists there?

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,073

Sounds very likely that the monthly fees are being used for PPC rather than SEO…

Do you have statistical information about the number of visitors coming to your site?

If you know you’ve got people visiting the site then the issue is in the conversion of visitors into paying customer, in which case you need to remedy some issues with your how your site is presented.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    emilyk, post: 67931 wrote:
    Hello

Thank you for any help!

Hello Emilyk,

What most others have said to you is good advice. SEO is not about sales but leads to sales. If I look at your website there are a few things that I would change to improve visitor experience.

1. Your home page is basically a big banner ad that actually opens up a new tab or window and just goes to the categories. Total waste of time. Get rid of it and have some nice content and products right there on the home page. When it comes to SEO “Content is KING” put your effort into great content and SEO will follow.

2. The alt and title tags need a lot of work. On the home page hero banner they are both “Main banner” – anywhere you have an image you need meaningful alt and title tags.

3. Same is true of the other banners on the home page

4. Images are not high quality and the images of stones don’t link or go anywhere most people will try to click on them

5. You have no contact information just place holders in the contact us form

6. You have no SSL on the website I would not buy there – even though you use PayPal all the personal information is on unencrypted pages. You also expect every customer to register as part of check out you will get 50% drop out right there

7. Home page text is hard left aligned – just make the background colour white and it will make it look a little better at least

These are just a few things you need to address. There are some good web developers and designers on this forum so I would ask for some help. Better to pay the $350 / month to clean us the site than for SEO right now. Paying for SEO will just be a waste unless you make the site friendly and more attractive.

Then put some money into SEM (marketing) at least you will get targeted visitors and you are in a very competitive market.

John

emilyk
    • Total posts: 8
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 67955 wrote:
    Don’t feel bad we used to pay over $2000 per month for no results! In the end i had to learn SEO myself now we are achieving 10X the result of the SEO firm for a few hours a week in front the of the TV.

SEO is pretty easy (sorry all you SEO experts on the forum) i highly recommend all business owners educate themselves to some degree on SEO especially if you have a webstore. Just be a bit careful what you read on the web some of it is total crap. I found the key was to test & measure

How did you learn SEO – I’m happy to learn and anything myself but wouldn’t have a clue where to start in doing my own SEO? Do you have any pointers? Thank you

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,073
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 67955 wrote:

Whether or not SEO is easy I think is debatable but it does take time, which is something a lot of people don’t have, hence why they pay experts in the area to handle it for them rather than take time out to try and learn it from scratch, and then “test & measure”.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212

I think John D’s post says it all – paying for something called SEO but the SEO company has not done it – if the title tags etc are as he says. Any SEO co would have addressed all those issue inb the first stage, so obviously $350pm is not being paid for SEO and has been money down the drain (sorry).

Sadly this is a case of buyer beware…in this case it seems the buyer not doiung the homework and not knowing what they were buying well enough to even do the most rudimentary checks to see if it was being done….

SEO will last ages, but adwords, which it appears what you have been paying for lasts only as long as the ad is shown…

Yes SEO is easy enough – there are umpteen guides and how-tos out there and by joining some webmaster forums and getting site reviews (like John D has done) you will be assisted and learn.

Here is an article I wrote five years ago – even used a Stirling silver shop as an example….it addresses your situation rather well

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 159 total)
  • The topic ‘SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!’ is closed to new replies.