Home Forums Tech talk SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    SocialStep
    • Total posts: 39

Why would links in Flying Solo be DoFollow? How is this relevant to anything? Sorry you seem offended by an opinion when I never even mentioned link building once, nor am I even discussing SEO in those terms. If you aren’t looking at SEO as a long term strategy then you’re doing it wrong.

Do I need references to post here??

JohnW, post: 233360, member: 6375 wrote:
    This discussion is going off yet again into what appears to be a misinformed idea of the SEO process.

The SEO process is not and never has been primarily about link building. (That seems to be the inference behind the comment of a “small budget of $thousands per month”.)

Yes, there were and still are many who try to convince us that it’s all about links.

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

Where do you get the idea that, “SEO is a 1 year + strategy”?

I usually do a before and after SEO audit for clients one month after implementing SEO activities.

If you can’t show any results in that time, you have a problem or you don’t know what you are doing.

Kevin,
    As you claim a level of SEO expertise, would you care to share your LinkedIn profile with everyone else so they can check out your experience in more detail?

BTW, do you know that links in FS are no-follow?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Dave Gillen – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,547
    SocialStep, post: 233362, member: 64623 wrote:
    Do I need references to post here??

No you certainly don’t [USER=64623]@SocialStep[/USER]

[USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] when you disagree with someone (as we all do from time to time), please do provide your view on the topic for all to see and take on board – just be sure to debate the topic itself rather than whether a poster is qualified enough to provide a useful viewpoint.

Have a good weekend!

Dave

Dave Gillen - Client Acquisition | Brisbane | (07) 3180 0288
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 233373, member: 49676 wrote:
    No you certainly don’t [USER=64623]@SocialStep[/USER]

[USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] when you disagree with someone (as we all do from time to time), please do provide your view on the topic for all to see and take on board – just be sure to debate the topic itself rather than whether a poster is qualified enough to provide a useful viewpoint.

Have a good weekend!

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I had not intended to go into this depth, but as you insist…

I find myself disagreeing with the general thrust and certain elements of Social Step’s SEO comments. I’ll go through a few.

1. “SEO is a 1 year + strategy…”
    I usually run a post SEO implementation audit in the first full month after the activity was implemented.

If you can’t show changes to the client by then, you either don’t know what you are doing or there is a problem that still needs more work.

2. “…search engines can read more and more like a person every few months…”
    Are we being referred to Google’s Hummingbird and RankBrain? If so, Google staff have indicated that these functions have nothing to do with how G’s algorithm ranks web pages.

3. “”SEO” in the original sense of the word…”
    Good point. What is the original sense of the word?

I’ve always taken SEO in its original sense to mean, the process of attracting as many relevant potential clients to a website via generic searches and encouraging site visitors to take the desired action(s) within the resource constraints provided by the client.

Has this changed?

4. “…isn’t as relevant as relevant content + social media presence.”
    For a start, there are so many types of searches where many people don’t even know what Google “sees” as relevant content.

Example 1. Search: Pocadot Wedding Invites
    An SEO should have advised this business to consider changing the domain name as it will rarely be found with a company name search.

Why? Google assumes it’s a typo and automatically delivers search results for “polka dot”, not “pocadot”.

…Nothing to do with relevant content and social media.

Example 2: Search: Railway sleepers Sydney
    Only a handful of words on each page, no external links of any relevance and no social media presence at all.

Last I checked it it also ranked 1 or 2 on smartphones even though it is not mobile enabled.

Examples 3. Search: Plumber (location skewing)
    The searcher’s location has a major impact on certain types of searches. It typically kicks in with searches for local retail available products and for local services. This factor may kick in for as many as 20% of all Google searches.

We should all receive very different search results for a search term like, “plumber”.

In the top 10, I get the websites of two plumbers located near me and my suburb’s plumbers listing pages from four business directories.

Examples 4. Search: Plumber (predictive search skewing)
    It used to be called “Universal” search results. Maybe it is now classified as Hummingbird or RankBrain.

What may also crop up in your top 10 results may be pages from:

• job sites with plumbing jobs near you
    • plumbing courses at colleges near you
    • Master Plumbers Assoc
    • plumbing supplies near you

This is Google deciding to drop in results for predictive search terms. These predictive terms can change depending on what searches people have been using recently.

5. Search Engines Don’t Rank Content
    Essentially, search engines rank web pages based on their assessment of the individual words used in a search query. Copywriting “quality” has little to do with it.

When you see Yellow Pages, True Local, shopping category search results, you’re not seeing “quality copy”, you usually see long lists of perhaps 50 plumbers in your suburb or you see a list of 60 products in a category list on a Bunning, Kmart, Target, etc. web page.

If you are offering SEO services, you need to know what types of pages rank for what types of searches.

Blog article pages will be a waste of time for these types of searches.

…and its nothing to do with social media.

6. Social media’s impact on search results
    I’m not entirely clear on what Social Step means with this statement.

If he thinks Facebook, Twitter, etc. posts have an impact on Google’s algorithm, this is incorrect.

I could name four Google employees who have stated this multiple times. We’ve also had posts about it on FS. (27 Mar 16: The Best Google SEO Video in the Last 2 Years?)

7. “you would be better off spending the entire $350 on blog posts/articles”
    That assumes the copywriter and the page publisher know who they are targeting, for what product/service or problem / solution posted in the search engine, how to generate ranking points for the words in the search terms targeted and they understand how to generate conversions.

For $350 it seems you only get 5 pages of copy. Not exactly a cheap commodity if it can’t deliver results.

What makes me scream are the number of sites, associated blogs and social media pages that I get to audit which are clearly a waste of time.

Don’t jump all over me. Social media can be a huge asset in the right market, with the right programs and aimed at the right target audiences.

My beef is with the majority I see that don’t pass muster!

It’s common to see hundreds of posts made, the same names cropping up in the engagement functions and overseas names when they are obviously irrelevant. You often find the social media publisher is generating most of the engagements via multiple social media accounts, etc.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Corey
    • Total posts: 568

off topic…

the original posters website is offline and the domain name has expired.

Cheers
    Corey

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Corey, post: 233391, member: 31331 wrote:
    off topic…

the original posters website is offline and the domain name has expired.

Cheers
    Corey

your comment was actually very much on topic.

I guess if they followed all the contradictory advise on this thread, they wouldn’t know if the were Arthur or Martha, and be changing their site on a daily basis. I would have given up ages ago based on the contradictory advise provided.

bb1
    Participant
    JohnW, post: 233360, member: 6375 wrote:
    Kevin,
    As you claim a level of SEO expertise, would you care to share your LinkedIn profile with everyone else so they can check out your experience in more detail?

Interesting request.
    I wasn’t aware that to be an SEO expert or otherwise that you needed a linkedin account.

Plus I would ask the obvious question, does LinkedIn give any indication of the quality of work offered, as we all know, we can say anything in our LinkedIn accounts. Just like a resume for a job, and having read many resumes, they don’t tell you much about the quality.

IMO

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308

Fair enough comment Bert,

On the other hand, I obtain all of my new business online and have increased turnover and profit x 4 in 2 years 2 months from having on optimised site and running ads in the 1st 18 mths.

I have just put in a quote totaling $280K P.A off the back of Google – all business leads are now organic, so they are free.

I am starting 2 x new jobs today – one is $40K P.A and one is $50K P.A – the $40K job was quoted and negotiated in a day and I was the ONLY provider that quoted – the company saw a good fit – and so do I. I am excited to be able to help them and feel that the changes I can make will be all positive.

The power of Google!

It is true that you do not need a degree to perform SEO and there are a lot of differing opinions out there.

Google outline the best approaches to SEO and the practiitioners follow their advice and apply it to small businesses and soloists.

It shouldn’t come as a huge surprise that the noteworthy practitioners in this thread, have a long history of proven results, and care, often to their detriment, about the success of their clients, more than their fees.

bb1
    Participant

Paul, No where in those 2 posts have I knocked our regulars, I think most people know I respect their thoughts, but will happily question them if I think it has stepped over reality. BUT if you read the whole thread, there is that much contradictory information and arguments that if anyone decided to actually follow the advise they would go crazy, and the requirement to have a linkedIn profile is just ludicrous. IMHO as the first person to say DONT take SEO advise from me.

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308

Hi Bert,

It is the nature of forums that people can post their point of view and you are right that this thread has a lot of contradictory information in it.

Of course there is no requirement for any sort of background information to be given before posting – every member is welcome to post and should feel welcomed when posting.

When you mix a diversity of viewpoints and a topic like SEO, it may well seem confusing. I wanted to demonstrate that the payoffs for being able to sort the information on a topic like SEO for micro to small business can be huge:-)

Viewing 9 posts - 151 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • The topic ‘SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!’ is closed to new replies.