Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    John C.
    • Total posts: 439
    Up
    ::
    bridiej, post: 68085 wrote:
    Exactly, and it’s all about perception – I consider a Rolex watch to be expensive but to Richard Branson it’s not much money at all…

And despite whether something is cheap or expensive, if $350 is being paid for SEO then that’s what should be done… SEO!

Good point, although I think that saying that SEO will be provided for $350 per month, is a bit like saying that a watch will be provided for $350 – you don’t know whether that watch will be a Timex or a Rolex until after you receive it, at which point it’s probably too late to renegotiate.

In an ideal world the contract would say something like the following:

For $350 per month we (the SEO company) will provide the following

10 backlinks per month from PR 4 or above sites related to your industry (An 18 carot gold Rolex from the Sefarer range)
    Copywriting for 5 new articles which will be submitted to 10 article directories (A black snakeskin band with an 18 carot buckle)
    1st page result for the following keywords within x number of months (a suede leather watch case and felt polishing cloth)

etc

The reality is that in most cases the contract, if any, says something like:

SEO services – $350 per month

And because most people don’t know what SEO is, they can’t really complain when they receive the plastic Timex! I definitely hope that this practice changes, but while there are people out there with little knowledge, there will be people out there willing to take advantage of them…sad but true.

RAds
    • Total posts: 126
    Up

Wow … a few Google searches says that the entire jewelry market is incredibly saturated and you’re going to have trouble with SEO. But you should be getting keyword reports. Even Google webmaster tools will give you those.

Your site is seriously unoptimised for SEO though, like everyone else said. You need a graphic designer in to make your site look ultrasnazzy after an SEO person gets it and changes all your images to text and/or puts alt tags on them and gets your on-site SEO sorted out. I have a jewelery page myself and there’s so many other jewelry sites I wouldn’t even know where to start in finding mine via google.

Not that I know much about SEO, one of my sites suddenly ranked at about 1-5 for a bunch of stuff to the point I was getting *too* much traffic, I just redirected it and now I’m SEOless and not ranking at all until Google works out what is going on. I feel naked with my adsense revenue AWOL …

AdServe
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    SmallBusinessWorks, post: 67955 wrote:
    Don’t feel bad we used to pay over $2000 per month for no results! In the end i had to learn SEO myself now we are achieving 10X the result of the SEO firm for a few hours a week in front the of the TV.

SEO is pretty easy (sorry all you SEO experts on the forum) i highly recommend all business owners educate themselves to some degree on SEO especially if you have a webstore. Just be a bit careful what you read on the web some of it is total crap. I found the key was to test & measure

Hi yes this is good advise, the links that most SEO co’s will get you are of little value (or even negative value) and they disappear fast.

My Advice is

Stop paying your $350pm.

I cant see one single anchor link on your homepage “Sterling Silver Jewellery”.. Link the headings at the bottom of the page to a relevant page in the site.

Think of all the quality people you could get to link to you.
    Australian Jewellery associations.
    Bloggers, dont just spam there sites.. email and get to know them, toss them some cheap items or pay them.
    Its all about quality links really and they need to be one way links.. no link backs.

Install a ZenCart SEO module or use mod rewrite to clean up and make the urls of the site work for you. (I can do this pm me if you like)

Your paying over $4000 per year… Im sure some adwords or an affiliate marketing campaign (search clixgalore) would work better for you.

Netboost SEO
    • Total posts: 191
    Up

for $350 a month you can’t expect that much – although they have clearly underdelivered and you should not pay them a cent more.

SEO in itself is all about traffic but some SEO’s (like myself) also offer general web marketing so we can help clients troubleshoot issues like low conversion rates and see what the barriers are to sales.

The OP’s website needs a serious makeover as it is not that attractive and has no clear call to action – fix the website first and then focus on SEO (I hope you fired your old company!)

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 70569 wrote:
    for $350 a month you can’t expect that much

This is where I disagree with so many other “SEO companies” and that’s … well… why … mmm… I guess… I have so many clients.

$350 a month it’s a lot of money… may be not for you, but for many small businesses.

I was paid a similar amount 7 weeks ago to rank a fellow flyingsolo member for 1 keyword… and the ranking is now achieved. 3rd position — and no… not for a long tail keyword —

the fact is : We love to play with our clients minds… and pretend what we do is SOOOOOO complicate and it takes YEAAAAAARS to learn.

But if you really think that with $350 per month a customer shoudn’t expect a lot? ^_^
    Great… more business for us

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Aidan, post: 67985 wrote:
    SEO, is or should be, about getting the RIGHT visitors to your site, without the right ones you have no hope of converting them to sales!
    This is a 380 page shopping cart with a lot of problems as many people have pointed out. Ranking top for a single or small number of frequently used search phrases won’t achieve much.

Aiden has hit the nail on the head with his comments.

The single most critical SEO problem for this site is that is has no content.

In my experience SEO of shopping cart sites usually has to start with redressing the lack of relevant and unique content on its web pages. Very frequently you find that there are many shopping carts that have published identically worded individual product pages and the SEs tend to relegate them into the meaningless web void.

You can’t address this site’s problems with a link building strategy.

Regs,
    JohnW

Netboost SEO
    Up
    seocourse, post: 70596 wrote:
    This is where I disagree with so many other “SEO companies” and that’s … well… why … mmm… I guess… I have so many clients.

$350 a month it’s a lot of money… may be not for you, but for many small businesses.

I was paid a similar amount 7 weeks ago to rank a fellow flyingsolo member for 1 keyword… and the ranking is now achieved. 3rd position — and no… not for a long tail keyword —

the fact is : We love to play with our clients minds… and pretend what we do is SOOOOOO complicate and it takes YEAAAAAARS to learn.

But if you really think that with $350 per month a customer shoudn’t expect a lot? ^_^

I do not believe that undercutting is the best way to do business, otherwise everyone would be getting their SEO from india (and the cheapest I have seen there is $110/month) and thats just directories and blog comments.

Some SEOs charge $1000 per hour and have no shortage of clients. The general consensus on SEO pricing is that $2500 a month is on the low end.

I do not see the point in devalueing yourself, after all doctors could charge only $20 per patient, a waiter could work only off tips, it doesn’t cost business coaches $300 an hour to coach you, and does a CEO really need $1 million a year when I am sure they could find someone just as good to do it for $150k?

Personally I prefer to work in profit sharing partnerships where I get a % of website revenue in exchange for ongoing SEO and web marketing. But seriously what is the point in under-valueing yourself, if you really want to make $20 an hour why not go work at target?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

To mix useless acronyms, SEO is BS. All that matters is results.

For most of us, a website should generate visitors that want to phone the the site owner, email them or place orders.

I know there are some serious SEO chargers out there but to be fair I can’t say I’ve seen any company that charges $1,000 per hour.

Regs,
    JohnW

AdServe
    Up
    seocourse, post: 70596 wrote:

Yeah I think the only test you should aply to a SEO firm is typing search engine optimisation into Google If they have a result in the top ten then they know what there doing and can charge over a thousand per month.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

If I were in the business of trying to attract SEO clients (and many of the best deliberately do not!) I would probably prefer to get ranked for searches from likely clients rather than people who are info seeking, so it would be terms like ‘SEO consultant’ or ‘SEO services Sydney’, rather than ‘search engine optimisation’…

my two cents :)

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 70621 wrote:
    I do not believe that undercutting is the best way to do business, otherwise everyone would be getting their SEO from india (and the cheapest I have seen there is $110/month) and thats just directories and blog comments.

Some SEOs charge $1000 per hour and have no shortage of clients. The general consensus on SEO pricing is that $2500 a month is on the low end.

I do not see the point in devalueing yourself, after all doctors could charge only $20 per patient, a waiter could work only off tips, it doesn’t cost business coaches $300 an hour to coach you, and does a CEO really need $1 million a year when I am sure they could find someone just as good to do it for $150k?

Personally I prefer to work in profit sharing partnerships where I get a % of website revenue in exchange for ongoing SEO and web marketing. But seriously what is the point in under-valueing yourself, if you really want to make $20 an hour why not go work at target?
    Who says we’re undercutting? I’m $135/hr and what I focus on is bringing my clients VALUE and ROI. I work with them to make sure I’m improving their business.

I like that you do a profit sharing partnership, that’s a good thing, but it sure feels like you’re looking down your nose at some of us smallfish SEOs, and that’s not very cool.

AdServe
    Up
    Aidan, post: 70662 wrote:
    If I were in the business of trying to attract SEO clients (and many of the best deliberately do not!) I would probably prefer to get ranked for searches from likely clients rather than people who are info seeking, so it would be terms like ‘SEO consultant’ or ‘SEO services Sydney’, rather than ‘search engine optimisation’…

my two cents :)

Maybe, but those words are no where near as competative.. You have to be good to get to the top and stay there with the most competative terms.
    Most of the companies on this page have case study’s or show off there rankings for there clients.. for example

So if I was going to be handing over more than a thousand dollars per month or even $350 I would need to see some proof.

Netboost SEO
    Up

@John W, go check out Rand Fishkin of SEOmoz he used to charge $1000/hr..
    and I belive graywolf (John Gray) charges $600/hr for consulting via phone and email only.

I am not looking down my nose at people, indeed $135 an hour is very fair, but I strongly disagree with charging rock bottom prices as they are unsustainable. There is also the trend that clients who shop on price over quality and whinge about every dollar are the ones who will chew up all your time and complain the most.

It is like that in every industry – I rmember back when I worked at a pizza place it was always the customers who had the coupons that complained the most whereas the ones who ordered the more expensive pizzas were quite satisfied.

That being said I realise there is a difference between a startup that cannot afford $2500 for web marketing and someone who is just stingy. Thats why if I believe in their business I will SEO them at for a share of future profits. I am willing to take on all the risk and spend thousands marketing a client site if I believe it is a good venture….

It is worth keeping in mind that SEO companies based in developed countries that charge less than $300/month are probably using cheap greyhat linkbuilding and doing little else. SEO is about building a website’s brand – it is not just about pumping links at something.

Aiden brings up a great point – every SEO should know the difference between browsing keywords (general and broad with low conversions but high traffic) and buying keywords (long-tail, low traffic, high converting)

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    Netboost SEO, post: 70682 wrote:
    SEO is about building a website’s brand – it is not just about pumping links at something.
    I think charging monthly for anything SEO is one of the biggest scams perpetrated in recent internet history, and I’m sick of it.

I don’t want to argue semantics and get into debates about anything right now, but anything an SEO is charging monthly for better be:

• Trackable
    • Measurable
    • Valuable

And if it’s anything other than building links to increase their performance in Search Engines, then it’s probably Web Marketing, and not SEO. That’s a whole separate discussion.

Like Gab (SEOCourse) I’ve got a fair few FS’ers under my wing, and nearly every one of them wanted a bit of help with SEO but didn’t know to call the rest of it Web Marketing. Some could really only afford some simple SEO, which when done correctly, cost about $500 all up, was done in one month, and doesn’t need to be done every month.

I think anybody charging $350 for anything web-related better have an itemised list of not only all the stuff they’ve done, but how they anticipate that bringing value (and ROI) back to the client. Otherwise, I’ll consider them dodgy as hell.

I am not looking down my nose at people, indeed $135 an hour is very fair, but I strongly disagree with charging rock bottom prices as they are unsustainable.

Don’t remember anybody on here claiming they did this. Forgive me if I missed when they did that. I think most of us chiming in on this thread charge what we believe is fair and offers the right value to the client.

That being said I realise there is a difference between a startup that cannot afford $2500 for web marketing and someone who is just stingy. Thats why if I believe in their business I will SEO them at for a share of future profits. I am willing to take on all the risk and spend thousands marketing a client site if I believe it is a good venture….

Which shows you’ve got the right idea in mind and probably have a soul.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

It is worth keeping in mind that SEO companies based in developed countries that charge less than $300/month are probably using cheap greyhat linkbuilding and doing little else. SEO is about building a website’s brand – it is not just about pumping links at something.

Mmm may I have no idea about SEO and may be when you google SEO consultant I’m just in 1st position because I bought a ticket in a raffle…. and I won the 1st position.

But what you claim is so funny and makes me smile.

Define why if someone pays me $300 for link building per month I should produce greyhat links?
    how do you come up with a statement like that?

not trying to create conflict… but I’m curious.

Please Define for me greyhat? and why you.. as an SEO expert CAN’T produce GOOD links for less than $300 per month?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 159 total)
  • The topic ‘SEO – I’m Paying $350 month & no results!’ is closed to new replies.