Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO Karma? Try Customers Karma

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up
    ::

Time flies….
    14 months ago, I posted in my blog about a dodgy company that was doing dodgy things in the SEO arena.

I posted and then I came here to talk about it.

My post was banned and flagged and then the legal team of this company contacted me.
    They called my house 20 times and their CEO/Owner… went to my facebook page, saw my photo with my family… and started to send text me about how their lawyers where going to destroy my family and my kids will be the victims of my blog post.

So I got scared. I really did.
    I removed the post.

Well Karma strikes back.
    Fairfax did a AWESOME article about them and now Google just kick them out as “Google partners”

It feels so good to believe there is a “divine” SEO justice out there

[links removed – Ed :)]

for the record, I have been in contacted with SMH about this case.
    ;)

clintmaher
    • Total posts: 306
    Up

Brilliant. The industry is a better place without certain companies.

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

What a douche bag, pardon my french.
    He got what he deserved “first page in google :) ” under the keyword “Gaming Google” lol

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Gab,
    I gather you’ll probably feel differently ;) but given the legal goings on last time around and also our guidelines on public disputes we’ve taken out the identifying links to the articles. Fair to say they’ve been outed publicly in any case!!
    Still a good story in business karma though!
    Hope you can understand our position here but of course all feedback welcome.
    Cheers,
    Peter

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 128097 wrote:
    Hi Gab,
    I gather you’ll probably feel differently ;) but given the legal goings on last time around and also our guidelines on public disputes we’ve taken out the identifying links to the articles. Fair to say they’ve been outed publicly in any case!!
    Cheers,
    Peter
    I’d much prefer if it was more like Whirlpool forums (with slightly higher maturity). It’s of benefit for people to know about dodgy operators like this, and to get differing opinions about services.
    seocourse
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 128136 wrote:
    I’d much prefer if it was more like Whirlpool forums (with slightly higher maturity). It’s of benefit for people to know about dodgy operators like this, and to get differing opinions about services.

hey Zara. I agree.
    that’s why returning to FlyingSolo becomes more difficult every day :(

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 128097 wrote:
    Hi Gab,
    Cheers,
    PeterNo offence, but I think that is a cop out. I understand that you are trying to protect FS from legal action but, at least in this case, it’s been to the detriment to your users.

The original post rightly warned people that the business was a dodgy operator, and that they targeted people new to a)technology and b)business or both, which is a lot of this forum. How many people went on to be ripped because the post was deleted? How many FS members lost money they could ill afford? We shall never know.

If I had specificity asked about this company and what people thought, rather than warning others about them, and someone posted ‘Don’t use them they are dodgy, would that also be removed?

Whirlpool allowed the thread and threads comments to stand because they thought it was in the best interests of their users. I only wish Flying Solo did the same.

For anyone who is interested in the article Google ‘smh google places news’ and it’s the first result.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up

And we’re all very pleased you find enough benefit to keep returning Gab.

Enjoy your weekend,

Robert

Robert Gerrish
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 128146 wrote:
    No offence, but I think that is a cop out. I understand that you are trying to protect FS from legal action but, at least in this case, it’s been to the detriment to your users.

Fair cop Matt, in this instance I agree it’s a guideline that perhaps hasn’t done as much as it may for the community.

As a regular you’ll be very aware how to stay within guidelines and I would have thought that in most instances it is possible to alert the community to something without directly naming – a subtle link to an article elsewhere perhaps, an invitation for people to send you a direct message for more information and so on.

I believe most agree that our guidelines are good, and generally our forums are considered friendly, open and beneficial to all.

We do update and amend the guidelines frequently and threads like this are carefully considered by the entire crew at FS.

Not everyone will be happy all the time, but we will continue to do our best to respond to the wisdom of the crowd. We’re learning from you all the time.

Robert :)

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 128146 wrote:
    Whirlpool allowed the thread and threads comments to stand because they thought it was in the best interests of their users. I only wish Flying Solo did the same.
    And as an almost direct result of the Whirlpool discussion, the individual concerned has had their accreditation removed by Google.

I would imagine Whirlpool’s T&Cs cover them from legal issues, couldn’t FS do the same rather than censorship, which never sits well with me?

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

I use another forum for a niche sport which is used by most people in the sport.
    They have a problem with :
    1) Fake reviews of products
    2) Fake feedback on companies supplying products
    I’ve met several of the people involved and they’re very nice people, except on the web.
    A friend of mine wastes a lot of time chasing up these fake reviews, he can only combat them by asking the person to quote a product number and, when they can’t, he finally shows that this is not a legitimate review. It’s too late by then of course.

On Flying Solo, with the sheer number of web designers, developers, graphic designers, copy writers, seo experts etc., it could easily dissolve into a s**t fight.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up

Manage a sh*t fight?
    Or censorship?

I know which I’d prefer.

Plus, the higher the quality of member (which this forum has) then the better the member reporting on threads/comments that are an issue. I’m a member of a couple of other industry forums, where the members actually engage in smart, intelligent discussion, and the “group” helps to manage any problem posts/members. And blanket censorship is avoided.

This site is very careful with who it allows to become a member, I’m guessing they vet to ensure it’s an Aus small business owner. That in itself is a pretty good filtering system for intelligent conversation. And the odd times it does get out of hand, they can step in. I wouldn’t see that happening too often. And certainly – I would have thought – worth a trial at least?

Robert Gerrish
    Up

Thanks again all. We will continue to monitor all discussions closely and respond to the numerous direct messages we receive from regulars and newcomers.

Generally I think the consensus is that the forums are friendly and helpful and that’s our main priority. We have seen many forums suffer and deteriorate and yet more fail to get much traction…so we must be doing something right.

Frankly we don’t enjoy seeing fights erupt, nor do we like removing or editing posts. Happily – thanks in no small part to our guidelines – very little of our time is spent doing either.

Enjoy the remainder of your weekend,

Robert

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    seocourse, post: 128019 wrote:
    Time flies….
    14 months ago, I posted in my blog about a dodgy company that was doing dodgy things in the SEO arena.

Is this the blog where you got an seo guy to hold a sign up and take pictures?

That was quite amusing.

Steve

seocourse
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 128275 wrote:
    Is this the blog where you got an seo guy to hold a sign up and take pictures?

That was quite amusing.

Steve

Yes, the one in my signature :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.