Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO Logic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up
    ::

Have to admit, I’m new to all this SEO stuff, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.

So if I were looking for an SEO provider, wouldn’t it make the most sense to pick the first organic .com.au in Google results? Just curious.

All best,

Lindsay

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

yes and no.

Ranking shows a lot.
    But ranking goes up and down.
    I know awesome dudes here that have been down in rankings and some of them that have been up a few times.

My suggestion is…
    read the content in their sites.
    If they TEACH you something with the content… is a good start.

James
    Participant
    • Total posts: 268
    Up

In a sense, yes.

Unfortunately search results fluctuate enormously. Somebody who ranks for ‘SEO services’ one day could be on page 10 the next.

More often than not there are 4 or 5 legitimate businesses on the first page, and 4 or 5 ‘dodgy’ ones.

The dodgy ones get their rankings through shady (black-hat) tactics that are detrimental to a website in the long-term. You don’t want them working on your SEO.

If you can find a business that is established and has appeared in search results year after year, I think the logic checks out.

There are obviously several other critical factors to consider, not least whether you are going to have a good working relationship.

Be wary of large firms offering small packages. They don’t really allocate resources to small business so it can often be a waste of money.

An independent local SEO is going to give you much more insight and personalised strategy, and if chosen well will pay off. You do sacrifice the guarantees and prices of the larger firms though.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Not to mention there are some great SEO guys out there who (believe it or not…) do NOT want to be found in Google!

easypeas
    • Total posts: 80
    Up
    Lindz, post: 156491 wrote:
    Have to admit, I’m new to all this SEO stuff, but I think I’m getting the hang of it.

So if I were looking for an SEO provider, wouldn’t it make the most sense to pick the first organic .com.au in Google results? Just curious.

All best,

Lindsay

It’s the results of their clients that matters. They would’ve spent a great deal of time on their site to get SEO just spot on, but in reality, a small business couldn’t afford that level of attention for their site.

Shout Out Digital
    • Total posts: 46
    Up

I would say Yes and No too!!

Yes because they are up there for a reason but no because SOME (minority) of those websites that are up there are there for maybe only a month to three months due to spammy link building methods that work in the beginning until Googles red flag picks them up and they get penalised. If you chose that company during that time period then you could end up with the same results. Short terms SEO campaign.

I don’t want to sound totally negative though, most of the guys there at page one are there based on merit so research is key and their client feedback if they provide it.

I hope you choose the right guys :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Lindsay,
    Anyone seriously chasing a long term top ranking for frequently used “SEO” search terms needs a VERY BIG SEO budget for their business.

Anyone with that sort of budget is probably not targeting the small business SEO market.

IMHO, the critical issues behind this SEO question are:

• Competition for specific search phrases
    • The search ranking algorithm changes
    • The volume of searches for specific phrases
    • The budget/resources available to chase specific search phrases

As Aidan said, many small business SEOs don’t bother to spend their time competing with those who target the major company’s SEO needs.

We are too busy generating business for our SME clients to waste time in keyword competitions.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Lindz
    • Total posts: 254
    Up

Thanks for your input everybody.

I think you’ve managed to clarify most of what of I’ve ever read on this subject;

Content is important too. Smaller/local might be better. Black hat. Time/attention spent. Shy. Google flags.

Summing up: You get what you pay for….but no guarantees and informative content is good too. :) Thanks again.

All best,

Lindsay

Cesar
    • Total posts: 591
    Up

If you have a close look at some of the monthly fees SEO’s are charging these days, your best bet is to get an SEM/Adwords expert.

Firstly, in most instances it’s cheaper in the long run if performed correctly.

Secondly, you won’t have the volatility of relying on organic rankings, especially in this “day and age”. After all the recent updates, no one is truly sure what is around the corner.

Thirdly, you will see whether your website converts well or not more rapidly, in lieu of having to find out later and $1000’s of “out of pocket” SEO expenses that your site/product is non-profitable, non-converting.

BTW, Who said I was Anti-Google, Anti-Adwords, Anti-Online Marketing? Lol…

But, in many instances you know I’m right…

PK SEO Services
    • Total posts: 31
    Up
    James Rayers, post: 156501 wrote:
    In a sense, yes.

Unfortunately search results fluctuate enormously. Somebody who ranks for ‘SEO services’ one day could be on page 10 the next.

More often than not there are 4 or 5 legitimate businesses on the first page, and 4 or 5 ‘dodgy’ ones.

The dodgy ones get their rankings through shady (black-hat) tactics that are detrimental to a website in the long-term. You don’t want them working on your SEO.

If you can find a business that is established and has appeared in search results year after year, I think the logic checks out.

There are obviously several other critical factors to consider, not least whether you are going to have a good working relationship.

Be wary of large firms offering small packages. They don’t really allocate resources to small business so it can often be a waste of money.

An independent local SEO is going to give you much more insight and personalised strategy, and if chosen well will pay off. You do sacrifice the guarantees and prices of the larger firms though.

Hit the nail right on the head mate. I very much agree with that statement. Big companies don’t always offer a personalised service where consultants are a little more in the know and can offer a little bit more bang for buck

klix media
    • Total posts: 26
    Up

hey lindzz ..

glad to here bout your question which is buzzing in every where ..

answer is yes it do effect about niche domain ..

when google has 2 domain one is normal .com and second is .com.au ..

than google will keep priority to .com.au always when its matter of search in australia …

as google understood than what ever user searches will be mostly in their country not in whole world ..

so that is reason why google puts more focus on niche country domain … :)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.