Home – New Forums Marketing mastery SEO – quality backlink building

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    ::

Hi Lee,

Firstly huge congrats on getting up and running.

You have been given some sound knowledge in this thread, but I am going to be a tiny bit brutal, please do not take offense and it’s slightly off topic :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I am your TARGET MARKET, a small business with a decent marketing budget.

I went to your site and I felt it’s hard to navigate and find the basic information I need and there is a LOT of text to read through :)

So before you start putting many hours into SEO and driving people to your website, may I suggest the following:

• Break down the site into a few more pages
    • Add an easy to navigate menu
    • Fix the broken links (IE packages button)
    • More information is needed on the “Our Work” pages.
    • Add an About Us page and give us your background
    • Break up your Social media and Facebook marketing pages into sections with images to make it easier to read.

When you are driving traffic to your website the bottom line is, the site is your showcase for selling your services and building trust with a potential client. So the clearer it is the more confidence people will have in you.

Your pricing packages are very clear and precise which is great, but I think more details on what each item in the package actually includes on a Services page would be great.

I really hope you read this with the intent it was written and that is to help you from a potential client perspective.

Cheers
    Mischelle :):)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 252076, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi Lee,

You have been given some sound knowledge in this thread, but I am going to be a tiny bit brutal, please do not take offense and it’s slightly off topic :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I went to your site and I felt it’s hard to navigate and find the basic information I need and there is a LOT of text to read through :)

So before you start putting many hours into SEO and driving people to your website, may I suggest the following:

• Break up your Social media and Facebook marketing pages into sections with images to make it easier to read.

When you are driving traffic to your website the bottom line is, the site is your showcase for selling your services and building trust with a potential client. So the clearer it is the more confidence people will have in you.

Your pricing packages are very clear and precise which is great, but I think more details on what each item in the package actually includes on a Services page would be great.

I really hope you read this with the intent it was written and that is to help you from a potential client perspective.

Cheers

[USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] this is becoming a real concern, we agree with each other again…LOL. Although you put it far more detailed then I did

nicknz
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Lee,

Hope all well mate and congrats on getting the site up and running.

Have 15 years experience in SEO and PPC so can help point you in the right direction.

Just had a quick look at your website and I would focus on getting the basics right before looking at the link building side of things. Just had a look at the title tags on your homepage and the current one is “8 Inspiring Facebook Ad Examples and Why They Work | Social Revolution”

Need to do the keyword research first and then revolve your content / site structure around those keywords. A lot to discuss in one post but feel free to reach out to me as more than happy to help you with the basics so you give yourself the best chance of success.

http://www.eyefalldigital.com

Cheers

Nick

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up
    nicknz, post: 252091, member: 100897 wrote:
    Just had a quick look at your website and I would focus on getting the basics right before looking at the link building side of things. Just had a look at the title tags on your homepage and the current one is “8 Inspiring Facebook Ad Examples and Why They Work | Social Revolution”
    Oh yeah, damn, good spot!

So you definitely need to sort out your theme then, as it doesn’t seem like it has something as basic as a correct page title structure in place, and if it’s missing something as basic as that I’d worry about what else it was missing.

And clicked through from one of your homepage links to this page: http://socialrevolution.com.au/rambo_project/online-bookings

Not really sure what’s going on with the layout here (on any screen wider than 870px), there’s a small image stuck by itself on the left, then a huge space of nothing between some text in the sidebar at the right. It’s missing content in the main content area.

Leeperry
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    Mischelle, post: 252076, member: 60404 wrote:
    Hi Lee,

Cheers

Thanks Mischelle. I really appreciate your feedback. I originally set my website up only to have a presence and have been gradually working on it but not with the level of thought needed… Then I think I got caught in the rabbit-hole of SEO and started forgetting the most important thing I tell my customers all the time. Focus on the customer experience. *facepalm

Sometimes you forget the obvious but glad to have support on communities like this to help. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Lee

Leeperry
    Up
    nicknz, post: 252091, member: 100897 wrote:
    Hi Lee,

Hope all well mate and congrats on getting the site up and running.

Have 15 years experience in SEO and PPC so can help point you in the right direction.

Need to do the keyword research first and then revolve your content / site structure around those keywords. A lot to discuss in one post but feel free to reach out to me as more than happy to help you with the basics so you give yourself the best chance of success.

http://www.eyefalldigital.com

Cheers

Nick

Thanks Nick. Yeah, it seems I really do. Not sure why the latest blog post is showing as the title tag. I’ve been having issues with the template and have been meaning to overhaul it.

I think my project over the coming weeks is going to be to fix my website. Too many issues really and it’s such a crucial piece.

Cheers for the comments :)

Lee

Leeperry
    Up

Thanks everyone for your comments, a lot of really helpful input. I’m so thankful to have a community like this.

I’m going to have to take a back step on the link building idea it seems. A lot of work is needed on my website, and I still have clients to manage :)

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    Up
    bb1, post: 252085, member: 53375 wrote:
    [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] this is becoming a real concern, we agree with each other again…LOL. Although you put it far more detailed then I did

[USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] Thanks for the giggle :), yeah I tend to go into a lot of details :):)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Lee,
    Michelle hit the nail spot on with her advice to target potential client’s search queries.

What was not detailed was the very different info needs of all the client segments you may want to target. This is the major stumbling block for most websites.

I always made marketing interns spend time on the road with great salespeople. Good salesfolk are the ones who would instinctively match a specific product’s or service’s features with the needs of an individual customer. That’s what you need to do on your website.

You can’t publish a website that attracts client types (the term “personas” is often used) then converts them into enquiries without this skill.

Forget frequently used keyword planners. This is where people start their searches. You want to rank #1 when the very small numbers that are your real target audience finish their searches. There has never, ever been a keyword planning tool that provides this level of info.

As the business owner, you need to define:

• How many new clients can you support per month?
    • What types of clients do you want to attract?
    • With what volume of social media budgets?
    • In which market categories do you prefer?
    • Which social media programs do you prefer to service? (Facebook, Instagram. LinkedIn, etc.)
    • What locations can you best support?

The biggest barrier for social media marketing is that after all these years it still has trouble justifying its return on investment.

I suggest you need to take on this major negative with your own success stories.

You need to provide info about topics like these:

• What social medium works best for different communications objectives
    • What social medium works best for repeat customers vs. new customers
    • What social media programs work best for which market segments – B2B, B2C, women, men, in which country, etc. etc.
    • Do you have any case studies, reviews, referrals?
    • In which industries / markets do you have experience?

Good luck.

JohnGG
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

This problem seems to be one of two parts. The first is getting people to your site and the second is keeping them there.

On getting people to your site, the backlinks thing is rather overrated, it’s very “oldschool”. I’ve seen sites which rank a hundred pages on page 1 throughout the US doing it with just 2 backlinks. These are special backlinks that have a high page rank and very valuable. Those are what you should go after. Forget about trying to get 14,000 backlinks of dubious quality because they will never be counted by Google.

Second is the citations. Citations are marvelous gambit by those companies to sell you other products. They usually don’t work in order to rank your site. You should get going for just 3 or 4 with high trust flow. I’ve included a list here from a site which will give you something to choose from.

https://loganix.net/citation-building-lists/australia

I’d only go for those which are absolutely high, and 4 sites is ample. This is contrary to the assertions of very animated people who want to make you get their services.

Third is engagement. This, I think, is the one which is probably more important than anything else – having good engaging quality copy, having pictures, having videos, having a reason for people to stay on the page for at least a minute – is an excellent way. That will count for more pretty much than anything.

So if you run with these ideas in conjunction with the other suggestions of the people in this forum post, I think you will do well.

JohnW
    Up

Hi JohnGG,
    Sorry to be picky, but you seem to be offering a link to inaccurate, misinformed and out-dated info about backlinks/citations.

I jump in because we have so many business owners who may not be able to assess the SEO consequences of your ref’ed article.

First, Google’s position. Here is what two G spokespeople said about backlinks from minor business directories last year:

Oct 2016: Google: Directories Often Not The Right Way To Build Links

“On Friday, Google’s John Mueller and Gary Illyes both made stern comments about directory links. Gary’s was the most telling, where he wrote on Twitter “directories are very often not the right way to build links.” John Mueller’s tweet was more cryptic using the “Directories? 0″ message.”

Your link is to a page on a backlink building service site that seems to be unchanged for three years. G has been at war with backlink building services like this and the tactics they recommend. A 3 year old page in this envirnment is likely irrelevant.

The article cites impressive sounding terms like “domain authority” or “trust flow” but these are just metrics concocted by an SEO tool vendor. Neither is used by Google. Their use is not explained by the backlink service.

Crucial Google indexing/ranking factors include:

• The tool vendors do not know which backlinks and link texts G uses in its PageRank algorithm for a specific search query.
    • Has G indexed the directory page that contains the link to your site?
    • Can/will G pass PageRank back to your site? (If it is a “no-follow” link, no PR will be passed.)
    • How diluted is the PageRank as it passes through the business directory?
    • What link text is used on the directory page?

I ran a short assessment of the first 10 business directories listed in the article. It suggests how outdated and SE ranking irrelevant are the directories:

1. aussieweb.com.au
    No link pathways from site’s Home page to any business category rellevant to our poster’s (LeePerry) site. G has indexed 717k pages on Aussieweb. By the time PageRank arrives at a business page, it is likely worth 3/5ths of 5/8ths of damn all.

2. australianguide.net
    This site seems to be no longer active. G is down to only indexing 38 pages. All seem to give a “server too busy” signal.

3. bloo.com.au/
    All Directory Links: “no-follow”
    “No-follow” links do NOT pass G’s PageRank. This site is useless for any G ranking boost.

4. brownbook.net/
    Very incomplete site navigation pathways. That should result in many businesses’ pages and their backlinks being excluded from G’s index.
    Eg: No category page indexed by Google for /social+media+Australia

5. businesslistings.net.au/
    A very minor business directory. Only 10k pages indexed by G.
    Very incomplete site navigation pathways should mean little PR passed to business listing pages.

6. businesssearch.com.au
    This site seems to be no longer active. G is down to only indexing 157 pages. All seem to give a page “not found” error message.

7. citybase.com.au
    This site seems to be no longer active. G has no site pages in its index.

8. comeonaussie.com/
    A very poorly structured business directory. Only 3.5k pages indexed by G.
    It does not seem to publish any business category / location pages.
    Passing PageRank (if any) back to a businesses’ website is likely a constantly changing raffle.

9. cylex.com.au/
    Links from business listing pages back to websites are “no-follow”. These cannot pass any PageRank.

10. dlook.com.au/
    A small directory. G has only indexed 164k pages.
    No social media business category indexed by G.

As far as I can see not one of these ten business directories are worth the time to submit to them.

Worse, listing in some of them may do your site harm. Here is what Google says:

Google’s Search Console Help – Link schemes
    “Here are a few common examples of unnatural links that may violate our guidelines:”
    “Low-quality directory or bookmark site links”

If you are going to build backlinks be very, very careful about how you do it.

G has hit some sites with penalties that were too hard to remove and the only solution was to rewrite and rebuild them on a new domain name.

PS. There is no “trust flow” in Google’s algorithm. If there was:

• “Fake news” would not be word of the year
    • G would not be fronting up to a USA senate enquiry
    • Hillary may be celebrating HER 1st year as President
    m4engineers
    • Total posts: 121
    Up
    JohnW, post: 252863, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi JohnGG,
    … but you seem to be offering a link to inaccurate, misinformed and out-dated info about backlinks/citations.

… on the contrary, when read in context with JohnGG’s post;

JohnGG, post: 252850, member: 99296 wrote:
    1. … the backlinks thing is rather overrated, it’s very “oldschool”.
    2. … Citations are marvelous gambit by those companies to sell you other products. They usually don’t work
    3. … … You should get going for just 3 or 4 with high trust flow.

The merit of John GG’s recommendation in my opinion is that the business will have 3 or 4 additional web properties in the appropriate search results, potentially in addition to the business website.

Do businesses care about jibberish such as domain authority, trust flow, backlinks, “no follow” and etc etc? or they really care more about the phone calls they receive?

Not so “useless” after all, is it?

JohnW
    Up

Hi Huey Liew,
    JohnGG’s statement seemed pretty clear to me:

“I’ve included a list here from a site which will give you something to choose from.

loganix.net/citation-building-lists/Australia

I’d only go for those which are absolutely high, and 4 sites is ample”

Your reply would infer that you do NOT know that links from the listed directories offer NO expectation of a boosted search result. Is this your intended message?

If you hang around FS for a while, you will find that statements and questions about DA (domain authority) PA (page authority) and their various synonyms from the different tool vendors are topics that are constantly cropping up on FS.

It seems many FS business owners get to know the terms because so many are bombarded by SEO spam emails promising to deliver external links from high DA websites.

Huey quote: “Do businesses care about jibberish such as domain authority, trust flow, backlinks, “no follow” and etc.”

Some of us old FS hands have been trying to educate business owners on the inaccuracy, irrelevancy and futility of such statements over many years.

I only know of one way to remedy the scam SEO problem and that is to help educate business owners with facts and logic. Are you able to join us?

Some of the most misrepresented, misunderstood and irrelevant terms include those concocted by the SEO tool vendors. It’s not the tool vendors, they will usually give an accurate description of their tool’s application but the spammers, scammers and SEO incompetents who ignore those.

These are some of the terms most frequently thrown at business owners – domain authority, page authority, trust flow and backlinks. Business owners should understand what they mean before falling for the blandishments of some SEO service that uses them as its own performance metrics.

If you have some alternative solutions, please let us know.

Hang around FS for a while (or do a forum search) to see how long, involved and heated are posts about dud SEO services. They should change your opinion very quickly.

Huey quote: “…or (do) they really care more about the phone calls they receive?”

Not all the small businesses on FS want phone calls. All the purely e-commerce and ad revenue sites are not too interested in them as a metric. Retailers, restaurants and entertainment services will want their sites to drive visitors through their doors.

For many, phone calls will be an important metric but it maybe too blunt to offer all the marketing comms feedback needed.

BTW, I have a much better and simpler starting test for assessing the potential value of small business directories as an external link sources than metrics like domain authority and trust flow.

Do three test searches:

• Search 1: plumbers +(your suburb/town)
    • Search 2: veterinary surgeons +(your suburb/town)
    • Search 3: (your business category) +(your suburb/town)

All small business directories target Google search results based on a (business category) +(location) query.

• The plumber+location search is a relatively high competitive search query type.
    • The veterinary surgeon+location search is a relatively low competitive search query type.

Check the G search results for both queries down to the top 20 G results to see what business directory pages crop up in the top 20 results.

You will likely find that the only general business directories in today’s top 20 query lists are:

• Yellow Pages
    • Truelocal
    • White Pages

Folk may find there are more industry vertical directories in the list than general business directories these days.

Backlink building these days goes way beyond any SEO tool vendor’s metrics.

Use them at your peril.

m4engineers
    • Total posts: 121
    Up
    JohnGG, post: 252850, member: 99296 wrote:
    … You should get going for just 3 or 4 with high trust flow.

JohnW, post: 252863, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi JohnGG,
    Sorry to be picky, but you seem to be offering a link to inaccurate, misinformed and out-dated

JohnW, post: 252874, member: 6375 wrote:
    You will likely find that the only general business directories in today’s top 20 query lists are:

• Yellow Pages
    • Truelocal
    • White Pages

So is it … inaccurate, misinformed and out-dated? Truly? Your reference to Yellow Pages, Truelocal and White Pages is congruent to JohnGG’s post!

See image below, from the link provided by JohnGG …

[ATTACH=full]1520[/ATTACH]

JohnW
    Up

Hi Huey,
    The OP was asking about building “quality backlinks”. I presume this was meant to build search ranking for his website.

Thank you for questioning the accuracy of my post. I should correct it to say that links from none of the 3 directories I recommended will help the poster’s ranking in results.

The reasons include:

• Links are no longer offered,
    • The website bars access to a businesses’ page by Googlebot and/or
    • Link are “no-follow”.

I still recommend that folk register with the 3 but that is to establish consistent NAP details with Google.

Back to the list of directories on the Loganix page…

I’ve now had time to check 20 of the 61 “directories” and so far as impacting on a businesses’ search ranking, I have to say that all 20 are batting zero, including YP, WP and Truelocal.

So I’m back to saying that (of the now 20 directories I’ve checked), they are all “inaccurate, misinformed and out-dated”.

Perhaps you could contribute to the discussion by checking whether any of the other 40 directories are of any use for passing PageRank and advising the FS business owners here which you recommend and why?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.