Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO Question.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    sixx
    • Total posts: 333
    Up
    ::

At least I think it is.

Hi,

I have a very simple question but I dare say it may not have a straight forward answer, so here goes.

I’m looking at linkng a few domains to take advantage of the traffic these keyword domains generate, but I’m not sure how this will affect the ranking of these already highly ranked “parked” domains.

So my question is: Let’s say I had a website which was LipCreamsByLisa.com and it got a bit of traffic but not much and ranked poorly but I also had the domain LipCream.com which is only parked in affiliation with the usual major parking site and ranked #3 on Google even in it’s basic state … Can I link this traffic/name directly to LipCreamsByLisa.com without affecting rank or will it be brought down to Lisas level?

Is there an ideal way to do this without transferring the complete site over?

Any pros and cons would be highly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

EDIT: What I mean by linking is someone clicks on LipCream.com and Lisas site opens up.

Double Edit: I don’t actually know a Lisa.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

To start: I don’t know any Lisa either :D

Having the traffic of one domain name redirect to another one, can be done in 2 ways.

1) one with a simple re-direct or domain forwarding …

You can do this by 301 redirection

2) by having one lading page, with some info and then when the user clicks on “more info”… you send them to the original site.

So your question is… will this affect the ranking of your “real” page?
    No… not at all.

Will this make ranking more difficult for the domain name that is being re-directed… in theory… may be…. you may loose some benefit of the inbound links you are sending to this domain name

My best advise is to let your 2 domain names rank… if you have a smaller site (or what I call a funnel site) just build a small page, allowed google to crawl it and rank it and then when the visitor arrives to your site, allowed them to click to go to your OTHER site…

mmm , make sense?

sixx
    Up

Thanks Gabriel, huge help.

Looking at option A (301 redirect), how does this work exactly and any downside to this?

seocourse
    Up

No problem.

It depends of your server

Redirect Old domain to New domain (htaccess redirect)

Create a .htaccess file with the below code, it will ensure that all your directories and pages of your old domain will get correctly redirected to your new domain.
    The .htaccess file needs to be placed in the root directory of your old website (i.e the same directory where your index file is placed)

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule (.*) http://www.newdomain.com/$1 [R=301,L]

Please REPLACE http://www.newdomain.com in the above code with your actual domain name.

In addition to the redirect I would suggest that you contact every backlinking site to modify their backlink to point to your new website.

Note* This .htaccess method of redirection works ONLY on Linux servers having the Apache Mod-Rewrite moduled enabled.

More info here…

http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

sixx
    Up

Whoa dude!!! Information overload!
    Thanks for the great reply, but you’ll need to dumb it down a bit … quite a bit. :)

Ok, maybe the word “exactly” was too strong.

Thanks alot though Gabriel.

So at the end of the day it can be done, not by me obviously, but it can be done?

seocourse
    Up

yes, it can be done…. sorry for the overload… ;)

sixx
    Up
    seocourse, post: 30269 wrote:
    yes, it can be done…. sorry for the overload… ;)

haha, thanks.

You’ve actually motivated me to try and get my head around it all.

cheers

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

This question came up recently in discussion with a knowledgeable marketing gentleman and his comment to me was that at one time not too long ago Google would penalise you for using similar and smaller sites to redirect to your main one.

He thought Googles attitude may have changed more recently on this one but for now I would suggest caution. Any idea that you might trick the search engines could get you into hot water.

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    peppie, post: 30296 wrote:
    He thought Googles attitude may have changed more recently on this one but for now I would suggest caution. Any idea that you might trick the search engines could get you into hot water.

Hello Sixx, Peppie has given you some good advice, be careful using lots of keyword domains to point to similar content – here is the link to the Google Webmaster Forum on this issue – http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/12/handling-legitimate-cross-domain.html.

Some of the info in the forum is pretty technical by nature but what it is basically saying is be careful. If you are using duplicate content only for the reason of trying to get a higher page rank then it may backfire on you. Consider it like opening lots of bricks and mortar stores where you walk in the door to find a billboard that says “real store 3 blocks down the road”.

The best way to be successful online is to concerntrate on your content, content is king, and provide value. Put effort into promoting your core brand.

Put effort into the SEO on your main website first. Google has some great tools to help like Google Webmaster Tool and the Google Webmaster Forum, Bing and Yahoo have similar.

Google:

1. Start a Google Webmasters account – http://www.google.com/webmasters
    2. Verify the domain by adding the verification html tag created by Google to the store
    3. Go to Google webmaster account and complete verification
    4. Create an XML sitemap
    5. Go to Google webmasters account – site configuration – sitemap – add sitemap

Bing:

1. Start a Bing Webmaster account – http://www.bing.com/webmaster
    2. Follow similar steps as above

Yahoo:

1. Start a Yahoo Site Explorer account – http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com
    2. Follow similar steps as above

You can use these accounts to add as many domains and sub-domains as you need but you will need to verify each that you add. You can watch what happens with you keyword domains and look at the advice given in the tools. It is all free and just takes a little time to setup.

John

seocourse
    Up
    peppie, post: 30296 wrote:
    This question came up recently in discussion with a knowledgeable marketing gentleman and his comment to me was that at one time not too long ago Google would penalise you for using similar and smaller sites to redirect to your main one.

This is funny, because it shows how people think of Google as a SECRET guy behind a desk… slapping websites that he doesn’t like :D

You are not trying to trick anyone here. Funnel sites strategies are in places in every single industry… and you are not doing any “secret – dodgy – strategy”.

Why Google will penalize a site that re-directs traffic to another? If they do that…. mmm they should penalize any affiliate website.

One of my customers have over 85 minisites pointing to his main site.
    Penalized ? Nop.
    Affected his ranking? Nop.
    Any minisite has been de-index? Nop.

You need to understand that google is just one thing: An Algorithm…. nothing more, nothing less..

John Debrincat
    Up
    seocourse, post: 30300 wrote:
    You need to understand that google is just one thing: An Algorithm…. nothing more, nothing less..

“An Algorithm… nothing more, nothing less….” you have never heard of PigeonRank™ – http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html :-)

But in all seriousness it is a little more complicated than that. Google tries to review websites and pages as a person would and is constantly changing and improving the “algorithm”.

How much time do you have in a day and how do you priorities your efforts?

John

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up

Gabriel

Me thinks you maybe are reacting a bit harshly. No one is suggesting Google sits behind a big desk with a stick ready to slap your hand when you speak out of turn. The only suggestion I make is to be careful.

Fundamentally Google has a right to protect it’s business as much as anyone and if they think owners of websites are trying to get under the radar then it seems to me they have the right to protect themselves.

In the end it makes more sense to work within the rules. Because according to my research there are plenty opportunities to do very well out of doing so.

seocourse
    Up

You are right… may be I was a bit hard.

My point is: getting banned from google is in fact not so easy.

And even if you get banned, websites that have been slapped by google, tend to recover their position with time…

My best tip is build your site without thinking and fearing the big G… ;)

seocourse
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 30303 wrote:
    “An Algorithm… nothing more, nothing less….” you have never heard of PigeonRank™ – http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html :-)

But in all seriousness it is a little more complicated than that. Google tries to review websites and pages as a person would and is constantly changing and improving the “algorithm”.

How much time do you have in a day and how do you priorities your efforts?

John

Well, John at the moment, I’m trying the Pomodoro Technique ;)
    http://www.pomodorotechnique.com (my wife thinks I’m crazy)

John Debrincat
    Up
    seocourse, post: 31625 wrote:
    Lol. What kind of reply is this? spamming Flyingsolo mate?

I love the

“Link Building is really very good way….” –> well written

Originally Posted ****** View Post
    Our link building services are designed to establish and improve your website’s link popularity.

Spot on SEOCOURSE the link building popularity comment is the worse bit of advice you can give anyone really trying to improve their website ranking.

Here is a quote from Google Webmasters:

“# You should never have to link to an SEO.

Avoid SEOs that talk about the power of “free-for-all” links, link popularity schemes, or submitting your site to thousands of search engines. These are typically useless exercises that don’t affect your ranking in the results of the major search engines — at least, not in a way you would likely consider to be positive.”

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35291

All website owers beware anyone who talks about link schemes, multiple domain names or promises you page 1 let alone number 1 ranking.

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.