Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference between
    Meta Tags, Meta Description and Meta Keywords is and what’s most important for SEO.

I’m in desperate need of a SEO clean up and would appreciate if someone could declutter those words for me.

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
    Mel

The Copy Chick
    • Total posts: 963
    Up

Hi Mel – I wrote a blog post about meta-tags a while back which might help.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

Anna – thanks for posting that link. I think your article explained this perfectly, and in an easy-to-understand manner for those of us that simply don’t get it!

The trick then I imagine is ensuring you have access within your website to actually write these yourself. I have installed a plug in for my Word Press site that makes it ridiculously easy to customise all things Meta, but I would assume some platforms do not make it so easy?

Mel – sounds like you have the ability to “DIY” on this sort of stuff, so I am sure Anna’s post will help clarify what each term relates to.

Thanks again Anna!

The Copy Chick
    Up

Glad you found my post helpful Jacqui :)

And yes, WordPress has access to some fantastic SEO plugins to help with your meta-data, such as Yoast and the All In One SEO Pack. I’m sure there are others, but these are two I’m quite familiar with.

If you don’t have a WordPress site, your website developer can load in your meta-tags, or instruct you on how to do this if you have a CMS site. For some clients, I’ve contacted their web developers and uploaded the meta-tags I’ve written for them as part of the package.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Mel,
    The single most important SE ranking attribute is the level of competition for a specific search phrase. i.e. Are there 10 or 10 billion web pages that match the search phrase?

Then there are a couple of thousand attributes that a SE uses to assign a “ranking point score” to every page that matches the search results. The one with most points, gets to be #1.

Of the three attributes you reference in your question:

• The use of search words in a page title scores lots of ranking points
    • The meta description scores no more ranking points than the same words used in the page body text.
    • The keywords meta tag is irrelevant.

No significant SE has used the keyword meta tag since before 2002 and Google has never used it.

This does not help you but it does answer your questions.
    Regs,
    JohnW

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

Thanks everyone, I shall get onto it.

@Anna
    : Great article, thank you. I do have the All in one SEO package on my wordpress site so it should be straight forward.

Have a great weekend all!

Regards,
    Mel

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Fingerfood, post: 162803 wrote:
    Thanks everyone, I shall get onto it.

@Anna
    : Great article, thank you. I do have the All in one SEO package on my wordpress site so it should be straight forward.

Have a great weekend all!

Regards,
    MelYoast SEO is so much better and easier to use than all in SEO.

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I have the Yoast plug in at my wordpress site and think you’d be hard pushed to find something easier to use… and it works

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    Fingerfood, post: 162701 wrote:
    I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference between
    Meta Tags, Meta Description and Meta Keywords is and what’s most important for SEO.

It’s important to understand that the while the META description isn’t a strong ranking factor it can be used by the search engines as the descriptive text (or snippet) that accompanies your site URL in the natural search engine result listings. Because of this you should make your META description compelling as it may help improve your click through rate in the search results. Also, try to keep it under 160 characters so the full text is displayed in the search results.

If you don’t provide a META description search engines generate your page snippet from other sources, usually the first sentences of your web-page.

arvoApp
    • Total posts: 50
    Up

In addition to previous responses you might want to also to look at placing internal links to other pages of your website as well as outbound links to authoritative sites in your industry. It would help with ranking and improve user experience.

The Copy Chick
    Up
    markn, post: 162888 wrote:
    If you don’t provide a META description search engines generate your page snippet from other sources, usually the first sentences of your web-page.

Even if you DO provide custom meta-data, the search engines may still generate a snippet from your webpage. My understanding is that the SEs will determine which has the most relevance to the search query – the meta-tag or content from the page.

Either way, it pays to have well-written, relevant tags and site content.

markn
    • Total posts: 103
    Up
    The Copy Chick, post: 162900 wrote:
    Even if you DO provide custom meta-data, the search engines may still generate a snippet from your webpage. My understanding is that the SEs will determine which has the most relevance to the search query – the meta-tag or content from the page.

Either way, it pays to have well-written, relevant tags and site content.

Yes, that’s why I said it *CAN* be used as the source for your SERP snippet. Google can even generate snippets for your site from other locations. For example, if you are listed in DMOZ then it can use that as the source for your page snippets.

FastLaner
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

I find the use of the Title and Meta Description to be very important in ranking factors.

Also the use of capitisation of words helps click through rate for me.

A good website for when you are writing your title and meta description is:

http://www.seomofo.com/snippet-optimizer.html

It shows you a live view of what you will look like in search results, this will help you to understand each factor and also learn how to stand out from the crowd using your meta description.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    FastLaner, post: 164881 wrote:
    I find the use of the Title and Meta Description to be very important in ranking factors.
    Hi FastLaner,
    With respect, I believe you will find that most SEOs regard words in the meta description tag to have no more impact on ranking than the same words used in the visible body text of a page.

IMHO, people should create unique description meta tags but not for ranking purposes.
    Regs,
    JohnW

FastLaner
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    JohnW, post: 164962 wrote:
    Hi FastLaner,
    With respect, I believe you will find that most SEOs regard words in the meta description tag to have no more impact on ranking than the same words used in the visible body text of a page.

IMHO, people should create unique description meta tags but not for ranking purposes.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Yeah I can understand that they may be the case, but as I see no harm in including your keyword in the meta description. Especially since it will bold which will make it stand out over results without the keyword.

“ranking better” was probably the wrong use of words. IMO it is still better to include your main keyword for more reasons than ranking alone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.