Home – New Forums Tech talk SEO Site Structure by City – Single or Separate Pages?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318
    Up
    ::

We’re already training in Brisbane and adding Sydney. Same course, same everything, new city.

What do you reckon? Single web page for both cities, or a page for each city?

If I do one page for Sydney and another page for Brisbane, the essence of the content would be the same but different dates, venue, and different wording to avoid duplication, with submenu.

Unless anyone has better ideas, my options seem to be:
    1. Single page. Regarding URL, Title, Content

(a) ‘xyz training sydney and brisbane’ (reads best for human visitors)
    (b) ‘xyz training sydney, brisbane’ (comma)
    (c) ‘xyz training sydney’. We also provide ‘xyz training brisbane’ or space even further apart.

possibly with internal links from the homepage with anchors.

2. Separate pages and optimise each for Sydney and Brisbane, respectively, in the URL, Title, Content.

What do you think?

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Paul,
    Not enough info provided to give reliable advice to you.

If I understand your post, you are offering some sort of training course in various locations.

The main G ranking issues are likely to revolve around:

• The level of competition for the type of training courses
    • How people search
    • Where they are located

If people search for a course without using any location word, courses offered by businesses in the searcher’s location are going to be boosted in the results. Will that get a specific course into G’s top 10 results? It will depend on the level of competition for the course.

With the very limited info available to us, I’d go for different pages for different locations.

That’s probably not enough! I’d also make a point of generating other location specific content that can be used to build the importance of each location word.

A lot of SE ranking is about showing G you have multiple pages of content relevant to the search terms. If one of the terms is “Sydney”, show G you have multiple “Sydney” relevant pages that link from your Sydney course page.

Send me a PM if you want a more detailed chat.
    Regs,
    JohnW

GuestMember
    Up

Thanks John. Catchment area is the cities themselves or people who are searching on these cities from nearby conurbations. Always enjoyed top position in the search engines on one city but #3 to 5 on the second city in both the UK (London, high competition) and here (Brisbane, moderate) after letting the results settle after the initial boost, logged out of Google, and on various connections.

Our prospects are deliberators, rather than impulse, and check out multiple suppliers. So not major deal for us but as I’m restructuring, it’s an opportunity to tune it more finely.

Searches would typically be “hypnotherapy training Sydney” and “Sydney hypnotherapy training”. We’re already on page 2 there even though we don’t mention it. Low search volume and we don’t get overly excited about analytics and keyword tools because data is so scant but customer who could (really) remember their searches often said they used these. UK business was at capacity so we got it spot on.

Here, we’re doing well but a bit less so. Hypnotherapy is a lot less popular here, many providers are distance learning (ours physical), and we’ve been selling to a population a quarter of the size and with Aussie low density population demographics and difficulty travelling.

Just going to tweak that second city.

Byron Trzeciak
    Participant
    • Total posts: 423
    Up

If you’re talking about local Australia cities then two different pages on the same site should do the job without any issue. Even if the content is almost the same you can easily rewrite to say the same thing but just in different wording and make it as unique as possible.

Use a location specific image and name accordingly.

Everything that is unique to the location should be added so if you do the training at different venues and different dates make sure that’s all included. You could consider even mentioning directions to the venue if that’s applicable.

Like John always says about the importance of relevance. If for example you wanted both Brisbane and Gold Coast you could potentially mash those together into one page but i think for two different cities you’re better off using seperate pages. It all depends on the level of competition.

GuestMember
    Up

Thanks Byron. Competition – there are plenty of providers but they’re not always competitive on SEO. Depends on the city. London was hugely competitive. Sydney is moderate, though we’re already on page 2 without mentioning Sydney. Brisie, well, even general directory sites often feature in the results.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Paul,
    Difficult to discuss specific examples with hypothetical info in a forum. Are you able to give us the URLs under discussion?

I’d start with considering your target search terms. You only talk about the search term, “hypnotherapy training Sydney” (or Brisbane or London).

Frequently used search terms, aren’t “frequent” and usually have a lower conversion rate.

My rule of thumb is that, if you rank #1 for the 15 most frequently used keywords, they should only generate around 30% of your site’s generic SE referrals. 70% should come from the “squillions” of keywords that generate less than 3 SE referrals per month.

I’d suggest you consider a much wider range of search terms and write pages around them.

Eg: If I search on G for: hypnotherapy training for

G’s predictive search tells me that people are searching for hypnotherapy training for:

• dentists
    • doctors
    • nurses
    • psychologists
    • therapists
    • health professionals

You could write pages aimed at specific target audiences that not only may broaden your audience but provide info pages that improves your conversion rate.

Is the complexity and differences between the courses in the three locations such that it would make sense for each to have its own landing page with 2-3 pages of related info linked from them?

Eg. Might there be different trainers/speakers at the different locations that may be used to publish bio pages related to a specific location page? What about the course content, outline, benefits and target audiences?

I’m unclear on your London reference. Are you holding a course there or are you trying to attract UK participants to your Bris, Syd courses?

If targeting UK searchers, you need to consider search results on google.co.uk. This will add another level of complexity to your SEO. Have you checked how your page ranks on G UK?

I keep hammering the importance of SEO strategy and tactics in this forum. You are hitting us with the opportunity to explore how/why this is so…
    Regs,
    JohnW

GuestMember
    Up

Thank you John. I’ll digest this more later. Have a good evening.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.