Home Forums Other discussions Setting up a family Trust Fund

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    In a rush
    • Total posts: 1

After a lot of years I find that a discretionary trust fund may solve a problem with asset protection being the main aim. However, I would like to know how, if possible to transfer ownership of real estate that is owned but mortgaged by a bank.
    Any firsthand knowledge would be great.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    In a rush, post: 268417, member: 116952 wrote:
    After a lot of years I find that a discretionary trust fund may solve a problem with asset protection being the main aim. However, I would like to know how, if possible to transfer ownership of real estate that is owned but mortgaged by a bank.

Pay some $’s and talk to an accountant.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    In a rush, post: 268417, member: 116952 wrote:

I have used a discretionary trust for quite a few years, but not to hold real estate assets directly, but indirectly it does protect assets.

Being a legal entity in it’s own right a couple of things occur to me (as a non accountant or lawyer).

You don’t actually own it if you have a mortgage and your bank might be a bit cranky about transferring ownership.

I reckon you’d have to pay all the on costs like stamp duty to do it.

You might get what you want with just the trust in place.

Paul – FS Concierge
    • Total posts: 3,117

You would probably find better advice on a Property Forum. That is where I read that you would need to pay Stamp Duty on the transfer of ownership.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472
    Paul – FS Concierge, post: 268421, member: 78928 wrote:
    You would probably find better advice on a Property Forum. .

You would most likely get better advise from an accountant who could ask you the 200 questions which are relevant to a situation such as this, based on the info provided there are many uncertainties.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.