Home – New Forums Starting your journey Setting up online fashion business – where do I start

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    AM455
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I am currently exploring a career change and moving into the online fashion retail space however, whilst I have the background to run a business, I have no idea where to start first.

Would love to speak to someone who has started the same business from scratch as I have a number of questions relating to buying stock from wholesalers, postage/packaging, website, payments/refunds etc

Thanks in advance

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo. It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting.

Hopefully some helpful members will be along soon with some advice to point you in the right direction.

Cheers
    Paul

remainderman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Not sure if this is answer you want but most state governments have web site where you can get information how to start a business.

I think the fashion market is highly competitive and unless you have something that is either unusual or new or different you may be lost in the market place.

Payments can be done on the website and are quite simple. A bit more difficult is getting your bank linked to your web site and your bank might have an e commerce department that can assist you.

The principle elements are the same:
    Registered Business Name.
    Bank account linked to above and facilities to accept credit cards.
    Web site & social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
    You should have a blog linked to your website.
    Software to operate your business and an accounting system to do your books.
    Only register for GST if you think your sales will be greater than $80,000 this financial year (ends June 30th 2022).
    Mobile phone with internet banking and Google email loaded.
    Location for business -separate room in private residence or another location.
    Business Plan. (Plan your business work your plan).
    Join network groups, local and state run marketing meetings.

Not in fashion but 40 years in Marketing and selling to retailers.

Best wishes

Rick

SoulMother
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Retail, particularly fashion, is highly competitive and its easy to get lost in the marketplace, especially online. You are better off with a niche market so you can focus your marketing to that market rather than just trying a bit of this and a bit of that.

To get a website going you can use WordPress with Woocommerce or Shopify. You can find lots of resources online for both of these to help you get started. Getting a website up and running is actually the easy part once you have watched a few ‘how to’ videos. One thing you will need to learn about is search engine optimisation or your website will just get lost out there in the web world.

As for finding suppliers – its not that difficult to find them. If you know brands you will want to stock, do a search for the wholesaler online and you will find them in no time. Some have minimum amounts you need to purchase but many will allow small orders as well which is helpful when you get started. Just ask the wholesaler to send you their info pack/terms & conditions/retailer contract so you can read through the info you need to know about reselling their products. Keep a spreadsheet of the suppliers you like and records of when you have contacted them and the products they sell as this will be easier for you to keep track of them – you may not want to purchase from some straight away but you still have all their details ready.

Things like postage and packing are decisions that you will make depending on the stock you sell. If its lightweight, you might offer a flat postage rate, which can encourage customers to purchase more in the same parcel. If its bulky, then you will have to do more sums on the most cost effective way to ship things. You can get accounts with various couriers but often you need high volumes to access discounted shipping deals but do look around and find the best deal for you.

One tip that I always give people when setting up is, when you register your business name, always, always, always buy the domain name at the same time. Don’t wait an hour or a day. Have two windows open and do them at the same time. There are these vultures out there who track new business name registrations with ASIC and then they try and buy the domain before you if you are too slow. Then they try to sell it to you a much inflated price. So get in first.

I hope some of that helps! I wish you the best with getting started.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Great post above ^^^ @soulmother

Thank you for posting.

Cheers
    Paul

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    Up

Great post also, @remainderman.

Thanks again for posting.

Cheers
    Paul

danielle.miller
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

I have experience running my own online business! I am very busy! In short, you have a lot to learn: step 1 understand who you are selling and what you are selling step 2 competitor analysis step 3 creating your unique selling proposition otherwise you will find yourself in very tough competition and 99% go broke! I wish you success!

I like fix browser issue! How to fix browser is very interest themes! My passion is browser problem and solved it!
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.