• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    ::

Hi all! I’m Shakey (though a little less so for having discovered this forum!). I work full-time in Sydney, but the idea of selling my handmade toys for a living is keeping me up at night so much that I am looking at seriously going there. I’ve designed a particular toy, one that seems quite distinctive and unique (I’ve searched the design database and I think it’s got a chance, anyway) My plan is essentially to begin by making a bunch of these toys at home, then try selling them in the local area at first. Maybe get a couple in shop windows as demo models, point them to a basic website, few well-placed ads etc…. anyhoo, before any of that, I am cloudy as to what I need to do in terms of basic admin. Am I correct in thinking the basic running order would be :
    > register the design to protect it (its a basic soft toy, nothing patent-worthy)
    > trademark the name of the toy (have checked, seems in the clear)
    > register domain name to set up the website
    > then what? Do I HAVE to get an ABN or register a business name or a trading/company name before I’m even allowed to sell one? I just want to sell a few to see how well they float, in the first instance…? I don’t even know if me sitting at home on a sewing machine surrounded by wadding actually constitutes a “business”! Any guidance much appreciated – all a bit overwhelming!

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Shakey,

You need an abn to trade, also need an abn to register a .com.au or .net.au domain
    Get your abn first, also if you register for gst you will be able to claim back the gst credits on all your business expenses.

Steve

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks so much for getting back to me Steve, will sort out an ABN. So once my design is registered, the name is trademarked and I have an ABN, I’m good to trade?

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi shakey,

You will be able to trade as soon as you get your abn, even without the trademark.

Steve

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.