Home – New Forums Get productive Share my experiences to help others

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #986946
    rmck
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    My background is technically in design, but as many long-term self-employed people will tell you, your core skill accounts for only a fraction of the various skills you are forced to learn throughout your career to remain employable, and in my case this includes a lot of web design, web development and trail and error with many different CMS systems, ecommerce platforms, email marketing systems, social media channels and search optimisation techniques.

    I was raised to be brutally honest and I know for a fact that this ingrained approach, when stacked up against offers from others that are mostly too good to be true, has cost me many clients over the years that I could have helped, and in some cases saved them a lot of heartache, frustration and money.

    There seems to be little space for ethics in business these days (especially in the online space), and you need only to look at the reported behaviour of businesses like [business name removed] to realise that this is an unfortunate reality.

    So what does this have to do with “What I’ll do…”?

    Well, what I will do is what I’ve always done, shoot myself in the foot and continue to recommend solutions to businesses that I think best fit their needs, irrespective of the fact that I may make very little to no money from it.

    That is what I’ll do.

    Oh… and finish off that damn mobile app that I’ve been working on for 18 months :)

    #1160322
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Ryan,

    Finished the App yet?? LOL..

    Must say, the honesty of your post is great… I am sure that ethics still does exist (as you demonstrate) although it does get tarnished quite quickly with those that are not.. and unfortunately everyone in that said industry (whatever it is) is painted the same way.. hope that makes sense?

    Re your approach to clients being honest, awesome.. i love straight shooters and would stick with an honest Joe above a sycophant any day of the week.. A little abrasive sales approach to make me rethink my own thoughts, is always good – as long as i can see the other persons point of view to make a complete and sound decision ;)… At this point, always remember, that even if you are honest there will always be a time and a place that you may need to make your recommendation and then leave the decision to the client to sign off.. If they opt for you to role out another solution over and above your initial advice, so be it, just roll with the pay cheques and see where the journey takes you.. Don’t be complicit, dont sell yourself out, just know in your soul that you offered and recommended the best advice and they opted against it – for whatever reason they had….

    Really look forward to seeing more of your posts, seen a couple today, and the input and experience you are about to share.. Oops, and you app of course.

    Take care mate, see you around.

    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1160323
    Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up
    0
    ::
    SimplyReplica, post: 185078 wrote:
    Hi Ryan,

    Finished the App yet?? LOL..

    Must say, the honesty of your post is great… I am sure that ethics still does exist (as you demonstrate) although it does get tarnished quite quickly with those that are not.. and unfortunately everyone in that said industry (whatever it is) is painted the same way.. hope that makes sense?

    Re your approach to clients being honest, awesome.. i love straight shooters and would stick with an honest Joe above a sycophant any day of the week.. A little abrasive sales approach to make me rethink my own thoughts, is always good – as long as i can see the other persons point of view to make a complete and sound decision ;)… At this point, always remember, that even if you are honest there will always be a time and a place that you may need to make your recommendation and then leave the decision to the client to sign off.. If they opt for you to role out another solution over and above your initial advice, so be it, just roll with the pay cheques and see where the journey takes you.. Don’t be complicit, dont sell yourself out, just know in your soul that you offered and recommended the best advice and they opted against it – for whatever reason they had….

    Really look forward to seeing more of your posts, seen a couple today, and the input and experience you are about to share.. Oops, and you app of course.

    Take care mate, see you around.

    Jason

    Honesty is the BEST policy.
    You may win some and loose some, those you loose where not meant for you anyway. However those you win you will have for life, and friendships develop and business is expanded and you will always sleep at night.

    Honesty is refreshing as there are many who are not.
    There is only one of each of us, so be true to yourself as honesty will always win

    #1160324
    rmck
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thanks for the reply Jason, it means a lot.

    It used to bother me to see a client fall victim to what I considered a second rate solution that was simply sold better, and I think that was influenced by the challenges of finding work at the time.

    No doubt, I am my own worst enemy, and in an attempt to be completely transparent, I would often completely overwhelming the client with technical explanations to justify the recommendation I was making. I wasn’t the best at sensing a clients level of confusion :)

    I’m at a point in my career now where I’ve decided to commit to regular contracts and the need to supplement my income through new client work has been greatly reduced.

    I can’t explain why, but I could not get up each day without at least attempting to be honest.

    Cheers,

    Ryan

    #1160325
    LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    0
    ::
    rmck, post: 185082 wrote:
    I can’t explain why, but I could not get up each day without at least attempting to be honest.

    Its called integrity mate, and its a beautiful thing to see as it is few and far between.. Personally, i have removed myself from many a negotiation or tender due to this approach.. my honesty overwhelmed the client, and even though they sought an inferior product or service that would cost them in the long run, the wind was exhausted out of my sail and i could not travel any further.. thus, have done as you, and stepped aside at the detriment of $$$, but i could sleep, i could be comfortable in myself and knew i was not going to have a client return to me with problems on a solution or product i was opposed to in the first instance..

    So, no truer word is spoken that ‘i agree’ whole heartedly with you.. AND Burgo, some clients were never meant to be :)

    Cheers
    Jason

    Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    #1160326
    rmck
    Member
    • Total posts: 35
    Up
    0
    ::
    Burgo, post: 185080 wrote:
    Honesty is the BEST policy.
    You may win some and loose some, those you loose where not meant for you anyway. However those you win you will have for life, and friendships develop and business is expanded and you will always sleep at night.

    Honesty is refreshing as there are many who are not.
    There is only one of each of us, so be true to yourself as honesty will always win

    Hi Patrick,

    I agree honesty is the best policy (I wouldn’t know any different), and it is what I also look for when the role is reversed.

    Unfortunately though there are many who make a lot of money being dishonest, which disappointingly detracts from the idea that honesty is always the best policy.

    Sounds like you and I have similar ethics though and that is great to know.

    Cheers,

    Ryan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.