Home – New Forums Find the help you need Sharing container room to import goods from China

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    von
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi,

I’m not too sure whether this post belongs in this part of the forum. But I have sourced some bamboo soap holders from Guang Zhou and I can’t seem to find a courier company who will ship it for less than it is worth! The items cost me approx $100, but shipping is a whopping $300, even EMS is quoting around $280. I’m in no rush to have these, so I don’t need the express option. But the Chinese do not trust their Government mailing service very well.

How do I go about sharing container space with someone shipping from Guang Zhou? Anyone in Perth importing from China? :)

Has anyone done this before? Sharing container space?

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi,

Try these guys whom have been in the logistics business in China since 1999.

If they cannot give you help, ask them if they know someone who can help.

Ask for ‘Nick’ at:

Great Int’l Logistics Co., Limited.

http://www.wdlyfreight.com

There is an ENGLISH translation button on the top right hand corner of the home page.

I helped on Melbourne based client do something similar to what you are proposing in 2010 and he did very well out of it.

Thanks.

Steven Thomas CPA

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Just clearing it via Sea will cost you around $400, so take the airfreight option.

Being bamboo, it’s highly likely they will make you fumigate (more $$) and AQIS paperwork (more $$).

von
    Up
    steve201, post: 119235 wrote:
    Hi,

Try these guys whom have been in the logistics business in China since 1999.

If they cannot give you help, ask them if they know someone who can help.

Ask for ‘Nick’ at:

Great Int’l Logistics Co., Limited.

http://www.wdlyfreight.com

There is an ENGLISH translation button on the top right hand corner of the home page.

I helped on Melbourne based client do something similar to what you are proposing in 2010 and he did very well out of it.

Thanks.

Steven Thomas CPA

Hi Steven,

Thanks so much for the tip! I didn’t know where to start. I will check Great Int’l Logistics Co., Limited and see what they can do for me.

Cheers,
    E-von :)

von
    Up
    flower-child, post: 119276 wrote:
    Just clearing it via Sea will cost you around $400, so take the airfreight option.

Being bamboo, it’s highly likely they will make you fumigate (more $$) and AQIS paperwork (more $$).

Hi Flower-Child.
    I didn’t think about the fumigation process. Or checking with AQIS, thanks for that. Will have to do more research on this whole importing process :)
    Thanks for your advice!

Thanks,
    E-von

steve201
    Participant
    • Total posts: 280
    Up

Hi E-von,

It can be a bit daunting as a client of mine once found because of a whole variety of reasons.

Please let me know how you go , because I the last client I helped out with China related logistics did very well.

All the best.

Steven

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hey Von

nice post..

sharing containers can also be a pain with paperwork, fumigation, Bill of Lading etc etc etc… Yes it would be cheaper to share, although if you find someone bringing a container in they tend to use the whole container to make it worthwhile as well..

What was the CBM of the parcel?

As flower-child (hi flower) has mentioned the clearing process can be expensive for your item, also the fumigation if the container isnt already being fumigated and the likes…. may still be a better option to fly it in… less paperwork, lodgement fees etc…

if you want to chat to someone in logistics who can point you in the right direction you can contact CAT- at CAT-GLC who is a member here.. She has always had great input and nice posts.. her profile is here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/members/cat-glc.html

Good luck, keep us advised..

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

I can vouch for Cat as well. She’s bringing in my first shipment for me (LCL) and communication has been great.

Wendy :)

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

Shucks 😮

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Cat :)

von
    Up
    HarryLuke, post: 119401 wrote:
    Hey Von

nice post..

sharing containers can also be a pain with paperwork, fumigation, Bill of Lading etc etc etc… Yes it would be cheaper to share, although if you find someone bringing a container in they tend to use the whole container to make it worthwhile as well..

What was the CBM of the parcel?

As flower-child (hi flower) has mentioned the clearing process can be expensive for your item, also the fumigation if the container isnt already being fumigated and the likes…. may still be a better option to fly it in… less paperwork, lodgement fees etc…

if you want to chat to someone in logistics who can point you in the right direction you can contact CAT- at CAT-GLC who is a member here.. She has always had great input and nice posts.. her profile is here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/members/cat-glc.html

Good luck, keep us advised..

Jason

Thanks Jason for referring me to Cat, I will get in touch with her.

I have looked into express air mail and I think they originally quoted me $300, it has now been brought down to USD$210. I’m still thinking there must be a cheaper way! Plus it would make it so much easier to avoid fumigation costs of the container itself!

And forgive me for my ‘newbieness’ but what does ‘CBM’ stand for?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    von, post: 119592 wrote:
    And forgive me for my ‘newbieness’ but what does ‘CBM’ stand for?

Never apologise for noobness… speak to Cat.. LOL.. it is simply Cubic Metre (how you asses what can go into a container etc)

20ft = approx 28cbm
    40ft = approx 58cbm
    40ft High Cube = approx 68cbm

Cat will be more specific, but these are the figures i calculate to fill a container from Guangzhou….

Keep posting, i learnt so much in the first few months of my business and it was like learning a completely new language when it came to shipping.. OMG it blew my head off,,, unfortunately i did not have access to a resource (one i would have happily paid for with Cats services) and had to learn all this on my own – well that may have been stated wrongly.. What i meant, i was not a member of FS (flying solo) and had no contacts in freight to draw upon… therefore, was self reliant at the start.

Keep on asking.. we’ll all help if we can…

Cheers
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

CBM – the volume in cubic metres :)

Took me forever to learn all the language…LCL CBM FOB blah, blah,blah ;)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Couple It, post: 119600 wrote:
    CBM – the volume in cubic metres :)

Took me forever to learn all the language…LCL CBM FOB blah, blah,blah ;)

i may have to call on you to borrow your acronym book Wendy… :D

Jason

Cat – GLC
    • Total posts: 440
    Up

I have books on all the acronyms.

Funny thing is just as you think you have a hold on them they decide to go and change some of them.

Maybe I should just start posting an acronym a week on here for everyone.

Cat :)

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

My old life involved telecommunications, and gee… i thought that was full of acronyms.. by golly, freight is 10 times worse… :D

And, not only 10 times worse…. full of more mobsters than the mafia! 😮

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.