Home – New Forums Starting your journey Shaving is very Sticky!!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sansamad
    • Total posts: 122
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone,

Happy Coffee time!!!

Shortly to import a range from Europe….via Airfreight and want to have it FCA but the supplier is requesting exWorks terms. What could be the implications of this for me??

I should be negotiating for FCA shouldn’t I??

Any help from seasoned Flying Solo members is most appreciated. :)

Cheers,

Sandra

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Sandra,

Exworks means the manufacturer produces the goods and has them ready for pickup only.
    FCA can be variable as to where the responsibility for the cargo changes from seller to buyer.

Remember the manufacturer isnt really a transport company, if you arrange terms where they are organising your freight and insurance and something goes wrong (after you have paid for the goods) what chance do you have to get them to make claims on insurance / chase freight companies etc.

Myself I’ve always operated exw when I wasnt completely confident in the seller or cif when I was – usually with us or western eu manufacturers.

IMO take the exw terms and get a local freight agent to organise the goods delivered to your door.

i would call Cat from here on the forum. Shes got a good rep.
    her details here

Steve

sansamad
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 151635 wrote:
    Hi Sandra,

Exworks means the manufacturer produces the goods and has them ready for pickup only.
    FCA can be variable as to where the responsibility for the cargo changes from seller to buyer.

Remember the manufacturer isnt really a transport company, if you arrange terms where they are organising your freight and insurance and something goes wrong (after you have paid for the goods) what chance do you have to get them to make claims on insurance / chase freight companies etc.

Myself I’ve always operated exw when I wasnt completely confident in the seller or cif when I was – usually with us or western eu manufacturers.

IMO take the exw terms and get a local freight agent to organise the goods delivered to your door.

i would call Cat from here on the forum. Shes got a good rep.
    her details here

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you for clarifying those incoterms and pointing out some great points to consider. I had been thinking that it would be preferable to have it FCA Lisbon (goods coming from there) so that it would be the seller’s responsibility to have it ready for export and that would be advantageous. Then I assume responsibility for the cargo on the plane (air) and have it import compliant. Any further thoughts??

Yes I confer with you that Cat knows her stuff :)

Cheers,

Sandra :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up
    sansamad, post: 152195 wrote:
    I had been thinking that it would be preferable to have it FCA Lisbon (goods coming from there) so that it would be the seller’s responsibility to have it ready for export and that would be advantageous. Then I assume responsibility for the cargo on the plane (air) and have it import compliant. Any further thoughts??

Hi Sandra,

Just be sure that when they get it ready for export that it meets Australian import requirements. Delays in Australian ports get expensive.

Steve

sansamad
    Up
    Divert To Mobile, post: 152219 wrote:
    Hi Sandra,

Just be sure that when they get it ready for export that it meets Australian import requirements. Delays in Australian ports get expensive.

Steve

Hi Steve,

A very valid point!!! Thank you.

Sandra

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.