Home – New Forums Starting your journey Shipment to New Zealand from Australia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SeanD
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi Guys

I am planning to start an Import and Wholesale business in Australia.
    Initially , I am planning to set up Warehouse in Australia.
    I am considering shipping to New Zealand but looks like it will be quite an expensive preposition.

People have advised me to set up something in New Zealand itself .
    I’m not sure being an Australian resident , I am allowed to start a business in New Zealand and what steps should I take.
    Alternatively , is there a channel that I may be able to explore to save on shipping to New Zealand .

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

If the goods are to be heavy and you will be moving reasonable volume it would make sense to ship direct to the customer in New Zealand from your supplier or via an intermediary warehousing operator in New Zealand.

SeanD
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 209700 wrote:
    If the goods are to be heavy and you will be moving reasonable volume it would make sense to ship direct to the customer in New Zealand from your supplier or via an intermediary warehousing operator in New Zealand.

Thanks .
    This is the problem.To begin with , I am not expecting huge orders from New Zealand so setting up a direct warehouse won’t be possible and asking my supplier to send a carton to New Zealand will be really expensive as the supplier is sitting in India.

The other thing is , even if I wish to set up a warehouse in New Zealand ,can I actually do that being an Australian (and not having NZ equivalent of ABN)

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641
    Up

There is no law preventing you from setting up operations in New Zealand. You can tie it back to your Australian entity.

If you send from Australia first then you need to calculate if you price point will still be attractive with shipping. If not, a warehousing contractor there could receive your goods and ship in custom lots out as required.

SeanD
    Up
    arrowwise, post: 209703 wrote:
    There is no law preventing you from setting up operations in New Zealand. You can tie it back to your Australian entity.

If you send from Australia first then you need to calculate if you price point will still be attractive with shipping. If not, a warehousing contractor there could receive your goods and ship in custom lots out as required.

Thank you.
    Any pointers on how I can go about ‘You can tie it back to your Australian entity’ , may be a webpage or something to help me understand how I can do this bit.

MikeDav
    • Total posts: 163
    Up

Why not look for a storage and pick and pack facility in NZ. They can store your stock within their warehouse and then fulfill it when you make sales. This would be an easier and cheaper option than setting up over there.

affgar
    • Total posts: 123
    Up

Maybe you could look at the idea of having a representative or franchisee like operator in NZ? They could help secure deals & trade with customers & get rewarded for doing so … So you would not be paying a wage or increasing your cash burn.

Then you can ship the goods straight to customer or to that contractor/franchisee.
    As things grow you could work with that person to setup a warehouse or storage facility?

If it doesn’t grow, then you have lost nothing.

Good luck .. just a few ideas.
    Shipping is expensive …

Petemac
    • Total posts: 171
    Up

Hi Sean, I would look at doing the research on the market in NZ for your product and testing it with small shipments and then based on that look further into the warehhousing and distribution within NZ if this proves successfull.

I have a number of clients shipping to NZ as it is quite cost effective but this does depend on dimensions, weights, etc.

If you feel like having a chat to work out options feel free to give me a call on 0418 698 626 as always easier to talk through options.

Cheers

Pete

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.