Home – New Forums Logistics Shipping broker abandoning freight – expert needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gobats18
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi, I have a bit of a strange question that I’ve been struggling to get help with.

I have been in an argument with my shipping broker regarding a huge unaccepted increase in shipping costs on a previous shipment and, at this stage, have not come to a settlement. Prior to this argument commencing, a further shipment began its journey to Aus and the broker has been threatening to abandon the shipment unless I pay, in full, the previous shipments invoice. I am not willing to do this as we had a verbal pricing agreement.

Leaving aside the argument at hand, can someone please help me in figuring out what I can do about my incoming shipment. My broker obviously booked the shipment on to the boat, but does that mean they have control of my freight and can simply abandon it and I’ll end up having to pay huge storage fees on my freight? Would my broker have already paid the shipping company or does the shipping company get paid on arrival? If they get paid on arrival, is it my existing broker that must make that payment or can another broker step in and take over the shipment? If my broker is committed to paying the freight I imagine I can use this as leverage to negotiate back to our original agreed pricing this is why I ask.

Any help is much appreciated!

Warehousing Fulfillment
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Hi Gobats18 sorry to hear about this ordeal. Someone else can take over the shipment no drama as long as you have the right documents such as packing list & commercial invoice another broker can take over. Can i ask where you shipment in coming from? there has been some major fluctuations also increased port fees in australia.

gobats18
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Niki, I have the commercial invoice and packing list from my supplier but I dont have any shipping documents as such as the shipment was arranged EXW from my supplier.

If I can get the shipping documents from somewhere (maybe my supplier) then another broker can run with the shipment? What if I cant get the shipping documents and my broker just abandons the shipment at the wharf?

Shipment is coming in from New York

Warehousing Fulfillment
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Hi Gobats i can help you with this, we can certainly get this fixed up don’t worry! flick me an email [email protected] so i can check on the shipping company and get some docs. Will have to get you to complete a LOA to act as your broker

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi And Welcome to Flying Solo [USER=105222]@gobats18[/USER] . It is great to have you!

Thank you for joining our community and posting today.

I hope you find or have already found the help you are looking for.

Cheers

tslaustralia
    Participant
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

If the shipping agent had arranged the shipment for you, they are in control, however you might be able to negotiate this with the shipping company or if its LCL the consolidator or the appointed handling warehouse as no one likes to abandon cargo as someone would have to pay to do that, however you would need to find it who they are first and also prove your story. Its a difficult one, and normally if you get another broker or agent involved i would imagine the shipping agent will still try to charge you the fees to release the shipment to the new broker/agent and you may be paying double on some charges such as filing fees etc, the more agents you have involved on a job the more you pay, it would probably be best to have a friendly negotiation with them until you have receive the goods as they have the upper hand. Not knowing exactly what happen is a bit difficult to give you any advice, feel free to drop us an email with details and we’ll be happy to give you some advice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.