Home – New Forums Logistics Shipping packages less than 1kg- what is the best option?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    j.say
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hello,
    I am just starting up an online business that will end up shipping products only across Australia and New Zealand. I was thinking of just bulk buying padded bags from Australia post and then pay the postage depending on the customer’s address. This is probably not the most cost efficient way of doing it, but I don’t really understand how couriers work.

Should I just continue with this, or is there a better option?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

freight is always important as if you don’t get it right, both price and reliability, it can adversely affect you.

On mobile at moment so it’s hard to give links etc, but this topic has been extensively discussed across this forum in many ways and with recommendations… If you do a quick forum search you may find some questions answered already.

All the best

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    j.say
    Up
    HarryLuke Logistics, post: 230550, member: 34537 wrote:
    freight is always important as if you don’t get it right, both price and reliability, it can adversely affect you.

On mobile at moment so it’s hard to give links etc, but this topic has been extensively discussed across this forum in many ways and with recommendations… If you do a quick forum search you may find some questions answered already.

All the best
    Thanks, will look more into previous forums and discussions!

JbytheBay
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

You shouldn’t pay the same price as someone who only use the service once and with Australia Post you’ll be doing exactly that.
    Contact 3 different courier companies (perhaps 2 large and one smaller) and ask them for a quote, give them an estimate of how many shipments you think you may have per month. Go with the cheapest, imo the service is pretty much all the same.
    Courier services are door to door and there’s not much to it, these companies will want your business and if you ask them to walk you through the process I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to do it.

eWAY
    • Total posts: 524
    Up

Hi there,

Also consider the time it takes to fulfill an order. Whoever you use should have an API available that your eCommerce system can connect to for automatically creating consignments and printing labels.

The last thing you want to do is spend 3+ hours every afternoon wrapping and writing on postage labels!

Look at the following for automated fulfillment integration with different carriers.

I built a mostly automated store using Magento, eParcel, LinkSync and a Dymo 4XL printer a few years ago which saved me so much time!

Maclean

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    JbytheBay, post: 230610, member: 77347 wrote:
    You shouldn’t pay the same price as someone who only use the service once and with Australia Post you’ll be doing exactly that.

Not quiet right, if you get your volumes up they do offer discounts.

Also if the parcels actually get under the 500g mark, they are still one of the cheapest around.

El Arish Tropical Exotics
    • Total posts: 227
    Up

My two cents. We send quite a bit through Eparcel and like that it is easy for our customers to access online tracking. Some couriers subcontract out to smaller courier companies or may drop off or have depot pickup in rural or remote areas. I think there is more uniformity in delivery and also in customer expectations when you send via post. It has it’s limitations but it’s cheap and reliable.
    I think Startrack Express is now somehow involved with eparcel so it might be an option to explore how that could work for you as well. It might give you more flexibility.
    Regards, Ann
    PS totally agree with Maclean. After two days of preparing and packing everything I used to spend a stressful anxious hour and a half cutting and pasting customer info into my consignment labels. Life is so much easier now that it’s all integrated!!

JadeHindwood
    Up

Hey j,

I recently forwarded a small parcel to NZ with mbe and the process went very smoothly despite my nerves. I went to their local centre but you can try getting quotes onlinehere.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.