Home – New Forums Tech talk Shopify and Australia Post

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Henge Design
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

We’re thinking of using Shopify for an Australian client wanting to sell merchandise globally. Just wondering if anyone knows how it works with Australia Post. I can see an app in the Shopify App Store which streamlines shipping when dealing with UPS or USPS in the States, but how does it work when your business is in Australia?

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Henge Design, post: 128640 wrote:
    We’re thinking of using Shopify for an Australian client wanting to sell merchandise globally. Just wondering if anyone knows how it works with Australia Post. I can see an app in the Shopify App Store which streamlines shipping when dealing with UPS or USPS in the States, but how does it work when your business is in Australia?It wont work unless you are shipping with UPS or Fedex, both of which are international companies and ship world wide.

Shopify has no app or in built functions to use the Australia post API to calculate postage price.

I am surprised that none has developed an app for that purpose yet.

You will need to set it up manually. Remember that setting postage is one of the must frustrating things in eCommerce. Even with a postage calculator the postage is not always accurate.

Personally, I think that the best shipping method is free and then building the shipping costs into the products,

Spiffy Brian
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    Henge Design, post: 128640 wrote:
    We’re thinking of using Shopify for an Australian client wanting to sell merchandise globally. Just wondering if anyone knows how it works with Australia Post. I can see an app in the Shopify App Store which streamlines shipping when dealing with UPS or USPS in the States, but how does it work when your business is in Australia?

There are other options that will give you pretty much the same functionality plus heaps of support for Australian conditions.

For example – http://www.spiffystores.com/blog/2011/10/28/new-shipping-rate-options-for-australia-post-rate-calculator/

Remember too, if you’re an Australian company registered for GST, then if you signup with an Australian-based service you’ll be getting back the GST which makes it even cheaper than comparable foreign services.

Brian

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

The awesome thing about Shopify from a design point of view is that it’s 100% customisable.

I can build a theme and not have to worry about fitting it into the eCommerce back end.

How is your system at that?

Spiffy Brian
    • Total posts: 25
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 128968 wrote:
    The awesome thing about Shopify from a design point of view is that it’s 100% customisable.

I can build a theme and not have to worry about fitting it into the eCommerce back end.

How is your system at that?

I think you’ll find our theme customization equally impressive. We try to make the design process as easy as possible. For example, we recently introduced a WebDAV interface for theme editing that allows you to directly edit your site’s theme using your favourite editing tools. This totally eliminates the need to upload themes. Just edit locally and the update gets sent to the server automatically.

http://www.spiffystores.com/blog/2012/06/28/easy-theme-editing-for-web-designers-using-webdav/

Brian

JacobDorman
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Spiffystores looks like a decent option as a Australian shopify clone. Australian shipping calculations are totally missing from Shopify, and look well supported in spiffy.

Are there apps or integration options with spiffy? Specifically xero and vend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.