Home – New Forums Selling online Shopify Taxes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    DM_64
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    Question about GST. I sell to Australia and NZ only on my Shopify store.
    I wish to show Australian GST inclusive prices on my pages but delete the GST for NZ customers at checkout.
    I cannot seem to make this work.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Darrel.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

I have been wondering the same. It must be able to be done as things sold in the US need different taxes for different states.
    So I went to the shopify help and found that there are a few things there.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/taxes/non-usa-tax-settings

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/taxes

DM_64
    Up

Thanks Rowan, yes I read those ones too but advice does not achieve what we need here. Very frustrating!
    Appreciate your reply.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up

Hi Darrel

I have been in your shoes before and paid around $400 to get it customised

Currently, Shopify only can only display tax exclusive figure and ADD tax on top of it depends on the location

So, in short, within Australia there will be GST Exclusive figure and GST Inclusive figure will be added in when checking out

International order will pay per “display pricing”

Your requirement is doable but when there is a theme update, it may cost you to carry that update with you to the new theme

You can make customer aware by display a banner (stuck on all pages until they close it) “all prices are GST exclusive”. I am doing it and have no issue with that at all

However if you insist have a look at a large popular handbag brand
    https://www.colettehayman.com.au/pages/international-orders

You can see they declare International Order is exempt to GST, you can email them to see how they return that 10% to their customer if the order is placed oversea

I tried a dummy order and it still charged GST inclusive price

DM_64
    Up

Thanks Trent, appreciate your reply.
    Very frustrating, but I guess we are a small market in Shopify’s eyes.

Spiffy Brian
    • Total posts: 25
    Up

Hi Darrel,

Shopify have always been lax in supporting any tax regime other than the US ever since they started. It took them almost 10 years to even consider any GST support, and this was once of the reasons that we started Spiffy Stores many years ago to provide a proper solution for Australian businesses so that tax and other issues are always done right for the local environment.

Spiffy Stores does everything you are asking for out of the box as standard, because we want to provide the easiest solution for Australian and New Zealand merchants.

Trent Tran
    Participant
    • Total posts: 166
    Up
    Spiffy Brian, post: 265985, member: 5993 wrote:
    Hi Darrel,

Shopify have always been lax in supporting any tax regime other than the US ever since they started. It took them almost 10 years to even consider any GST support, and this was once of the reasons that we started Spiffy Stores many years ago to provide a proper solution for Australian businesses so that tax and other issues are always done right for the local environment.

Spiffy Stores does everything you are asking for out of the box as standard, because we want to provide the easiest solution for Australian and New Zealand merchants.

Hi Brian

Just to confirm, the display price is GST inclusive and when there is an International order, the GST will be subtracted at checkout automatically?

Spiffy Brian
    Up

Hi Trent,

Yes, that’s exactly what we do.

All prices are displayed as GST inclusive on the site and on all order emails.

If an order is shipped to anywhere other than Australia, then the GST included in the price is shown as deducted in the order.

You also have the option of whether you want to charge taxes on domestic or export shipping rates separately. Normally for Australia, we charge GST on domestic shipping, but export shipping is tax free.

Cheers,
    Brian

Trent Tran, post: 265986, member: 66994 wrote:
    Hi Brian

Just to confirm, the display price is GST inclusive and when there is an International order, the GST will be subtracted at checkout automatically?

Spiffy Brian
    Up

Oh, and I forgot to mention that you can also configure any product as tax free, to handle those products which don’t attract GST.

DM_64
    Up
    Spiffy Brian, post: 265985, member: 5993 wrote:
    Hi Darrel,

Thanks Brian, will have a look into it.
    Cheers

Spiffy Brian
    Up

Another thing I forgot to mention is that you miss out on a lot of essential features with Shopify, as it’s not built to support Australian-based merchants.

We build in a lot of local support into Spiffy Stores, and we’ve been doing it for so long now, that I sometimes forget some of the stuff that we have.

Here’s an important one. We have support for credit card surcharge fees built into the system. This means that when you add your credit card payment gateway, you choose what cards you support and what the surcharge rate is for each card.

When the customer chooses to pay by credit card in the checkout, they are shown the various surcharges, and then the extra amount is automatically added to the order.

This is really important for businesses operating on low margins. It allows you to offset the costs of credit card support directly without having to increase your prices generally. So you can now advertise a slightly lower price for your goods, which then gives you a better competitive position.

You don’t have this option using Shopify.

Cheers,
    Brian

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.