Home – New Forums Selling online ShopLocket vs WooCommerce

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    earthseacreative
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’m using ShopLocket at the moment for an eCommerce section on my website which sells ebooks.

I chose ShopLocket because I love the overlay interface, ability to brand my products and digital delivery.

My products are free at present so I’m not being charged ShopLocket (2.5% per transaction) or PayPal (2.4% + 30c per transaction) fees.

However in the future this will change as my products will attract a price. I’m fundraising for a philanthropic project with 100% of the funds raised going to the project.

My question is three-fold.

1. When fundraising, is it perfectly acceptable to deduct the transaction fees from the monies received and pass on the balance to the recipient of the project? The item for sale will be $5.00, less fees. Should I increase the base price to account for fees?
    2. Is WooCommerce a free ecommerce plugin? i.e. one that doesn’t charge transaction fees?
    3. Has anyone had experience with both ShopLocket and WooCoomerce and can offer advice?

Thanks in advance :)

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    earthseacreative, post: 185784 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I’m using ShopLocket at the moment for an eCommerce section on my website which sells ebooks.

I chose ShopLocket because I love the overlay interface, ability to brand my products and digital delivery.

My products are free at present so I’m not being charged ShopLocket (2.5% per transaction) or PayPal (2.4% + 30c per transaction) fees.

However in the future this will change as my products will attract a price. I’m fundraising for a philanthropic project with 100% of the funds raised going to the project.

My question is three-fold.

1. When fundraising, is it perfectly acceptable to deduct the transaction fees from the monies received and pass on the balance to the recipient of the project? The item for sale will be $5.00, less fees. Should I increase the base price to account for fees?
    2. Is WooCommerce a free ecommerce plugin? i.e. one that doesn’t charge transaction fees?
    3. Has anyone had experience with both ShopLocket and WooCoomerce and can offer advice?

Thanks in advance :)

Howdy,

I have never used ShopDocket, so can help there.

I have used WooCommerce at lot, and it doesn’t take a cut of the products you sell. It also has digital downloads for eBooks etc.

Cheers,

Matt

earthseacreative
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your comments! I can always count on a speedy response from you :)

Cheers
    M

perthchampagneclub.com
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Have you looked at BigCommerce? I looked at a lot of ecommorce sites when setting up my store at BC was the best in every category (imho). You also don’t pay transaction fees…

John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up

WooCommerce is just an ecommerce plugin that works with WordPress. There are no fees involved with using it – apart of course the development/implementation costs.

If you’re using Paypal and intend on doing a fundraiser, be warned that you must seek approval from all organizations involved before you start accepting donations/payments.

Otherwise, expect your Paypal account to be frozen.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up
    perthchampagneclub.com, post: 185915 wrote:
    You also don’t pay transaction fees…
    Maybe I should revisit bigcommerce because last time I looked the basic plan $35 per month there was a 2% transaction fee? The medium plans (around $80) and other bigger plans had 0% fees.

We use WordPress with woo with no real issues, although some upgrades need to be monitored closely just in case – so backups are your buddy :)

Personally I also like having my own server/site that I am ultimately responsible for… Although this can be a little short sited feeling scared that someone else having my site ‘may’ fall over, it’s just how I am.

All the best, listen to what everyone says and assess based on your own personal expectations.. That’s my advice.. I spent 12 months looking over many options and deploying many test sites, and not being a designer or developer this was no small feat! But am ultimately happy with the ease of my final choice :)

Cheers and keep us updated .

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    perthchampagneclub.com
    Up

BigCommerce definitely don’t have any transaction fees whatsoever, maybe you were thinking of Shopify?

Hatching_It
    • Total posts: 414
    Up
    perthchampagneclub.com, post: 185958 wrote:
    BigCommerce definitely don’t have any transaction fees whatsoever, maybe you were thinking of Shopify?

Starter pan definitely has a 2% transaction fee.

See the ‘features’ of the starter plan here – http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/2

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    Hatching_It, post: 185968 wrote:
    Starter pan definitely has a 2% transaction fee.

See the ‘features’ of the starter plan here – http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/2

Yeah sorry folks, i was off site and not checking the sites out.. Definitely was not thinking it was Shopify as i KNOW they have fees.. Was thinking BigCommerce, and as Maclean diligently pointed out, there is a 2% transaction fee for entry level.. This can be a hard pill to swallow for some start ups..

Hope all is well Maclean with your growth objectives?

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    perthchampagneclub.com
    Up

Apologies, I stand corrected – I’ve been on Gold since day 1 and assumed (incorrectly!) that the basic terms were the same :)

iWebDev
    • Total posts: 23
    Up

You can also use http://www.paywithatweet.com/ to help spread the word.

Thanks

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Actually the page that Hatching_IT linked to seems to be part of an A/B split test on pricing

There’s two pricing pages and they have different transaction fees. One has no transaction fees!

http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/2
    http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/1

note: editted after finding out the second link was wrong. See below posts.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up
    JohnTranter, post: 185976 wrote:
    Actually the page that Hatching_IT linked to seems to be part of an A/B split test on pricing

There’s two pricing pages and they have different transaction fees. One has no transaction fees!

http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/2
    http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/

Hey John

Hope you are well mate.. i cant seem to get to the second URL.. it appears it is being forwarded to the first URL? or am i just needing to undertake some additional IT training? LOL

Jason

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    SimplyReplica, post: 185983 wrote:
    Hey John

Hope you are well mate.. i cant seem to get to the second URL.. it appears it is being forwarded to the first URL? or am i just needing to undertake some additional IT training? LOL

Jason

Doh, I guess you in the ‘A’ group whilst I’m in the ‘B’ group.

does one of these work?

http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/1
    http://www.bigcommerce.com/pricing/3

I’ve attached a screenshot of what I see, notice the slightly different pricing and no transaction fees.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    Up

LOL, sorry mate i didnt realise they could segment that way via past visits i guess.. funny..

Yeah the first link worked a treat, what a difference in structure.. oh boy… i reckon the ZERO TRANSACTION fee would get a few people.. which is great.. i might have to have a squiz and set up a demo site to have a play :)

Thanks for highlighting this John

Jason

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.