Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Shopper Docket Advertising

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up
    ::

Has anyone advertised on shopped dockets before?

I had a guy from M(something) call about placing ads on shopping docks in a nearby Woolies. He said that particular woolies does 15000 dockets a week, and I can have an ad on there for $30 a week. But they want you to sign up for 12 months, which is a bit of a commitment.

$30 isn’t a big spend for such a big reach, but really, who reads those vouchers?

Has anyone done this and had success with it?

Cheers,
    Chris

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

No one except my wife…..many years ago we saw a shopper docket ad for a motel in the mountains, so two couples went there for a week end. They advertised an open log fire turn out to be a cosy heater with the door open.
    Dinning room was a classic the ladies dolly them selve up and ever one was in track a dackies and the waiteress came around with a very large tea pot saying SOUP!!!

Honestly was a scream but put us right off shopper dockets.

I have been approached many times but to be honest I would rather put my advertising dollar in the local newpaper at least you get a phone call

Chris Bates
    Up

Thanks for that Burgo, much the same thoughts really, $30 a week could be better spent.

It certainly has a large reach, but 50% of the dockets are to return customers, and only 1% of that 50% actually get glimpsed at. Now a 1-2% return on that 1% of 50% of 15000….

Too hard! *calls the messenger*

Cheers,
    Chris

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

I have used shopadockets (used the offer) however not often. Typically I throw the dockets out.

TBH, there are far better ways to use $30/week…..

bencament
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

We advertised on shopper dockets regularly back when I used to run pizza stores and we used to get a lot of them in.

The down side is, that not many people take much notice of shopper dockets, unless it’s a really really cheap deal that makes them go WOW!

So unless you’re doing a really big, cheap promotion, i’d say steer clear.

onlineiq
    • Total posts: 93
    Up

My sense of people who read the dockets is that they want a bargain ( I could be wrong), and that even if you did get leads this way you’d be getting people who are not prepared to pay much. Just an impression I have.

Ursh

Chris Bates
    Up

Yeah I’m not going to go ahead with it.

The company rang me three days in a row, all different people, trying to hard sell. None of them had any idea I had been contacted previously, so I asked to be removed from their database.

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up

I’m not a marketing person but my observation with advertising is;

a) who’s reading it and do they match your demographic
    b) consistency

People who read shop a dockets are people who go shopping for food. ie, mums, people who don’t get take out frequently, etc…they’re typically not time poor people. Time poor people don’t have money to burn…etc….Are those the kind of people you want to sell to.

Consistency. Most ads have to be seen a whole bunch of times to reach people’s consciousness enough to be acted on. With any advertising plan to do it for a long period and often enough or you are wasting your money….

MCards
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

I personally used the shoping dockets several times, mainly for food :). As other people have pointed out, this advertising model works best for retail shops such as a restaurant or a pizza shop which offer special discounts.

I think if you could negotiate with them to sign up a contract for 3-6 months only, it may be worth a try. At least people will be more aware of your brand even though they don’t need to fix their PCs yet, they will remember you when they need to.

TimG
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hey guys,

Obviously, being a direct competitor I know this will seem one-eyed to some, to the rest of you looking for an affordable and effective alternative, I hope this is received well.

Back in January and February, I did a lot of research before beginning to formalise my concept. “Every Ounce Counts” for those who didn’t catch my intro a while back.

We interviewed over 200 SME owners and many people, including my parents and close friends who had used SAD Advertising, had a negative experience to share. Some on the other hand had great redemptions, though never seemed to cover the investment.

We took a lot of factors into consideration when designing our site;

Affordability – $1 a day
      Flexibility – No contracts just discounts for longer periods
      Measurable ROI – Live statistics
      Environmental Footprint – Print as you go, mobile redemption
      Graphic Design – No design required, live editing + free assistance for the less tech savvy
      Marketing – We market to consumers, they’re already looking for offers, and don’t have to spend money to save money

After considering these factors and adding some design and mobile tech options to the coupon industry – I think we’ve done a pretty good job.

We launched on the 2nd of November and just hit the 10,000 subscriber mark today – looks like the public agrees.

While SAD Advertising has worked for some in the past, bragging about wasting 15,000 sheets of paper a month definitely wont cut it in the future. My personal view is that soon, responsible supermarkets won’t have dockets at all.

Cheers all.

Tim

ResultsVA
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

I’ve never advertised on shopper dockets but do use them personally. As others have mentioned, I mainly use the restaurant vouchers and occasionally the coffee shop ones. I ignore anything that doesn’t have a great deal.

As already mentioned, you need to consider if your offer is reaching out to the correct target market.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.