Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Shopping Web Site Review

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Gavin
    • Total posts: 44
    Up
    ::

Hey other flying soloists thought it was time to ask for a review on my site, for those of you that dont know, this is my first site, 6 months in, With ideas for more on the backburner.

I’m looking for input about visuals and the such colours, layout of the site usability etc. What do you think?

I’ll get there with the content, aiming to finish in Jan and start promoting. I’m targeting a large audience so should be fun…

At the moment I’m working on a Quick Links section and also a subdomain to display items. The Quick Links section will have Discount Codes, Latest and or Featured Shops and A link to the items subdomain, I want to keep the theme consistent between them as well.

Any Suggestions or opinions out there from people who have or do shop online on shopping directories would be highly appreciated.

Merry Xmas Eve!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

The banner is terrible. Same with the background swirl. And ditch those 3d white characters… no one is going to take your site serious with those.

Don’t center align blocks of text. Makes it difficult to read.

When you scroll down and the background goes dark, it feels too heavy. Online shopping should be easy, friendly and enjoyable. You’re invoking all the wrong feelings.

Gavin
    Up

Thanks for your critique Dan greatly appreciated.

I’ve been thinking of changin g the theme you’ve given me a few extra things to think on… I just guess I’ve been having trouble branding the site in my head

But I like the animations… I’m fine changing the theme and text layout for readability but I think the animations add value… any other opinions out there?

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up
    dan, post: 22073 wrote:
    The banner is terrible. Same with the background swirl. And ditch those 3d white characters… no one is going to take your site serious with those.

Don’t center align blocks of text. Makes it difficult to read.

When you scroll down and the background goes dark, it feels too heavy. Online shopping should be easy, friendly and enjoyable. You’re invoking all the wrong feelings.

Hi Gavin,
    I probably would have tried to say it with a bit more tact, but everything Dan says is pretty much what I thought.
    The background swirl is too dark, you want lighter, more professional, maybe a very subtle texture/pattern (very subtle and light coloured).

The body text, shouldnt be centred or bold, lighten that up, make it look professional.

I dont mind the characters personally, but the header needs muchus work :) The heading typeface (blippo/bauhaus?) is horrible. Go for a much cleaner/lighter feel. Colouring generally is good, just kill the heavy stuff.

Great range though, nice work :)

Anonymous
    Up

Yeah i could have sugar coated it… but really…. people don’t get the message if you soften it up.

Gavin
    Up

how can i improve without a blatant response? :) I actually appreciate the honestly, gives me something to work on theme wise, cheers guys… I would have to agree with the critique will play with the theme and stuff for 2010

Anonymous
    Up
    Gavin, post: 22132 wrote:
    how can i improve without a blatant response?

if you got the money, hire a designer. if you don’t, buy a template.

Gavin
    Up

Dan – I would if i could but at present I don’t have the dollars to pay a designer or buy a template. Altho I will probably be looking at someone to design another banner in Jan, I’d rather do everything I can myself before I need to pay someone else to further the site…

My thinking was that there is enough free themes and background pics out there to mix and match, theme wise besides the banner I only want to change the background… I’m just having trouble finding something that suits :)

I’ve been looking at using a vector image like this one

http://www.fotolia.com/id/4768137

for the background but i kinda want the gradient vertical instead of horizontal…

Or maybe a simple light texture that tiles… but I’m having trouble getting this to work…

one1
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

There is too much text for a shopping site and the text should not be bold.

Put some hot deals (using images) on the home page.

Gavin
    Up

Thanks for your input one1…

I’m more than capable of doing basic changes and adding pictures etc… From the feedback I think I’ll do an over haul and start afresh…

On a side note, how much would I expect to pay a designer for a nice banner and background and necessary coding? I haven’t had much luck doing this myself so this will prob have to be outsourced…

Anonymous
    Up
    Gavin, post: 22267 wrote:
    On a side note, how much would I expect to pay a designer for a nice banner and background and necessary coding? I haven’t had much luck doing this myself so this will prob have to be outsourced…
    There’s no normal amount. Everyone charges a different price.

How are you going to outsource it if you don’t have any money?

Gavin
    Up

this doesn’t mean i wont have any money in the near future. I have a contract for another venture due to start mid Jan…

I just don’t want to be charged an exorbitant amount.

one1
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    Gavin, post: 22267 wrote:
    Thanks for your input one1…

I’m more than capable of doing basic changes and adding pictures etc… From the feedback I think I’ll do an over haul and start afresh…

I am not certain if this question was directed to me, but as you mention the word outsourced, I will presume it was.

We, Think Easy Australia, don’t handle outsourced projects or small jobs. What we do is we enable you to employ 1 or more full time staff in our overseas office. So if you wanted a full time designer or website programmer, we would find you a suitable applicant and you would employ them through us (we manage everything and take the employment risk). In terms of salary cost, you are looking at paying around $450 per month for a standard university educated staff member and you are looking at paying slightly higher for staff with specialized IT/graphic skills.

Gavin
    Up

a bit much for what i need one1, What I need done would only take half and hour to an hour for someone who knew what they’re doing :)

Anonymous
    Up
    Gavin, post: 22278 wrote:
    a bit much for what i need one1, What I need done would only take half and hour to an hour for someone who knew what they’re doing :)

how would you know how long it would take if you’re not a designer or coder?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.