Home – New Forums Other discussions Should I close my business for my dream job?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    PR Gal
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’m hoping for some advice. I run my own small communications consultancy – it’s a business but essentially it’s just me I don’t have any staff – I use a network of freelancers. I started it in December 2011.

It’s going along ok, I’m paying my mortgage but certainly not earning as much as I earnt in the corporate world. I have great work/life balance and have finally built up a client base where I’m getting regular work.

The work I currently do is ok – I’m not passionate about it but it pays the bills and lets me live my life.

Cut a long story short, a very well known charity/not for profit wants to talk to me about a job that would be my dream job. Salary wise it would be about the same as what I earn now in my business (but obviously with no scope to earn more).

However it would be work that I would feel truly passionate about. Plus the charity/not for profit comes with lots of other benefits including flexible work arrangements and an excellent maternity leave package (I’m thinking about having a baby in the next 2 years).

They are also global and there is a high chance my partner will be moved overseas with his job in the next few years. It’s possible to get work with them in their overseas offices without too much trouble.

The role is a 2 year contract only which is also good in my mind – it has an end point.

I have had this charity as a client for about 2 years, so I know them and their culture well – I wouldn’t be walking into this blind. I know what the positives and negatives of working with them are.

There are pros and cons to working for yourself vs working for someone else. I just don’t know what to do?

Any advice from this community would be warmly received.

IncredibleCo
    • Total posts: 406
    Up

My advice is to do both.

In 2 years time you’ll regret not tending to the embers of your business now.

You said the job had flexible hours so why not?!

Best – Phil.

PR Gal
    Up

While I would love to do both – it’s just not feasible. When I say flexible hours I meant that you can work from home etc but it’s definitely a full time role. I couldn’t and wouldn’t want to do both – it would kill me!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    PR Gal, post: 207146 wrote:
    While I would love to do both – it’s just not feasible. When I say flexible hours I meant that you can work from home etc but it’s definitely a full time role. I couldn’t and wouldn’t want to do both – it would kill me!

Doing both may kill you, what what about scaling back your own business to just service your “favourite” clients, but sufficient to re kick start it in 2 years.

PR Gal
    Up

I like that I idea but even keeping my favourite clients I don’t know how I would do both? Most of my retainer clients are quite big and also want to see me for meetings etc – how would I swing that with a full time role?

ThexArm
    • Total posts: 253
    Up

It is a difficult decision to consider after building your business for 3 years. I also agree with Phil and BB1. First 2 to 3 years are the most difficult years in a start up. You really did that hard yard and now you are considering whether leaving it for a dream job a good idea. I too don’t want to shut off the store just because I found a dream job.

Since the dream job is with your current client, would it be possible to make it a part time job working 3 to 4 days a week? So that you can attend to your fav clients.

But again you have other considerations although these are more in the future based on certain permutations and combinations.

I wouldn’t close my business for anything if I love my business enough.

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi PR Girl

Although i understand your dilemma on the surface, i am going to take a rather radical diversion to others who are suggesting to either a) hold down both roles or b) take up the dream job + back burner the business… and go with c!

What is C? Really it is related to your comments, your initial post and reading your enthusiasm for the DREAM JOB OFFER! If you are asking us the question and posing most of the positives in your language towards the job and career and international travel opportunities i feel that you have already internally made a decision that the job is the best choice and i personally would be recommending this.

Most of your comments about your business are about just being able to pay the mortgage, working already with this client and so forth. Further to this, with the replies you also appear to be subconsciously dismissing them by saying its too hard to run both, or a killer or whatever…

Again, far from being negative just reading between the lines and how your disposition appears to be in favour of the ‘dream job’. As you are relatively new, i dont really ‘know’ you as such so am just reading this post on its face value and reading between the lines a little.

Personally, it sounds like an awesome opportunity for someone willing to work for another.. Although if it was me, i am unsure there would even be a decision as i love working for myself regardless of finances or travel etc etc..

Let us know your decision or how you progress.

Good luck
    Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    PR Gal
    Up

Thank you Jason – I hear you. I think yesterday I was living in a fantasy world and today I woke up to myself!

As much as I would love the job, like all things, the grass is always greener on the other side. And this morning I looked at all the pros of working for myself – and even after only 3 years I wonder how I would really go being an employee again?

Doing both things is not an option. It’s one or the other. But I had an epiphany this morning about all the pros of working for yourself and started thinking about other ways to run my business which would still enable having a baby/moving overseas (if that was to happen).

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi PR girl,

Welcome to the forum :)

It’s an interesting dilemma you’re facing, and I hope that the input from the brains trust here helps you to make a decision.

For my two cents worth, I’m wondering whether this opportunity is a bit of a jolt that you can use to help you refocus your work and your client list so that it becomes a business you’re passionate about again?

Hope that helps – please let us know what you decide,

Jayne

PR Gal
    Up

Yes i think it’s a jolt to thinking about what’s the purpose out of all of this and how does it sit with my life? Big question!

Michelle – Identity Shop
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

I would have chosen the ‘keep my own business’ option. It sounds like the possibility of something new (the dream job) has got you excited for your own business again!

All the best with your decision. :)

Michelle

PR Gal, post: 207181 wrote:
    Thank you Jason – I hear you. I think yesterday I was living in a fantasy world and today I woke up to myself!

As much as I would love the job, like all things, the grass is always greener on the other side. And this morning I looked at all the pros of working for myself – and even after only 3 years I wonder how I would really go being an employee again?

Doing both things is not an option. It’s one or the other. But I had an epiphany this morning about all the pros of working for yourself and started thinking about other ways to run my business which would still enable having a baby/moving overseas (if that was to happen).

Andy71
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hi PR Gal

Hmm .. tough choice. I was in a similar boat a few years ago. I also have a small communications consultancy and a few years ago took up an the offer to go in house with a client 3-4 days per week.

But I managed to keep my business going as well (although in a pared-down way .. just my favourite clients and no pitching for new work).

It was tough but I’m extremely glad I did it as the in house contract was terminated in a round of redundancies. I’ve since been solo full time for about two years and have built up a full and satisfying amount of work.

Prior to all this happening I had my ‘dream job’ with a charity for about 12 months, working on a major global campaign.

Yes there were good bits (international travel, doing something I cared about etc.). But I also found that the charity world can be as cut-throat as the corporate world. Just my experience .. not every charity is like this. You say you know the culture, which is a good thing.

One thing I’ve learned after working for myself for the last 5 or so year though, is that I really don’t like “management”.

And any inhouse job necessarily involves managing people/teams and dealing with bureaucracy. You obviously left that world for a reason I’m guessing.

My learning was that the freedom that comes from working for myself trumped the perks of an inhouse job .. even one I was passionate about. I’ve also found that passions can be many and varied and I now spend my free time indulging them in their myriad forms. It doesn’t have to all be channelled through the job.

Hope some/any of that is useful!

Good luck with it all

Andy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.