Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Should I continue with my blog or give up!!??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #963977
    The Cafe Ninja
    Member
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    0
    ::

    I set up my blog The Process Ninja a few months ago and I’ve put a lot of effort into it – writing posts every day, blogging on other websites, contacting companies – but I’m finding it rather depressing. I don’t feel I’m getting anywhere. 10 hits a day on my blog isn’t motivating me to keep going. I know that blogging takes time and patience, but really I’ve seen almost no progress since I started and I’m starting to think I should just shut it down and relax a bit more! I actually feel that I’ve put a lot of pressure on myself at a time in my life when I don’t need it (3 kids under two), but I would like to make connections and generate more process consultancy work. What do you think – keep going or quit and enjoy a less stressful life?

    #1001689
    Robert Gerrish
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi PN, You’ve a great writing style – far superior to many bloggers. Please tell us, how are you promoting the blog? What steps have you taken to build awareness of it? I feel a need to know more from you…

    #1001690
    Angela communic8 design
    Member
    • Total posts: 18
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi there,

    This is a timely post, I’m just about to start blogging. I’ve put it off for ages for many of the reasons you’ve cited. Actually I worked my way through to a fellow forum posters blog earlier today. I’ve heard of this person from other areas, she has quite a profile, her blog posts are great and comments? 0.

    I’m planning on minimizing my work by posting my e-zine articles on my blog to keep the content up. Do you write an e-news or e-zine. That might help you to get some time back with your lovely little ones. So in a sense I’m just using my blog as an alternative way to host my articles. I figure if I keep my expectations of my blog low I won’t be disappointed with lack of activity and interest.

    I’ve also spent quite a bit of time recently researching small business blogs in Australia, not a lot of comments on any that I came across. Perhaps we’re a nation of forum contributors?

    Love to hear if anyone out there is doing great things through their blogs and how.

    #1001691
    balm-energy
    Member
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    0
    ::

    I never get comments on my blog, but use it instead of writing my weekly ezine which was only ever getting 23% opening rate.
    My blog link is on all my email footers and on my website and it’s open to whomever is interested – I guess it depends what you are wanting to achieve though.

    I found the following blog really useful: http://northxeast.com/

    #1001692
    MissieK
    Member
    • Total posts: 234
    Up
    0
    ::

    Being a Mum, you could get involved in programs such as http://www.blogwhammy.com – I use this for one of my blogs and found the comments & traffic increased dramatically.

    I have seen a few blogs who offer prizes for the best comments as a way to encourage more comments…

    I see you’re on Facebook – there is a facebook blog feature you can use as promotion for your blog.

    I hope this helps :)

    Melissa

    #1001693
    Susan Oakes
    Member
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    0
    ::

    Blogging does take time and some of the most popuar blogs in the world like Small Business Trends with over 250,000 subscribers only gets a few comments on some posts.

    Have your subscribers increased over the time you have been blogging? As there are too many ways to list here about increasing visitors, comments etc two good sites with relevant tips are
    Problogger and Copyblogger

    Good luck

    #1001694
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    0
    ::

    Dear Process Ninja

    I think you are doing quite well with 10 hits a day. They say that there is a new blog created every 3 seconds so that’s over 7 million in the last 120 days. You have some competition.

    I suggest that you keep going for at least six months and try different things like attaching sound and even video to your blog. Don’t be scared to be controversial.

    cheers,
    Warren

    360 Digital Performance

    #1001695
    Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    Member
    • Total posts: 112
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi
    The answer to your get going / give up question could be found in your goals – what is the purpose of the blog? What did you hope it would achieve? Is there another tactic you could use that would take less time but achieve a similiar result?

    I don’t get heaps of hits on my blog either, but I keep blogging away as I know it helps my google rankings. I’ve developed a repurposing system that keeps my writing time down, but still provides good content for the blog.

    One more thing – I don’t stress out if I miss a couple of weeks! (no-one died!!) Sometimes you come back fresher and more inspired ;-)

    #1001696
    Jexley
    Member
    • Total posts: 382
    Up
    0
    ::

    Blogging is a lot like the Social Media sites, you have to get into the community of it to really feel the effects. Much like that other thread about Networking and such, marketing your blog is the same. You have to get “out there” and meet folks.

    You’ve got a pretty cool blog there, do you read any that are similar? If so, do you comment on them? If so, do you use the Process Ninja Blog as the link? See where I’m going here?

    Alternatively, you can slap those posts in Digg and Redditt and SU and Delicious and all of those, and then spend the same amount of time checking out other people’s bookmarks and becoming active in that style of “community”. Again, it’s all about getting out there.

    Bob’s right too, you do write well, don’t get too stressed or feel too much pressure about writing, it will negatively affect your writing. And if that happens, not much point in writing then is there? Relax, do it when you feel it, and you’ll continue to rock.

    Good luck.

    #1001697
    Burgo
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,099
    Up
    0
    ::

    I started a blog a couple of months ago as I wanted to put some thoughts somewhere, that others who might be interested may wish to go. So far I have had no comments, and Ive told no one about it, but at least Ive been able to say a few thing out loud without disturbing anyone.

    However I much prefer forums to communicate with others

    #1001698
    MissieK
    Member
    • Total posts: 234
    Up
    0
    ::

    If it helps, I blogged about you & linked to your site today on my blog at http://www.businessmumsblog.com :)

    Melissa

    #1001699
    The Cafe Ninja
    Member
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    0
    ::
    robert_gerrish, post: 738 wrote:
    Hi PN, You’ve a great writing style – far superior to many bloggers. Please tell us, how are you promoting the blog? What steps have you taken to build awareness of it? I feel a need to know more from you…

    Hi Robert – I’ve tried a few things:

    – Registering it with blog sites
    – Advertising it via linkedin forums
    – Posting to facebook
    – Contacting other bloggers of similar areas
    – Marketing it to friends and colleagues
    – I also ran a competition in conjunction with another process blogger which worked well

    Maybe I am being over critical – I currently get 21 hits per day on average and have 40 subscribers.

    I think I was putting to much pressure on myself to put everything on there. I now focus on writing original content (my “How to be a process ninja series”)…I enjoy writing that, which is the main thing. Since I posted this blog entry I’ve been really pleased to see some positive feedback. I like to think my blog is a little bit different, after all, it’s a big bit me!

    #1001700
    The Cafe Ninja
    Member
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    0
    ::
    Angela, communic8 design, post: 739 wrote:
    Hi there,

    This is a timely post, I’m just about to start blogging. I’ve put it off for ages for many of the reasons you’ve cited. Actually I worked my way through to a fellow forum posters blog earlier today. I’ve heard of this person from other areas, she has quite a profile, her blog posts are great and comments? 0.

    I’m planning on minimizing my work by posting my e-zine articles on my blog to keep the content up. Do you write an e-news or e-zine. That might help you to get some time back with your lovely little ones. So in a sense I’m just using my blog as an alternative way to host my articles. I figure if I keep my expectations of my blog low I won’t be disappointed with lack of activity and interest.

    I’ve also spent quite a bit of time recently researching small business blogs in Australia, not a lot of comments on any that I came across. Perhaps we’re a nation of forum contributors?

    Love to hear if anyone out there is doing great things through their blogs and how.

    From reading problogger and seth’s blog comments are pretty rare…people don’t seem to be that interested in commenting. That doesn’t bother me too much as long as I know people are listening.

    I think I’ve come to terms that my blog has to express who I am, and if I enjoy doing it, that’s good enough for now. So I’m focussing on posting short incisive posts on a daily basis.

    I don’t write an ezine – I wouldn’t know how!

    #1001701
    The Cafe Ninja
    Member
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    0
    ::
    MissieK, post: 821 wrote:
    If it helps, I blogged about you & linked to your site today on my blog at http://www.businessmumsblog.com :)

    Melissa

    Thanks very much!!!

    #1001702
    The Cafe Ninja
    Member
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    0
    ::
    balm-energy, post: 741 wrote:
    I never get comments on my blog, but use it instead of writing my weekly ezine which was only ever getting 23% opening rate.
    My blog link is on all my email footers and on my website and it’s open to whomever is interested – I guess it depends what you are wanting to achieve though.

    I found the following blog really useful: http://northxeast.com/

    Thanks – that’s a really useful blog!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.