Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Should I continue with my blog or give up!!??

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    The Cafe Ninja
    • Total posts: 124
    Up
    ::
    Susan Oakes, post: 794 wrote:
    Blogging does take time and some of the most popuar blogs in the world like Small Business Trends with over 250,000 subscribers only gets a few comments on some posts.

Have your subscribers increased over the time you have been blogging? As there are too many ways to list here about increasing visitors, comments etc two good sites with relevant tips are
    Problogger and Copyblogger

Good luck

Thanks – I get progblogger updates on a daily basis – I actually find problogger really stressful as I feel I am so far behind the times!

My subscribers have increased from 0-40 in about 3 months…

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    warrenc, post: 800 wrote:
    Dear Process Ninja

I think you are doing quite well with 10 hits a day. They say that there is a new blog created every 3 seconds so that’s over 7 million in the last 120 days. You have some competition.

I suggest that you keep going for at least six months and try different things like attaching sound and even video to your blog. Don’t be scared to be controversial.

cheers,
    Warren

360 Digital Performance

Thanks Warren – I originally started off doing video posts (which I like doing) but finding the time at home during the onslaught of the little monsters was difficult – so I only have a “blog during working hours rule” now…I’m working on being controversial!

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Lisa Murray – Biz Coach, post: 802 wrote:
    Hi
    The answer to your get going / give up question could be found in your goals – what is the purpose of the blog? What did you hope it would achieve? Is there another tactic you could use that would take less time but achieve a similiar result?

I don’t get heaps of hits on my blog either, but I keep blogging away as I know it helps my google rankings. I’ve developed a repurposing system that keeps my writing time down, but still provides good content for the blog.

One more thing – I don’t stress out if I miss a couple of weeks! (no-one died!!) Sometimes you come back fresher and more inspired ;-)

Hi Lisa…basically as I work mostly as a contractor I lose 20-30% of my potential earnings by working via agencies. My goal was to use the blog as a tool to make new connections and generate work where I could “cut out the middleman”.

What is repurposing?

Treviously I worked on making connections via linkedin, but that didn’t lead to much…

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Jexley, post: 806 wrote:
    Blogging is a lot like the Social Media sites, you have to get into the community of it to really feel the effects. Much like that other thread about Networking and such, marketing your blog is the same. You have to get “out there” and meet folks.

You’ve got a pretty cool blog there, do you read any that are similar? If so, do you comment on them? If so, do you use the Process Ninja Blog as the link? See where I’m going here?

Alternatively, you can slap those posts in Digg and Redditt and SU and Delicious and all of those, and then spend the same amount of time checking out other people’s bookmarks and becoming active in that style of “community”. Again, it’s all about getting out there.

Bob’s right too, you do write well, don’t get too stressed or feel too much pressure about writing, it will negatively affect your writing. And if that happens, not much point in writing then is there? Relax, do it when you feel it, and you’ll continue to rock.

Good luck.

Hi Jexley, I do try to get onto as many business blogs as I can but to be honest I find most of them so boring that they don’t keep my interest! So I struggle to find many good business blogs…I am open to suggestions! At the moment I like Seth’s Blog / Gary Vaynerchuk but the rest put me to sleep…

Digg and all those other things I find totally confusing…I just don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with them (and this is coming from a guy who is IT savvy!)

Thanks…I really appreciate the +ve feedback on the blog!

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    Burgo, post: 810 wrote:
    I started a blog a couple of months ago as I wanted to put some thoughts somewhere, that others who might be interested may wish to go. So far I have had no comments, and Ive told no one about it, but at least Ive been able to say a few thing out loud without disturbing anyone.

However I much prefer forums to communicate with others

What’s the address of your blog???

bchapman
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    The Process Ninja, post: 1110 wrote:
    …I do try to get onto as many business blogs as I can but to be honest I find most of them so boring that they don’t keep my interest! So I struggle to find many good business blogs…

..Digg and all those other things I find totally confusing…I just don’t understand what I’m supposed to do with them (and this is coming from a guy who is IT savvy!)..

If you’re finding other blogs boring, are you sure you’re writing for the right audience? You should have a very specific target audience in mind when you’re writing your posts. If you’re trying to be all things to all people (one of my early mistakes) then you’re likely to be no value to any of them. With the whole universe of blogs out there on the internet, you’re really going to have to drill right down to the specific niche you are in and just concentrate on that one niche until you’ve covered all angles.

My blog gets about 2,000 views per month, and I only post about once or twice per month. The blog isn’t a major priority for me – I treat it more as a communication channel for customers than a sales channel. I don’t know how many subscribers I have, 70% of the traffic comes in from Google, 9% comes in direct, and 7% comes in from a forum related to what I do where I post relatively frequently. The rest is miscellaneous links. About 80% of my posts get at least one comment, some many more. But then, I try and comment on as many blogs as possible – it really is a case of what goes around, comes around.

I say this because you should probably concentrate on google traffic to get going. You want to write posts that index well for chosen keywords, and that those posts convert readers into subscribers. You just can’t expect to spread word of mouth, you need search traffic. If you’re not actively targeting search traffic, you’re probably not going to get over the hump. Additionally, in my case, my blog is mostly related to a specific community where I am active. This generates traffic and also makes you ‘known’ to other bloggers.

As for Digg etc, it’s unlikely you’ll make much of an impact in these types of sites unless you’re well organised (read: have friends to vote for you) and/or your specific niche is well trafficked in Digg itself – if you don’t fall neatly into one of the menu items on Digg, you’re not likely to do well.

I would suggest you find Yaro Starak’s blog. He used to be a contributor to FlyingSolo and now runs a blog about building blogs. He has membership programs to make a success out of your blogging. I personally am not a member, I just read the free information, but there’s a lot of good information there, particularly if you’re not sure where to start.

Robert Gerrish
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    The Process Ninja, post: 1101 wrote:
    Hi Robert – I’ve tried a few things:

– Registering it with blog sites
    – Advertising it via linkedin forums
    – Posting to facebook
    – Contacting other bloggers of similar areas
    – Marketing it to friends and colleagues
    – I also ran a competition in conjunction with another process blogger which worked well

I would say your blog is doing fine and it’s great to see so many encouraging posts. You are clearly doing a good deal of promotion online, I would consider doing a little more offline. Local media are often on the lookout for new content and it’s very easy to adapt blog posts into short articles. At Flying Solo we distribute our content freely and have had good success republishing in the printed media.

I also speak to small business groups on a regular basis and always end my talks with an invitation to subscribe to our weekly newsletter. We have some free reports that appeal to the audience and I’d estimate this has generated 400-500 new subs in 2008.

So my message is – Don’t forget offline!

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    robert_gerrish, post: 1233 wrote:
    I would say your blog is doing fine and it’s great to see so many encouraging posts. You are clearly doing a good deal of promotion online, I would consider doing a little more offline. Local media are often on the lookout for new content and it’s very easy to adapt blog posts into short articles. At Flying Solo we distribute our content freely and have had good success republishing in the printed media.

I also speak to small business groups on a regular basis and always end my talks with an invitation to subscribe to our weekly newsletter. We have some free reports that appeal to the audience and I’d estimate this has generated 400-500 new subs in 2008.

So my message is – Don’t forget offline!

Thanks Robert – I could easily develop some articles out of my posts (I save each of them to a word doc I’m developing into an e-book “How to be a Process Ninja”), but how to go about distributing the content to printed media….I really don’t know where to start with that. Any tips?

Robert Gerrish
    Up

Hi again. In a nutshell, it’s all about building and sustaining relationships. The media get bombarded and the editors I have got to know over the years regularly mention the low incidence of people taking the time to understand what’s needed and to reliably and consistently deliver.

Follow target publications for a while, look for gaps and be gentle in your early approaches – no sending of attachments at the outset. Confirm the need first!

There’s a good article here and I recently did a little interview with blogger and media expert, Valerie Khoo. It hasn’t made it onto Flying Solo yet, but you can watch it here.

Hope this helps.

The Cafe Ninja
    Up
    robert_gerrish, post: 1237 wrote:
    Hi again. In a nutshell, it’s all about building and sustaining relationships. The media get bombarded and the editors I have got to know over the years regularly mention the low incidence of people taking the time to understand what’s needed and to reliably and consistently deliver.

Follow target publications for a while, look for gaps and be gentle in your early approaches – no sending of attachments at the outset. Confirm the need first!

There’s a good article here and I recently did a little interview with blogger and media expert, Valerie Khoo. It hasn’t made it onto Flying Solo yet, but you can watch it here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Robert – I’ll look at those in detail and get things going! In this day and age it’s easy to forget that the “old” media still exist!

Robert Gerrish
    Up

Quite right and it’s because so many tend to ignore old media, that so many great opportunities remain. We have a weekly column in The Telegraph – circulation 350,000+. In brand awareness alone it’s very valuable to us and our contributors.

Devan
    • Total posts: 57
    Up

You should probably look at reformatting your blog layout a little bit – I found it a bit too narrow on my widescreen to read comfortably, and that may be putting some of your readers off?

I have had exactly the same criticism about my blog, so I am in the process of putting together a new WordPress theme which is a bit easier on the eye.

The Cafe Ninja
    Up

Thanks, but that’s not my usual format…my usual one is a lot wider – this is just my christmas theme!

Elizabeth Richardson
    • Total posts: 16
    Up

Hello Process Ninja,

Sounds like you are taking the right steps to make your mark on the blogging world – well done.

Have you thought about your keyword selection and meta description?

At the moment they are –

• Google keyword selection tool tells me that process improvement only attracted 3600 searches last month. So the statistics show that only a few people are likely to type the keywords you’ve selected into a search box. You might like to use the keyword tool to select some more potent keywords and then occasionally include them in your posts.
    • It seems like what you give is good sound ADVICE. Maybe that word could be added to your keyword list…and then include it occasionally into your posts.
    • IMPORTANT – I checked your indexed pages at google…most are headed with something like this “The Process Ninja: How to be a Process Ninja – Episode 17″….now that’s not going to get you anywhere in searches either. You have to think like an ordinary person. What would someone type into a search box if they are looking for what you have to offer?

For instance, How to be a Process Ninja – Episode 17 could be called “What to wear for a job interview!”

All the best,

Elizabeth Richardson

P.S. The stuff flashing up on your twitterpage is loaded with foul language tonight. Is that normal?

lindyasimus
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

How funny, I just realised I’d read this whole thread wondering what a Princess Ninja was! ;-)

Are you networking online and offline?

You might like to check out MyBlogLog and join some communities there. It is another way to get exposure for your blogs.

Some great advice has been posted already, on keywords and commenting on other blogs that interest you. I’d add that places like this forum will be a useful way to get feedback, and more exposure, as will getting involved in LinkedIn and some of the networks at Ning.com that have a high concentration of Linkedin members. Vincent Wright’s MyLinkingPowerNetwork springs to mind.

Your business is focused on an area that I’ve seen get little attention online in networks, so there is reason to hope that your specialty should be well served as your blogs accrue and are picked up by Google. If you do as suggested and name your blogs in line with the keywords they are about, then you should find you are getting some traction on Google soon and the blog posts will be turning up in searches for your topic. Make sure your contact details are available on each and every post so people can contact you if they wish to. Ultimately this is the kind of feedback that make the difference. The kind that converts to business.

Best to you.

Lindy

Lindy Asimus
    Personal Business Coach
    Small Business Coaching-NLP-Marketing Newcastle NSW

The Process Ninja, post: 735 wrote:
    I set up my blog The Process Ninja a few months ago and I’ve put a lot of effort into it – writing posts every day, blogging on other websites, contacting companies – but I’m finding it rather depressing. I don’t feel I’m getting anywhere. 10 hits a day on my blog isn’t motivating me to keep going. I know that blogging takes time and patience, but really I’ve seen almost no progress since I started and I’m starting to think I should just shut it down and relax a bit more! I actually feel that I’ve put a lot of pressure on myself at a time in my life when I don’t need it (3 kids under two), but I would like to make connections and generate more process consultancy work. What do you think – keep going or quit and enjoy a less stressful life?
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.