Home – New Forums Starting your journey Should I open a physical shop besides an e-commerce?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Peter Watson
    • Total posts: 98
    Up
    ::

Just like online marketing or SEO, you don’t really know what will bring in the sales for your business in your niche unless you try it!

Give it a go for 1 year. The results will speak for themselves.

Qinnie(OzFairTrade)
    • Total posts: 47
    Up
    ::

Thank you for all your good advice! I’d like to share some updates. I found a little shop which seems to be perfect for Oz Fair Trade. I inspected the place and the owner is friendly and willing to accept a one year lease, unlike others I’ve talked to.

Then it dawned on me…having a shop will mean no more free weekends, no more inter-state trips to see parents, less income if I need to take day/s off work, 7 working days (e.g. 4 to pay bills and 3 to run the shop), little time for my partner, no more holidays…and what happens if I’m sick? Rent doesn’t stop. So a lot of my hard work will simply be paying rent i.e. working for the landlord.

On one hand, I would love to have a shop I can call my own, decorated with all sustainable furniture and filled with fair trade goodies. On the other hand, there is a real danger of burning out both financially and emotionally.

Suddenly I have a lot more respect for the shop owners, especially small business owners who can’t afford to hire. For now, I might just settle with weekend markets and an online store, which offers greater flexibility and lower fixed cost. When I’m sick, at least nobody will know that a woman dressed in pajamas and walked around with sleepy eyes packed her order.

When the time is right, I will re-consider opening a store. I will need a team I can rely on when I’m sick or away. Flying solo is hard.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.